- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Exercise Effect Applied to Patients Who Underwent Lung Resection with Lung Cancer: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
폐암으로 폐 절제술을 시행한 환자에게 적용한 운동 효과: 체계적 문헌고찰과 메타분석
- Received : 2018.05.03
- Accepted : 2018.06.22
- Published : 2018.06.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate systematic review and meta-analysisto identify exercise intervention effect applied to patients who underwent lung resection with lung cancer. A total of 1,322 publications were searched from 1990 to 2016 through domestic and foreign electronic databases, and the final 13 publications were selected through literature selection process. Finally, eight RCT (randomized controlled trial) and five NRCT (non-randomized controlled trial) were identified, including 925 participants. The results of the meta-analysis of the effect sizes of the intervention on the outcome variables showed that the health-related quality of life EORTC QOL-C13/30 (the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Core Quality of Life Questionnaire) (MD-0.50 95 % CI -0.83-0.18) and SF-36 PCS (the Medical Outcomes 36-Item Short Form Health Survey PCS) (MD 0.75, 95 % CI 0.41-1.10) in the intervention group were significantly higher than the control group. The results of this study suggest that exercise interventions can potentially improve the quality of life of patients who underwent lung resection with lung cancer.
- R. Siegel, D. Naishadham, and A. Jemal, "Cancer statistics, 2013," CA: a cancer journal for clinicians, Vol.63, No.1, pp.11-30, 2013. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21166
- J. Ferlay, I. Soerjomataram, R. Dikshit, S. Eser, C. Mathers, M. Rebelo, D. M. Parkin, D. F. Forman, and F. Bray, "Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: sources, methods and major patterns in GLOBOCAN 2012," International journal of cancer, Vol.136, No.52, pp.E359-E386, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.29210
- P. B. Bach, J. N. Mirkin, T. K. Oliver, C. G. Azzoli, D. A. Berry, O. W. Brawley, T. Byers, G. A. Colditz, M. K. Gould, J. R. Jett, A. L. sabichi, R. S.mith-Bindman, D. E. Wood, A. Qaseem, and F. C. Detterbek, "Benefits and harms of CT screening for lung cancer: a systematic review," Jama, Vol.307, No.22, pp.2418-2429, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2012.5521
- R. Wender, E. T. Fontham, E. Barrera, G. A. Colditz, T. R. Church, D. S. Ettinger, R. Etzioniet , C. R. Flowers, G. S. Gazelle, D. K. Kelsey, S. J. LaMonte, J. S. Michaelson, K. C. Oeffinger, Ya-Chen T. Shih, D. C. Sullivan, W. Travis, L. Walter, A. M. D. Wolf, O. W. Brawley, and R. A. Smith, "American Cancer Society lung cancer screening guidelines," CA: a cancer journal for clinicians, Vol.63, No.2, pp.106-117, 2013. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21172
- http://www.hira.or.kr/dummy.do?pgmid=HI RAA020041000000&cmsurl=/cms/inform/02/1344320_27116.html&subject=심사평가원, 2018.6.5.
- http://www.hira.or.kr/co/search.do?search Word=%ED%8F%90%EC%95%94%EC%A0%81%EC%A0%95%EC%84%B1, 2018.6.5.
- N. Mujovic, N. Mujovic, D. Subotic, M. Ercegovac, A. Milovanovic, L. Nikcevic, V. Zug- ic, and D. Nikolic, "Influence of pulmonary rehabilitation on lung function changes after the lung resection for primary lung cancer in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease," Aging and disease, Vol.6, No.6, p.466, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14336/AD.2015.0503
- J. A. Sloan, X. Zhao, P. J. Novotny, J. Wampfler, Y. Garces, M. M. Clark, and P. Uang, "Relationship between deficits in overall quality of life and non-small-cell lung cancer survival," J. of Clinical Oncology, Vol.30, No.13, p.1498, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2010.33.4631
- P. Agostini, H. Cieslik, S. Rathinam, E. Bishay, M. Kalkat, P. Rajesh, R. S. Steyn, S. S.ingh, and B. Naidu, "Postoperative pulmonary complications following thoracic surgery: are there any modifiable risk factors?," Thorax, Vol.65, No.9, pp.815-818, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1136/thx.2009.123083
- G. Varela, E. Ballesteros, M. F. Jimenez, N. Novoa, and J. L. Aranda, "Cost-effectiveness analysis of prophylactic respiratory physiotherapy in pulmonary lobectomy," European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery, Vol.29, No.2, pp.216-220, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejcts.2005.11.002
- A. Cesario, L. Ferri, D. Galetta, F. Pasqua, S. Bonassi, E. Clini, G. Biscione, V. Cardaci, S. di Toro, A. Zarzana, S. Margaritora, A. Piraino, P. Russo, S. Sterzi, and P. Granone, "Postoperative respiratory rehabilitation after lung resection for non-small cell lung cancer, Lung cancer," Vol.57, No.2, pp.175-180, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2007.02.017
- V. Cavalheri, F. Tahirah, M. Nonoyama, S. Jenkins, and K. Hill, "Exercise training for people following lung resection for non-small cell lung cancer-A Cochrane systematic review," Cancer treatment reviews, Vol.40, No.4, pp.585-594, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctrv.2013.11.001
- S. Pouwels, J. Fiddelaers, J. A. Teijink, J. F. ter Woorst, J. Siebenga, and F. W. Smeenk, "Preoperative exercise therapy in lung surgery patients: a systematic review," Respiratory medicine, Vol.109, No.12, pp.1495-1504, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rmed.2015.08.009
- N. M. Rueth, H. M. Parsons, E. B. Habermann, S. S. Groth, B. A. Virnig, T. M. Tuttle, R. S. Andrade, M. Maddaus, and D. Jonathan, "The long-term impact of surgical complications after resection of stage I nonsmall cell lung cancer: a population-based survival analysis," Annals of surgery, Vol.254, No.2, pp.368-374, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0b013e31822150fe
- J. P. Higgins and S. Green, Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions, Wiley Online Library, 2008.
