- Volume 27 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Numerical Estimates of Seasonal Changes of Possible Radionuclide Dispersion at the Kori Nuclear Power Plants
고리 원자력 발전 단지 사고 발생에 따른 방사능 물질 확산 가능성의 계절적 특성 연구
- Kim, Ji-Seon (Department of Earth Science, Pusan National University) ;
- Lee, Soon-Hwan (Department of Earth Science, Pusan National University) ;
- Park, Kang-Won (Busan Science High School) ;
- Lee, Sung-Gwang (Busan Science High School) ;
- Choi, Se-Young (Busan Science High School) ;
- Cho, Kyu-Chan (Busan Science High School) ;
- Lee, Hyeuk-Woo (Busan Science High School)
- 김지선 (부산대학교 지구과학과) ;
- 이순환 (부산대학교 지구과학과) ;
- 박강원 (부산과학고등학교) ;
- 이성광 (부산과학고등학교) ;
- 최세용 (부산과학고등학교) ;
- 조규찬 (부산과학고등학교) ;
- 이혁우 (부산과학고등학교)
- Received : 2018.04.24
- Accepted : 2018.05.05
- Published : 2018.06.30
To establish initial response scenarios for nuclear accidents around the Kori nuclear power plants, the potential for radionuclide diffusion was estimated using numerical experiments and statistical techniques. This study used the numerical model WRF (Weather Research and Forecasting) and FLEXPART (Flexible Particle dispersion model) to calculate the three-dimensional wind field and radionuclide dispersion, respectively. The wind patterns observed at Gijang, near the plants, and at meteorological sites in Busan, were reproduced and applied to estimates of seasonally averaged wind fields. The distribution of emitted radionuclides are strongly associated with characteristics of topography and synoptic wind patterns over nuclear power plants. Since the terrain around the power plants is complex, estimates of radionuclide distribution often produce unexpected results when wind data from different sites are used in statistical calculations. It is highly probable that in the summer and autumn, radionuclides move south-west, towards the downtown metropolitan area. This study has clear limitations in that it uses the seasonal wind field rather than the daily wind field.
Supported by : 부산대학교
- Skamarock, W. C., Klemp, J. B., Dudhia, J., Gill, D. O., Barker, D. M., Duda, M. G., Huang, X. Y., Wang, W., Powers, J. G., 2008, A Description of the Advanced Research WRF Version 3. NCAR Tech Notes-475+STR.
- Srinivas, C. V., Venkatesan, R., Baskaran, R., Rajagopal, V., Venkatraman, B., 2012, Regional scale atmospheric dispersion simulation of accidental releases of radionuclides from Fukushima Dai-ichi reactor, Atmos. Environ., 61, 66-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2012.06.082
- Stohl, A., Seibert, P., Wotawa, G., Arnold, D., Burkhart, J. F., Eckhardt, S., Tapia, C., Vargas, A., Yasunari, T. J., 2012, Xenon-133 and caesium-137 releases into the atmosphere from the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant: Determination of the source term, atmospheric dispersion, and deposition, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 12, 2313-2343. https://doi.org/10.5194/acp-12-2313-2012
- An, H. Y., Kang, Y. H., Song, S. K., Bang, J. H., Kim, Y. K., 2015, Atmospheric dispersion of radioactive material according to the local wind patterns around the kori nuclear power plant using WRF/HYSPLIT Model, J. Environ. Sci. Int., 24, 81-96. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2015.24.1.81
- Girard, S., Mallet, V., Irene Korsakissok, I., Mathieu, A., 2016, Emulation and Sobol' sensitivity analysis of an atmospheric dispersion model applied to the Fukushima nuclear accident, J Geophys. Res., 121(7), 3484-3496. https://doi.org/10.1002/2016JA022455
- Hsu, S. C., Huh, C. A., Chan, C. Y., Lin, S. H., Lin, F. J., Liu, S. C., 2012, Hemispheric dispersion of radioactive plume laced with fission nuclides from the Fukushima nuclear event, Geophys. Res. Lett., 39, L00G22.
- Jeong, H., Park, M., Hwang, W., Kim, E., Han, M., 2013, Development and application of radiological risk assessment program RADCONS, J. Environ Imp. Assess., 22(1), pp.89-97. https://doi.org/10.14249/eia.2013.22.1.089
- Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute, 2007, Radiological dose assessments through the atmospheric environment. KAERI/RR-2769/2006, Ministry of Science and Technology.
- Korea Energy Agency, 2016, Energy statics handbook, 310p.
- Korea Institute of Nuclear Safety, 2012, 2011 Nuclear safety yearbook, 11-1410000-00273-10. Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy.
- Korsakissok, I., Mathieu, A., Didier, D., 2013, Atmospheric dispersion and ground deposition induced by the Fukushima nuclear power plant accident: A Local scale simulation and sensitivity study, Atmos Environ., 70, 267-279. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2013.01.002
- Saunier, O., Mathieu, A., Didier, D., Tombette, M., Quelo, D., Winiarek, V., Bocquet, M., 2013, An inverse modeling method to assess the source term of the Fukushima nuclear power plant accident using gamma dose rate observations, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 13, 11403-11421. https://doi.org/10.5194/acp-13-11403-2013