- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effect of Fundamental Nursing Class using Evidence-Based Practice
근거기반실무를 활용한 기본간호학 수업 운영의 효과
- Received : 2018.03.08
- Accepted : 2018.05.24
- Published : 2018.06.28
The nursing education with evidence-based practice(EBP) should set a differentiated education strategy according to the level of the learner, so that the students experience it step by step and it leads them to be skilled. The purpose of this study was to integrate and operate the EBP in the fundamental nursing classes of the second grade students and to verify the effectiveness on improvement of EBP basic competency of them. A non-equivalent control group pretest-posttest design was used. The subjects were 108 students in the second year of nursing at the two universities. The experimental group participated in the class for 8 weeks and 24 hours during the 15-weeks, second semester 2016 and the control group participated in general fundamental nursing class. Data were collected proactivity in problem solving, future use of EBP, and critical thinking disposition instrument and analyzed using SPSS/WIN 23.0 program with Chi-square test, independent t-test. The experimental group had a significant increase in proactivity in problem solving and future use of EBP compared to the control group. However, there was no significant difference in critical thinking disposition between the two groups. Findings indicate that the fundamental nursing class used EBP was an effective lesson to improve proactivity in problem solving and future use of EBP, which is the EBP basic competency for the lower grader. Long-term efforts are needed to improve the EBP competence and critical thinking of nursing students by curriculum appropriate to grade-based goals of EBP.
Supported by : 국립목포대학교
- E. Fineout-Overholt, B. M. Melnyk, and A. Schultz, "Transforming health care from the inside out: Advancing evidence-based practice in the 21st century," J. of Professional Nursing, Vol.21, No.6, pp.335-344, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2005.10.005
- A. DiCenso, G. Guyatt, and D. Ciliska, Evidence based nursing: A guide to clinical practice, Elsevier, 2005.
- H. Saunders and K. Vehvilainen-Julkunen, "The state of readiness for evidence-based practice among nurses: An integrative review," International J. of Nursing Studies, Vol.56, No.1, pp.128-140, 2015.
- D. Ciliska, "Educating for evidence-based practice," J. of Professional Nursing, Vol.21, No.6, pp.345-350, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2005.10.008
- S. D. Moch, R. J. Cronje, and J. Branson, "Part I. undergraduate nursing evidence-based practice education: Envisioning the role of students," J. of Professional Nursing, Vol.26, No.1, pp.5-13, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2009.01.015
- S. Ryu, S. W. Yun, and Y. S. Kim, "Trends in evidence-based nursing research in South Korea," J. of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, Vol.23, No.4, pp.385-339, 2017. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2017.23.4.385
- K. M. Williamson, E. Fineout-Overholt, B. Kent, and A. M. Hutchinson, "Teaching EBP: Integrating technology into academic curricula to facilitate evidence-based decision-making," Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing, Vol.8, No.4, pp.247-251, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-6787.2010.00192.x
- B. M. Melnyk, "Educational programming in undergraduate and graduate academic curricula: Friend or foe to accelerating evidence-based practice?," Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing, Vol.10, No.4, pp.185-186, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1111/wvn.12020
- S. Ryu, Y. S. Kim, and Y. H. Kim, "Factors influencing of evidence based practice competency and evidence-based practice readiness in general hospital nurses," J. of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, Vol.22, No.5, pp.448-460, 2016. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.5.448
- M. H. Choi, Y. H. Kim, and H. M. Son, "Factors influencing evidence-based practice attitudes among undergraduate nursing students," J. of Korean academic society of nursing education, Vol.22, No.3, pp.274-282, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.3.274
- J. S. Kim, Development and effects of the evidence-based practice education program for undegraduate nursing students, Gyeongsang National University, Doctoral dissertation, 2014.
- M. G. Titler, "Evidence based nursing in nursing education. Evidence based nursing: Theory, research and practice," Proc. Kyungbook National University International Symposium, pp.1-25, 2002.
- L. E. Burke, E. A. Schlenk, S. M. Sereika, S. M. Cohen, M. B Happ, and J. S. Dorman, "Developing research competence to support evidence-based practice," J. of Professional Nursing, Vol.21, No.6, pp.358-363, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2005.10.011
- D. F. Hunker, E. A. Gazza, and T. Shellenbarger, "Evidence-based knowledge, skills and attitudes for scholarly writing development across all levels of nursing education," J. of Professional Nursing, Vol.30, No.4, pp.341-346, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2013.11.003
- B. J. McNeil, V. L. Elfrink, C. J. Bickford, S. T. Pierce, S. C. Beyea, C. Averill, and C. Klappenbach, "Nursing information technology knowledge, skills, and preparation of student nurses, nursing faculty, and clinicians: A U.S. survey," J. of Nursing Education, Vol.42, No.8, pp.341-349, 2003.