- R. DerSimonian and N. Laird, "Meta-analysis in clinical trials," Controlled clinical trials, Vol.7, No.3, pp.177-188, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1016/0197-2456(86)90046-2
- R. Benzo, D. Wigle, P. Novotny, M. Wetzstein, F. Nichols, R. K. Shen, S. Cassivi, and C. Deschamps, "Preoperative pulmonary rehabilitation before lung cancer resection: results from two randomized studies," Lung Cancer, Vol.74, No.3, pp.441-445, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2011.05.011
- I. Kim and H. Lee, "Effects of a progressive walking program on physical activity, exercise tolerance, recovery, and post-operative complications in patients with a lung resection," J. Korean Acad Nurs, Vol.44, No.4, pp.381-390, 2014. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2014.44.4.381
- S. K. Kim, Y. H. Ahn, J. A. Yoon, M. J. Shin, J. H. Chang, J. S. Cho, M. K. Lee, M. H. Kim, E. Y. Yun, J. H. Jeong, and Y. B. Shin, "Efficacy of Systemic Postoperative Pulmonary Rehabilitation After Lung Resec- tion Surgery," Annals of rehabilitation medicine, Vol.39, No.3, pp.366-373, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5535/arm.2015.39.3.366
- E. Pehlivan, A. Turna, A. Gurses, and H. N. Gurses, "The effects of preoperative short- term intense physical therapy in lung cancer patients: A randomized controlled trial," Annals of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Vol.17, No.5, pp.461-468, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5761/atcs.oa.11.01663
- C. L. Granger, C. Chao, C. F. McDonald, S. Berney, and L. Denehy, "Safety and feasibility of an exercise intervention for patients following lung resection: a pilot randomized controlled trial," Integrative cancer therapies, Vol.12, No.3, pp.213-224, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1177/1534735412450461
- B. C. Brocki, J. Andreasen, L. R. Nielsen, V. Nekrasas, A. Gorst-Rasmussen, and E. Westerdahl, "Short and long-term effects of supervised versus unsupervised exercise training on health-related quality of life and functional outcomes following lung cancer surgery - a randomized controlled trial," Lung cancer (Amsterdam, Netherlands) [Internet], Vol.83, No.1, pp.102-108, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2013.10.015
- N. W. Chang, K. C. Lin, S. C. Lee, J. Y. H. Chan, Y. H. Lee, and K. Y. Wang, "Effects of an early postoperative walking exercise programme on health status in lung cancer patients recovering from lung lobectomy," J. of clinical nursing, Vol.23, No.23-24, pp.3391-3402, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.12584
- E. Edvardsen, O. H. Skjonsberg, I. Holme, L. Nordsletten, F. Borchsenius, and S. A. Anderssen, "High-intensity training following lung cancer surgery: a randomised controlled trial," Thorax, Vol.70, No.3, pp.244-250, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1136/thoraxjnl-2014-205944
- J. A. Stigt, S. M. Uil, S. J. Riesen, F. J. Simons, M. Denekamp, G. M. Shahin, and H. J. M. Groen, "A randomized controlled trial of postthoracotomy pulmonary rehabilitation in patients with resectable lung cancer," J. of thoracic oncology, Vol.8, No.2, pp.214-221, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1097/JTO.0b013e318279d52a
- G. Arbane, D. Tropman, D. Jackson, and R. Garrod, "Evaluation of an early exercise intervention after thoracotomy for non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC), effects on quality of life, muscle strength and exercise tolerance: randomised controlled trial," Lung Cancer, Vol.71, No.2, pp.229-234, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2010.04.025
- K. J. Jung and Y. S. Lee, "The effect of a breathing exercise intervention on pulmonary function after lung lobectomy," J. of Korean Oncology Nursing, Vol.10, No.1, pp.95-102, 2010.
- I. H. Kim and H. J. Lee, "Effects of a Progressive Walking Program on Physical Activity, Exercise Tolerance, Recovery, and Post-Operative Complications in Patients with a Lung Resection," J. of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol.44, No.4, pp.381-390, 2014. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2014.44.4.381
- P. Agostini, B. Naidu, H. Cieslik, R. Steyn, P. B. Rajesh, E. Bishay, M. S. Kalkat, and S. Singh, "Effectiveness of incentive spirometry in patients following thoracotomy and lung resection including those at high risk for developing pulmonary complications," Thorax, Vol.68, No.6, pp.580-585, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1136/thoraxjnl-2012-202785
- R. Benzo, D. Wigle, P. Novotny, M. Wetzstein, F. Nichols, R. K. Shen, S. Cassivi, and C. Deschamps, "Preoperative pulmonary rehabilitation before lung cancer resection: results from two randomized studies," Lung cancer (Amsterdam, Netherlands) [Internet], Vol.74, No.3, pp.441-445, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2011.05.011
- S. Y. Kim, J. E. Park, H. J. Seo, Y. J. Lee, B. H. Jang, H. J. Son, H. S. and Suh, and C. M. Shin, NECA's guidance for undertaking systematic reviews and meta-analyses for intervention, Seoul: National Evidence-based Healthcare collabprating Agency, 2011.
- J. Travers, D. J. Dudgeon, K. Amjadi, I. McBride, K. Dillon, P. Laveneziana, D. Ofir, K. A. Webb, and D. E. O'Donnell "Mechanisms of exertional dyspnea in patients with cancer," J. of Applied Physiology, Vol.104, No.1 pp.57-66, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1152/japplphysiol.00653.2007