- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Identification of Latent Classes of Adolescent's Health Condition and Verification the effects of Social Capital : Comparison of Intact Families and Single Parent families
청소년 건강에 대한 잠재계층 분류 및 사회자본의 영향 검증 : 양부모가정과 한부모가정의 비교를 통하여
- Chun, JeeWon (Department of Family & Resource Management, SookMyung Women's University) ;
- Kim, Kyoung-A (Division of General Education, SookMyung Women's University)
- Received : 2018.03.31
- Accepted : 2018.06.20
- Published : 2018.06.28
This study used latent class analysis to identify heterogeneous subgroups with respect to health condition among adolescents. We also examined associations between latent classes and verified to determine how the patterns of health condition relate to social capital. This study used data from Korean Survey on the Rights of Children and Youth in 2015, which consists of 6,912 from middle and high school students. The findings are as follows. Latent class analysis revealed a three-class solution. Results indicated that family social capital and school capital significantly verified to the above latent classes all family type. But, community social capital not significantly predicted to the above latent classes only single parent families. Policy implications for improving the health condition of adolescents are discussed.
Adolescents' Health;Single Parent Families;Latent Class Analysis;Family Social Capital;School Social Capital;Community Social Capital
- D. E. Bloom & D. Canning. (2000). The Health and Wealth of Nations. Science, 287(5456), 1207-1209. DOI : 10.1126/science.287.5456.1207 https://doi.org/10.1126/science.287.5456.1207
- J. M. Muurinen. (1982). Demand for Health: A Generalized Grossman Model. Journal of Health Economics, 1(1), 5-28. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6296(82)90019-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6296(82)90019-4
- Statistics Korea Press Releases. (2017. April 18). 2017 Statistics on the Youth. http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/3/index.board?b ode=read&aSeq=360040
- U. Bronfenbrenner & P. A. Morris. (2006). The Bioecological Model of Human Development. In W. Damon & R. M. Lerner (Eds.), Handbook of Child Psychology: Theoretical Models of Human Development (6th ed., 793-828). New York : Wiley.
- R. M. Viner, E. M. Ozer, S. Denny, M. Marmot, M. Resnick, A. Fatusi & C. Currie. (2012). Adolescence and the Social Determinants of Health. Lancet, 379(9826), 1641-1652. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(12)60149-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(12)60149-4
- Lin, N. (2001). Social Capital: A Theory for Social Structure and Action. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- Y. R. Hong, T. J. Kim, Y. H. Cho, H. B. Park & J. H. Yang. (2006). Educational Strategies to Form Social Capital for National Development. Seoul : Korean Educational Development Institute.
- C. Aslund & K. W. Nilsson. (2013). Social Capital in Relation to Alcohol Consumption, Smoking, and Illicit Drug Use among Adolescents: A Cross-Sectional Study in Sweden. International Journal for Equity in Health, 12, 33. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1186/1475-9276-12-33 https://doi.org/10.1186/1475-9276-12-33
- J. S. Coleman. (1988). Social Capital in the Creation of Human Capital. The American Journal of Sociology, 94, Supplement: Organizations and Institutions: Sociological and Economic Approaches to the Analysis of Social Structure, S95-S120. https://doi.org/10.1086/228943
- W. Poortinga. (2006). Social Relations or Social Capital? Individual and Community Health Effects of Bonding Social Capital. Social Science & Medicine, 63(1), 255-270. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2005.11.039 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2005.11.039
- D. Kim, S. V. Subramanian & I. Kawachi. (2008). Social Capital and Physical Health. In Social Capital and Health(139-190). New York: Springer.
- L. Rocco, E. Fumagalli & M. Suhrcke. (2014). From Social Capital to Health-and Back. Health Economics, 23(5), 586-605. DOI : 10.1002/hec.2934 https://doi.org/10.1002/hec.2934
- M. Westin & R. Westering. (2007). Social Capital and Inequality in Health between Single and Couple Parents in Sweden. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health, 35(6), 609-617. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1080/14034940701362806 https://doi.org/10.1080/14034940701362806
- P. R. Amato & B. Keith. (1991). Parental Divorce and the Well-Being of Children: A Meta-Analysis. Psychological Bulletin, 110(1), 26-46. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.110.1.26
- S. R. Sok & S. H. Shin. (2010). Comparison of the Factors Influencing Children's Self-esteem between Two Parent Families and Single Parent Families. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 40(3), 367-377. DOI : https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.3.367 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.3.367
- R. Garg, S. Melanson & E. Levin. (2007). Educational Aspirations of Male and Female Adolescents from Single-Parent and Two Biological Parent Families : A Comparison of Influential Factors. Journal of Youth Adolescence. 36(8), 1010-1023. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1007/s10964-006-9137-3 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10964-006-9137-3
- Y. W. Kim. (2010). Long-Term Effects of Change in Family Structure On Achievement During Transition to Adulthood : Focusing on the Effect of Parental Divorce/Death on Health Condition, Depression and Educational Attainment. Korean Journal of Social Welfare Studies, 41(4), 225-246. https://doi.org/10.16999/kasws.2010.41.4.225
- Y. O. Nam. (2010). A Comparative Study on the School Adjustment of Adolescents from Divorced and Intact Families. Studies on Korean Youth, 21(3), 219-243.
- Y. Yoem, S. Choo., & S. Lim. (2007). Self-efficacy and the Moderating Effects of Pessimism in the Relationship between Family Structure and High School Students' Academic Achievements. Journal of Youth Counseling, 15(2), 67-79.
- S. H. Oh. (2001). A Comparative Study on Family System and Psycho-social Characteristics among Male-headed, Female-headed, and Normal Families. Journal of the Korean Society of Child Welfare, 12, 1226-2609.
