- Volume 27 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Distribution of Functional Feeding and Habitat Trait Groups of Benthic Macroinvertebrates and Biological Evaluation of Water Quality in Gayasan National Park
가야산의 저서성 대형무척추동물 섭식기능군 및 서식습성군 분포와 생물학적 수질평가
- Moon, Tae Young (Daesung Technology Engineering Company) ;
- An, Mi Soon (National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- Kim, Hyoung Gon (National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- Yoon, Chun Sik (Department of Biology & Chemistry, Changwon National University) ;
- Cheong, Seon Woo (Department of Biology & Chemistry, Changwon National University)
- Received : 2017.12.15
- Accepted : 2018.02.13
- Published : 2018.06.30
In the present study, the community distribution, functional feeding groups, and habitat groups of the benthic macroinvertebrates from Gayasan National Park were investigated at eight different sites from 2015 to 2016. The correlation between habitat altitude and each group type was analyzed statistically. Biodiversity indices, including dominance, diversity, richness, and evenness indices, were calculated. The results showed a total of 4,216 individual benthic macroinvertebrates were collected, including 4 phyla, 6 classes, 16 orders, 40 families, and 100 species. Gammarus sobaegensis was dominant with 0.141% dominance, and the subdominant species was Epeorus nipponicus with 0.088% dominance. The EPT group(Ephemeroptera, Plecoptera and Tricoptera) accounted for 71.00% of the total species and 67.69% of the total individuals. The number of scraper species was highest, and the number of gathering collector individuals was highest among functional feeding groups. The individual number of scrapers(r=-0.358, p < 0.05) and gathering collectors(r=-0.343, p < 0.05) decreased with increasing altitude. The numbers of species and individuals of clingers and sprawlers were highest among the habitat groups. The individual number of clingers(r=-0.547, p < 0.01) and burrowers(r=-0.331, p < 0.05) significantly decreased with increasing altitude. The diversity and richness indices were higher in St. 3 than in the other sites. The dominance index was highest in St. 2, and the evenness index was highest in St. 7. We evaluated the biological water quality with several known methods, and concluded that ESB(Ecological score of benthic macrovertebrates community) and GPI(Group polution index) were more suitable than KSI(Korean saprobic index) and BMI (Benthic macrovertebrate index) to assess the biological water quality of Gayasan mountain stream water.
- Bang, G. J., Kim, H. G., Yoon, C. S., Cheong, S. W., 2016. Distribution chracteristics of functional feeding groups of benthic macroinvertebrates and biological evaluation of water quality in Jirisan National Park, J. Environ. Sci., 25(5), 655-671.
- Cummins, K. W., 1973, Trophic relations of aquatic insects, Ann. Rev. Entomol., 18, 183-206. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.en.18.010173.001151
- Cummins, K. W., 1974, Structure and function of stream ecosystem, Bioscience, 24(11), 631-641. https://doi.org/10.2307/1296676
- Cummins, K. W., Klug, M. J., 1979, Feeding ecology of stream invertebrates, Ann. Rev. Syst., 10, 147-172. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.es.10.110179.001051
- DIN 38410, 1990, Part 2, Biological-ecological analysis of water(group M), determination of the saprobic index(M2), German standard methods for the examination of water, Wastew. Sl., 1-10.
- Jung, K. S., 2011, Odonata Larvae of Korea, 1st ed., Ilkongyuk-Sa, Seoul, Korea, 14-399.
- Kawai, T., Tanida, K., 2005, Aquatic insects of Japan: Manual with keys and illustrations, 1st ed., Tokai University Press, Kanagawa, Japan, 27-1275.
- Kim, H. G., 2012, An analysis of the community structure of benthic macroinvertebrate community and an evaluation of water environment in the main stream of Gayasan National Park, M. Sc. Dessertation, Changwon National University, Changwon, Korea.
- Kong, D. S., 1997, Benthic macroinvertebrates in Hongseong and Yesan County, Ministry of Environment, Natural Environment in Yesan, Seosan and Hongseong, 155-204.
- Kwon, O. G., 1990, Illustrated encyclopedia of fauna & flora of Korea, Min. Edu. Korea, 2-446.
- Lee, C. E, 1971, Illustrated encyclopedia of fauna & flora of Korea, Min. Edu. Korea, 386-448.
- Margalef, R., 1957, La teoria de la informacion en ecologia, Mem. Real Acad. Cienc. Artes Barcelona, 373-449.
- McNaughton, S. J., 1967, Relationship among functional properties of California gassland, Nature, 216, 1268-144. https://doi.org/10.1038/2161268a0
- Park, H. C., 2010, A Community structure of benthic macroinvertebrates in Gayasan National Park, M. Sc. Dessertation, Changwon National University, Changwon, Korea.
- Pielou, E. C., 1975, Species-diversity and pattern diversity in the study of ecological succession, J. Theor. Biol., 10, 370-383.
- Ra, C. H., Cho, Y. K., Kim, J. S., 1991, The seasonal and altitudinal distribution of the stonefly nymphs (Plecoptera) in Paemsagol valley of Mt. Chiri, Korea, Korean J. Limnol., 24(2), 69-76.
- Resh, V. H., Rosenberg, D. M., 1984, The ecology of aquatic insects, 1st Ed., Praeger Publishers, New York, 508-557.
- Resh, V. H., Rosenberg, D. M., 1993 Introduction to freshwater biomonitoring and rentic macroinvertebrates, 1st ed., Chapman Hall, Inc., New York, 1-488.
- Ro, T. H., Chun, D. J., 2004, Functional feeding group categorization of Korean immature aquatic insects and community stability analysis, Korean J. Limnol., 37(2), 137-148.
- Shannon, C. E. 1948, A Mathematical theory of communication, Bell Sys. Tech. J., 27(3), 379-423. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1538-7305.1948.tb01338.x
- Shin, H. S., Park, S. C., Kim, J. K., Kim, S. J., Park, J. H., Choi, J. S., Choi, J. K., 2006, Community analysis based on functional feeding groups of aquatic insects in Wonju Stream, Kor. J. Env. Eco., 20(2), 259-266.
- Song, K. R., 1995, Systematics of the Hirudinea(Annelida) in Korea, Korea University, 1-57.
- The Korean Entomological Society of Korea, 1994, Check list of insects from Korea, Konkuk University Press, 5-744.
- The Korean Society of Systematic Zoology, 1997, List of animals in Korea (excluding insects), Academy Press, Ltd., 2-489.
- Ward, J. V., 1991, Aquatic Insect Ecology, Part. 1, Biology and habitat, 1st Ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1-456.
- Won, D. H., Jun, Y. C., Kwon, S. J., Hwang, S. J., Ahn, K. G., Lee, J. K., 2006, Development of Korean saprobic index using benthic macroinvertebrates and its application to biological stream environment assessment, J. Korean Soc. Water Qual., 22(5), 768-781.
- Yoon, I. B., 1988, Illustrated encyclopedia of fauna & flora of Korea(Aquatic Insects), Min. Edu. Korea, Vol. 30, 7-840.
- Yoon, I. B., 1995, Aquatic insects of Korea, Junghaengsa, Korea, 5-262.
- Yoon, I. B., Kong, D. S., Ryu, J, K., 1992, Studies on the biological evaluation of water quality by benthic macroinvertebrates (3) Macroscopic simple water quality evaluation, Korean Soc. Environ. Biol., 10(2), 77-84.
- Yoon, I. B., Song, M. Y., 1989, A Revision of the taxonomy of Korean black-flies (Simuliidae : Diptera) I, The larval and pupal stages of subgenus Simulium, Entomol. Res. Bul., 15, 35-64.