- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Hybrid Governor for Wearable OS Using H/W Low-power Features
하드웨어 저전력 기능을 활용한 웨어러블 운영체제의 하이브리드 가버너
- Received : 2018.01.11
- Accepted : 2018.06.04
- Published : 2018.06.30
Wearable devices have become widespread. Fitness band is one of common wearable devices, providing useful functions. It helps users to monitor and collect their status such as heart rate and travel distance. Wearable devices, including fitness bands, are designed in small size and it ends up having small battery capacity. In that regard, it is necessary to expand the lifetime of wearable devices. Conventional power management scheme of wearable devices is based on DVFS Ondemand Governor and peripheral control by timeout event, such as turning off the LCD. In this paper, we propose a hybrid governor applying hardware supporting low power mode such as sleep mode to exploit the periodicity of fitness band task. In addition, we show hybrid governor outperforms in power consumption than conventional power management scheme of wearable devices based on Ondemand Governor through experiments.
Power management governor;Wearable device;Wearable OS;Low power
Supported by : 충남대학교
- Joseph Wei, "How Wearables Intersect with the Cloud and the Internet of Things: Considerations for the Developers of Wearables," IEEE Consumer Electronics Magazine, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 53-56, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCE.2014.2317895
- F. Gemperle, C. Kasabach, J. Stivoric, M. Bauer, R. Martin, "Design for Wearability," Proceedings of Second International Symposium on Wearable Computers, pp. 116-122, 1998.
- T. Starner, "The Challenges of Wearable Computing: Part 1," in IEEE Micro, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 44-52, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/40.946681
- S. K. Datta, C. Bonnet, N. Nikaein, "Android Power Management: Current and Future Trends," Proceedings of the First IEEE Workshop on Enabling Technologies for Smartphone and Internet of Things (ETSIoT), pp. 48-53, 2012.
- B.T. Oh, K.H. Park, B.G. Lee, S.Y. Noh, J.S. Ik, "Energy Awareness & Energy Saving Techniques for IT," Communications of the Korean Institute of Infromation Scientists and Engineers, Vol. 30, No. 7, pp.17-26, 2012 (in Korean).
- STM32L4 Reference Manual
- V. Pallipadi, A. Starikovskiy, "The Ondemand Governor," Proceedings of Linux Symposium, Vol. 2, No. 00216, pp. 215-230, 2006.
- J.H. On, B.S. An, B.G. Lee, S.M. Jang, S.I. Jun, "An Energy Efficiency comparison Analysis of CPU DVFS Governor in Virtualized Environments," Proceedings of Korea Information Science Society, pp. 1239-1241, 2016 (in Korean).
- "Tizne, Device Settings and Systems, Power States", Available: https://developer.tizen.org/development/guides/web-application/device-settings-and-systems/power-states.
- S.T. Kim, H.J. Park, H.J. Park, D.K. Woo, “Core Technology for Ultra Low Power Using Cold Restart in Wearable Devices,” Journal of the Institute of Electronics and Information Engineers, Vol. 54, No. 4, pp. 44-49, 2017 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5573/IEIE.2017.54.4.44
- "STM32L4 Datasheet", Available: http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/microcontrollers/stm32-32-bit-arm-cortex-mcus/stm32-ultra-low-power-mcus/stm32l4-series/stm32l4x6/stm32l476vg.html
- "STM32L4 Programming Manual", Available: http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/microcontrollers/stm32-32-bit-arm-cortex-mcus/stm32-ultra-low-power-mcus/stm32l4-series/stm32l4x6/stm32l476vg.html
- "STM32L4 Power Control", Available: http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/microcontrollers/stm32-32-bit-arm-cortex-mcus/stm32-ultra-low-power-mcus/stm32l4-series/stm32l4x6/stm32l476vg.html
- "FreeRTOS about FreeRTOS", Available: https://freertos.org/RTOS.html
- "FreeRTOS Low Power Support", Available: https://freertos.org/low-power-tickless-rtos.html
- K. Choi, "Dynamic Voltage and Frequency Scaling for Energy-efficient System Design," University of Southern California, 2005.