- I. H. Park, "Evidence based practice education in medicine," Pro. 2013 conference Korean Society of Evidence-Based Nursing, pp.27-62, 2013.
- M. Park, "Effects of Evidence Based Practice Integrated Critical Care Clinical Practicum," J. of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol.17, No.3, pp.348-356, 2011.
- S. Ryu and S. W. Yun, "Pilot study of adult nursing clinical practicum module using evidence-based practice," J. of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, Vol.18, No.6, pp.761-779, 2018. https://doi.org/10.22251/jlcci.2018.18.6.761
- K. S. Jang, E. A. Kim, and H. Y. Park, "The effects of an evidence-based nursing course using action learning on undergraduate nursing students," J. Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol.21, No.1, pp.119-128, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.1.119
- E. O. Gu, M. S. Cho, Y. A. Cho, J. S. Jeong, I. S. Jeong, and J. S. Park, "Topics for evidencebased clinical nursing practice guidelines in Korea," J. of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, Vol.17, No.3, pp.307-318, 2011.
- L. C. Marshall, The relationship between efficacy, teamwork, effort and patient satisfaction, University of Southern California, Doctoral dissertation, 2013.
- E. M. Kwon, The correlation among team efficacy, interpersonal understanding, proactivity in problem solving and team performance, Ehwa Womans University, Master's thesis, 2010.
- J. M. Johnston, G. M. Leung, R. Fielding, K. Y. Tin, and L. Ho, "The development and validation of a knowledge, attitude and behaviour questionnaire to assess undergraduate evidence‐based practice teaching and learning," Medical Education, Vol.37, No.11, pp.992-1000, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2923.2003.01678.x
- I. S. Kwon, G. E. Lee, G. D. Kim, Y. H. Kim, K. M. Park, H. S. Park, S. K. Sohn, W. S. Lee, K. S. Jang, and B. Y. Chung, "Development of a critical thinking disposition scale for nursing students," J. of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol.36, No.6, pp.950-958, 2006. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.6.950
- H. A. Mennenga and T. Smyer, "A model for easily incorporating team-based learning into nursing education," International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, Vol.7, No.1, pp.1-14, 2010.
- I. Ajzen, "The theory of planned behavior," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Process, Vol.50, No.2, pp.179-211, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(91)90020-T
- Y. S. Jeong, I. H. Park, S. W. Cho, Y. H. Cho, E. Y. Choi, and J. H. Kim, "Knowledge and attitude of family medicine residents towards evidence-based medicine," Korean Journal of Family Medicine, Vol.27, No.12, pp.975-981, 2006.
- C. E. Brown, S. C. Kim, J. F. Stichler, and W. Fields, "Predictors of knowledge, attitudes, use and future use of evidence-based practice among baccalaureate nursing students at two universities," Nurse Education Today, Vol.30, No.6, pp.521-527, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2009.10.021
- R. Alfaro-LeFevre, Critical thinking in nursing: a practical approach, W. B. Saunders, 1999.
- P. McCarthy, P. Schuster, P. Zehr, and D. McDougal, "Evaluation of critical thinking in a baccalaureate nursing program," J. of Nursing Education, Vol.38, No.3, pp.142-144, 1999.
- H. K. Burns and S. M. Foley, "Building a foundation for an evidence-based approach to practice: Teaching basic concepts to undergraduate freshman students," J. of Professional Nursing, Vol.21, No.6, pp.351-357, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2005.10.001
- S. Wangensteen, I. S. Johansson, M. E. Bjoorkstroom, and G. Nordstroom, "Research utilisation and critical thinking among newly graduated nurses: Predictors for research use. a quantitative cross‐sectional study," J. of Clinical Nursing, Vol.20, No.17-18, pp.2436-2447, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2010.03629.x
- K. R. Shin, J. Y. Ha, and K. H. Kim, "A longitudinal study of critical thinking dispositions & critical thinking skills in baccalaureate nursing students," J. Korean Academy Nursing, Vol.35, No.2, pp.382-389, 2005. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.2.382