- Volume 27 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Measurement of Fuel Vapor Concentration by Excimer Fluorescence Method
Excimer 형광법을 이용한 연료증기 농도측정법에 대한 연구
- Hwang, Seung-min (Department of Environmental Engineering, Hoseo University)
- 황승민 (호서대학교 건축토목환경공학부 환경공학전공)
- Received : 2018.04.30
- Accepted : 2018.05.31
- Published : 2018.06.30
Laser induced-exciplex-fluorescence (EXCIPLEX) proposed by Melton is used to visualize fuel vapor in spray combustion. However, in the EXCIPLEX method based on TMPD/naphthalene system, the TMPD : naphthalene ratio is strictly restricted to 1 : 9. In addition, fluorescence intensity due to the vapor phase is extremely weak. To overcome these drawbacks, we propose a new laser-induced-excimer fluorescence (EXCIMER) method to visualize the liquid and vapor phases simultaneously. The spatial distributions of liquid and vapor in fuel spray suspended by ultrasonic waves are compared using the EXCIPLEX and EXCIMER methods. The correlation between fuel vapor concentration and fluorescence intensity is experimentally investigated by measuring the fluorescence intensity of saturated vapor formed over liquid fuel at a controlled temperature. These experimental results indicate that the EXCIMER method is effective for evaluating fuel vapor visualization in spray combustion. Furthermore, the quantitative distribution of fuel vapor concentration can be correctly estimated by the EXCIMER method.
- Melton, L. A., Verdieck J. F., 1984, Vapor/liquid visualization in fuel sprays, Twentieth symposium (International) on combustion, The combustion Institute, 1283-1290.
- Murov, S. L., Carmichael, I., Hug, G. L., 1993, Handbook of photochemistry, 2nd ed., Revised and Expanded, M. Dekker, New York, 53-62.
- Park, B. W., Choi, D. S., Char, K. J., Kim, D. J., 1997, Prediction of vaporized fuel distribution of direct-injection gasoline sprays, Proceedings of ILASS-Korea Annual Meeting '97, 104-110.
- Shimizu, R., Matumoto, S., Furuno, S., Murayama, M., Kojima, S., 1992, Measurement of air-fuel mixture distribution on a gasoline engine using LIEF technique, SAE Technical paper, No.922356.
- Melton, L. A., 1983, Spectrally separated fluorescence emissions for diesel fuel droplets and vapor, Applied Optics, 22(14), 2224-2226. https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.22.002224
- Melton, L. A., 1993, Exciplex-based vapor/liquid visualization systems sppropriate for automotive gasoline, Applied Spectroscopy, 47(6), 782-786. https://doi.org/10.1366/0003702934067081
- Choi, D. S., Park, H. H., Kim, D. J., 1999, Measurement of distribution and concentration of vapor/liquid phases in gasoline direct injection spray using exciplex fluorescence method, KSME B, 23(4), 531-539.
- Felton, P. G., Bracco, F. V., Bardsley, M. E. A., 1993, On the quantitative application of exciplex fluorescence to engine sprays, SAE Technical paper, No. 930870.
- Ghandhi, J. B., Felton, P. G., Gajdeczko, B. F., Bracco, F. V., 1994, Investigation of the fuel distribution in a two-stroke engine with an air-assisted injector, SAE Technical paper, No. 940394.
- Hwang, S. M., 2005, A Study on flame structure of multi-phase combustion by optical measurement, Ph. D. Dissertation, Osaka University, Osaka, Japan.
- Hwang, S. M., 2009, Evaluation of combustion mechanism of droplet cluster in premixed spray flame by simultaneous time-series measurement, J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng., 31(6), 442-448.
- Hwang, S. M., Kim, J. W., Chung, J. D., 2009, 2-Dimensional unsteady modeling of spray flame formed in laminar counterflow field, J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng., 31(10), 933-940.
- John, B. B., 1970, Photophysics of Aromatic Molecules, Wilky-Interscience, London, 34-42.
- Korea Energy Economics Institute, 2014, YEARBOOK OF ENERGY STATISTICS, 4-21.