- S. Y. Lee. (2002). Study of Adjustment of Adolescents from Divorced Families. Korean Journal of Family Social Work, 10, 37-65.
- K. M. Cho & H. J. Joo. (2003). A Comparative Study on the Mental Health, Behaviors between the Divorced Family Adolescents and Parents Family Adolescents. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 12(4), 543-551.
- J. J. Mann,, J. Bortinger, M. A. Oquendo, D. Currier, L. Shuhua & D. A. Brent. (2005). Family History of Suicidal Behavior and Mood Disorders in Probands With Mood Disorders. The American Journal of Psychiatry, 1629(9), 1672-1679. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.162.9.1672 https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.162.9.1672
- S. A. Wolchik, J. Y. Tein, I. N. Sandler & K. W. Doyle. (2002). Fear Abandonment as Mediator of the Relation between Divorce Stressors and Mother-Child Relationship Quality and Children's Adjustment Problems. Journal of abnormal child psychology, 30(4), 401-419. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1015722109114 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1015722109114
- F. Steele, W. Sigle-Rushton & O. Kravdal. (2009). Consequences of Family Disruption on Children's Educational Outcomes in Norway. Demography, 46(3), 553-574. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1353/dem.0.0063 https://doi.org/10.1353/dem.0.0063
- H. Hansagi, L. Brandt & S. Andreasson. (2000). Parental Divorce: Psychosocial Well-Being, Mental Health, and Mortality During Youth and Young Adulthood. A Longitudinal Study of Swedish Conscripts. The European Journal of Public Health, 10, 86-92. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/10.2.86 https://doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/10.2.86
- T. Huurre, H. Junkkari & H. Aro. (2006). Long-Term Psychosocial Effects of Parental Divorce: A Follow-Up Study from Adolescence to Adulthood. European Archives of Psychiatry and Clinical Neuroscience, 256(4), 256-263. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1007/s00406-006-0641-y https://doi.org/10.1007/s00406-006-0641-y
- S. O. Kim, J. R. Jun & Y. S. Kim. (2012). A Review of the Research Trends and Findings on the Single Parent's Children - Focusing on the Family Related Professional Journals -. Journal of Family Relations, 17(1), 113-128.
- P. R. Amato & J. M. Sobolewski. (2001). The Effects of Divorce and Marital Discord on Adult Children's Psychological Well-Being. American Sociological Review, 66(6), 900-921. DOI : 10.2307/3088878 https://doi.org/10.2307/3088878
- L. T. Ross & S. Wynne. (2010). Parental Depression and Divorce and Adult Children's Well-Being: The Role of Family Unpredictability. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 19(6), 757-761. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1007/s10826-010-9366-7 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10826-010-9366-7
- A. M. Hines. (1997). Divorce-Related Transitions, Adolescent Development, and the Role of the Parent-Child Relationship: A Review of the Literature. Journal of Marriage & the Family, 59(2), 375-388. DOI : 10.2307/353477 https://doi.org/10.2307/353477
- W. M. Troxe & K. A. Matthews. (2004). What are the Costs of Marital Conflict and Dissolution to Children's Physical Health?. Clinical Children and Family Psychology Review, 7(1), 29-57. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1023/B:CCFP.0000020191.73542.b0 https://doi.org/10.1023/B:CCFP.0000020191.73542.b0
- C. Roustit, E. Campoy, E. Renahy, G. King, I. Parizot & P. Chauvin. (2011). Family Social Environment in Childhood and Self-Related Health in Young Adulthood. BMC Public Health, 11, 949. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-11-949 https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-11-949
- F. Thuen, K. Breivik, B. Wold & G. G. Ulveseter. (2015). Growing Up with One or Both Parents: The Effects on Physical Health and Health-Related Behavior Through Adolescence and into Early Adulthood. Journal of Divorce & Remarriage, 56(6), 451-474. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-11-949 https://doi.org/10.1080/10502556.2015.1058659
- H. Kim & S. Lee. (2010). A Study on the Mediating Effect of Family Resilience in the Relationship Between Adolescent's Stress and School Adjustment: Comparison of Single Parent Family and Two-parent Family. Journal of Adolescent Welfare, 13(3), 215-241.
- N. H. Park & H. J. Lee. (2002). A Critical Review of Health Behavior Studies of Adolescents Conducted in Korea. The Journal of Korean Community Nursing, 13(1), 98-114.
- G. W. Ban. (2015). A Study on the Ecological Factors of Influencing on Adolescent's Activity Competency. Doctoral dissertation. Myongji University, Seoul.
- S. G. Lee, J. P. Yoo & G. H. Chung. (2015). Identification and Prediction of Latent Classes of Health Promoting Behaviors among Children. Health and Social Welfare Review, 35(2), 477-510. DOI : http://dx.doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2015.35.2.477 https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2015.35.2.477
- L. M. Collins & S. T. Lanza. (2010). Latent Class and Latent Transition Analysis: With Applications in the Social, Behavioral, and Health Sciences. New York : Wiley.
- K. L. Nylund, T. Asparouhov & B. O. Muthen. (2007). Deciding on the Number of Classes in Latent Classes Analysis and Growth Mixture Modeling: A Monte Carlo Simulation Study. Structural Equation Modeling, 14(4), 535-569. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1080/10705510701575396 https://doi.org/10.1080/10705510701575396
- Seoul Metropolitan Government Press Releases. (2018. January 11). Youth Health Forum to be hosted. http://spp.seoul.go.kr/main/news/news_report,jsp#view/244070
- Y. J, Jang. (2016). A Comparative Study of Social Capital between Single-father and Single-mother Children. Family & Culture, 28(2), 111-151. https://doi.org/10.21478/family.28.2.201606.004