- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Experience and Identity Negotiation of Women Soldiers in the Participation Process of the CISM Military World Games : A Critical Feminism Approach
세계군인체육대회 참가과정에서 여성군인의 경험과 정체성 교섭 : 비판적 페미니즘적 접근
- Kim, Yong Kyu (Dept. of Physical Education, Daegu University) ;
- Kang, Yeong Gu (Dept. of Physical Education, Daegu University) ;
- Chang, Ik Young (Dept. of Community Sport, Korea National Sport University)
- Received : 2018.04.13
- Accepted : 2018.06.20
- Published : 2018.06.28
This study aims to understand the experience and identity negotiation of women soldiers in the process of participating in the CISM military world games. To do this, we selected three women soldiers who participated in the CISM military world games and conducted in-depth interviews. The data analyzed through the content analysis revealed the following results. The first are experiences from the athletic participation before entering the military. The Second is about the enlistment in the Army. The Third is about the Army life. The Fourth World Soldier Athletic competition participated in the instrument and process. The fifth is about after the Games.
Military World Games;Women Soldiers;Experience;Identity Negotiation;Narrative
Supported by : Dongil Culture and Scholarship Foundation
- Scott, Joan. (1989). De constructing Equality-Versus- Difference: Or, the Vses of Post structuralist Theory for Feminism. Feminist Studies, 14, 35-50.
- Ministry of Government Legislation. (2014). Gender Equality Basic Law. MOLEG(Online). http://www.moleg.go.kr
- C. G. Hong. (2014). The Phenomenological Analysis of Gender Equality Perception of Women Junior Officers in the Army. The Quarterly Journal of Defence Policy Studies, 30(3), 199-226.
- Defense Media Agency. (2005). Strong Soldier Age: Go Ahead with Female Soldiers. DMA(Online). http://www.dema.mil.kr
- Newsmagazine 2580. (2010). Tarantula Warrior. MBC(Online). http://www.imbc.com
- E. Kim. (2012). Emergence of Women Soldiers and Gender Disturbance: A Case Study of Women Officers' Strategies to Become Soldiers. Doctoral dissertation. Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- E. B. Sin, S. G. Cho, C. G. Kim & J. M. Rue. (2004). Research on Gender Equality Consciousness of the Military Personnel. Journal of military nursing research, 22, 1-29.
- W. H. Kim. (2003). Research on the Institutional.Psychological.Normative Gender Equality Levels Experienced by the Military. Seoul : KWDI.
- T. S. Kim. (2008). The Impacts of Woman Soldiers' Increasement on the Organizational Effectiveness in the ROK Navy. Doctoral dissertation. Kyungnam University, Gyeongnam.
- J. M. Son. (2012). The Effects of Amy Women Soldiers' Recognition about Women-friendly Policies on Job Satisfaction: Moderating Effect of Service Forms. Master dissertation. Seoul University, Seoul.
- Ministry of National Defense. (2014). Defense White Paper 2014. Seoul : MND.
- Y. S. Won & H. J. Chung. (1999). Feminism and Women's Sport. Journal of Korean Physical Education Association for Girls and Women, 13(2), 223-237.
- Y. S. Kim. (2002). The Practice of Social Research SPSS WIN Statistic Analysis. (3rd ed.). Seoul: NNP.
- J. J. Ro. (1996). A Study on the Development of Leisure Attitude through Indepth-Interview. Journal of Korean Physical Education, 35(4), 4465-4479.
- M. Q. Patton. (2002). Qualitative research and evaluation methods. (3rd ed.) Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Savin-Baden, M & Niekerk, L. (2007). Narrative inquiry: Theory and practice. Journal of Geography in Higher Education, 31(3), 459-472. https://doi.org/10.1080/03098260601071324
- G. U. Yu, J. W. Jeong, Y. S. Kim & H. B. Kim. (2012). Qualitative Research Methods. Seoul: PY.
- D. Ezzy. (2002). Qualitative analysis: Practice and innovation. London: Routledge.
- D Clandinin & F. Connelly. (2007). Narrative Inquiry. K. H. So & H. S. Kang(Eds.). Paju: KYB. (The original publication of the year 2004).
- N. K. Denzin & Y. S. Lincoln. (2011). The sage handbook of qualitative research. (4th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- E. Y. Noh & I. S. Yeo. (1998). The study of Women'S Recognition of Sport according to the Gender Role Attitude. Journal of Korean Physical Education, 37(3), 21-31.
- V. Krane, P. Y. Choi, L. Baird, S. M. Aimar, C. M & K. J. Kauer. (2004). Living the paradox: Female athletes negotiate femininity and mascularity. Sex Roles, 50(5/6), 315-329. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:SERS.0000018888.48437.4f
- K. Young. (1997). Women, sport and physicality. Journal of International Review for the Sociology of Sport, 32, 297-305. https://doi.org/10.1177/1012690297032003006
- J. K. Park. (1999). Relationships between Sex Role Identities and Social Acceptance of Women in Sport. Journal of Korean Social Sport, 11, 95-108.
- Dunivin, Karen O. (1994). Military Culture: Change and Continuity. Journal of Armed Forces & Society, 20, 531-547. https://doi.org/10.1177/0095327X9402000403
- M. F. Katzenstein & J. Reppy. (1999). Beyond Zero Tolerance: Discrimination in Military Culture. Maryland: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
- Y. J. Lee. (2005). The Military Experience and the Formation of the Male Subject in Korea. Journal of Human and Social, 29(3), 81-108.
- Elshtain, J. B. (1987). Women and War. NY: Basic Books.
- T. H. Park. (2003). Women's Organizational Behavior in the Bias of Men in Public Culture. Journal of Korean Administrative Society & Autumn Conference, 10, 1-20.
- S. O. Jo, T. H. Lee, U. Y. Jo & U. J. Jeong. (2010). Military Ethics. Seoul: JM.
- J. B. Allen & S. Shaw. (2009). Women coaches' perceptions of their sport organizations' social environment: Supporting coaches' psychological needs? Sport Psychologist, 23(3), 346-366. https://doi.org/10.1123/tsp.23.3.346
- J. H. Yu. (2015). SPORT IT Life Sports: CISM Military World Games, We are game played many things, nicely. Journal of Korea Institute of Sport Science, 133, 57-65.