- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Relationship between Big Five Personality Factors and Burnout in Non-commissioned Officers
부사관의 성격 5요인과 소진과의 관련성
- Lee, Jayoung (Counseling Psychology Department of Hanyangcyber University)
- 이자영 (한양사이버대학교 상담심리학과)
- Received : 2018.03.30
- Accepted : 2018.06.20
- Published : 2018.06.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate the relationship between big five factors and burnout in non-commissioned officers. To investigate this, 182 non-commissioned officers were surveyed and the data were analyzed. At first, the degree of burnout of the non-commissioned officer was examined. It was found that exhaustion was the highest and diminished personal accomplishment was the lowest among the three sub-factors of burnout. In the 20s and 30s, burnout(total) and cynicism were more severe than in the 40s and above. Then, the multiple regression analysis and the multivariate multiple regression analysis were conducted. As a result, extroversion and agreeableness were related to burnout(total) and extroversion was related to the three dimensions of burnout, The results are likely to help establish policies to prevent non-commissioned officers' burnout. Finally, the limitations of this study were discussed.
Burnout;Big five personality;Non-commissioned officers;Extroversion;Agreeableness
- S. Kim. (2014). The effect of working environment and promotion of army non-commissioned officers on the self-efficacy: focused on the multi-group analysis by among ranks. Korean Journal of Political Science, 22(4), 353-376.
- D. Kim. (2016). A study on the professionalism and capacity building of NCO : Focusing on a leadership role for organizational development. Master's thesis, Chosun University.
- H. Choi & J, Lee. (2012). Qualitative research of burnout experience among non-commissioned soldiers. Korea Journal of Counseling, 13(6), 2777-2280. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.13.6.201212.2777
- J. Lee. (2015). Effects of non-commissioned officers' role stress on burnout, depression, and turnover intention. Journal of Korea Contents Association, 15(4), 303-315. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.04.303
- H. J. Freudenberger. (2011). Staff burn-out. Journal of Social Issue, 3(1), 159-165,
- C. Maslach, W. B. Schaufeli & M. P. Leiter. (2011). Job burnout. Annual Reviews of Psychology, 52, 397-422.
- C. Maslach. (2003). Job Burnout: New Directions in Research and Intervention. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 12(5), 189-192. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8721.01258
- C. Maslach., W. B. Schaufeli & M P. Leiter. (2001). Job burnout. The Annual Review of Psychology, 52, 397-422. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.52.1.397
- V. Brenninkmeijer & N. VanYperen. (2003). How to conduct research on burnout: advantages and disadvantages of unidimensional approach in burnout research. Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 60, 16-20. https://doi.org/10.1136/oem.60.1.16
- A. Pines & E. Aronson. (2016). Career Burnout Causes and Cures. New York Free Press.
- B. J. Ahn. (2016). Determinants of Job Insecurity in Navy. Paper presented at 2016 Korean Academy of Management conference. 1-23.
- D. B. Durand. (1997). An assessment of burnout among army volunteers and its implications for soldiers and family readiness and quality of life. Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Washington, DC.
- S. J. Kwan. (2011). A study on military junior staff' self efficacy and job exhaustion: focused on army sergeants. Journal of governance studies, 6(2), 191-233.
- S. Y. Bae & S. H. Kim. (2007). Analysis of Convergent Influence of Organizational Commitment Questionnaire, Type A Behavior Pattern and Depression on Job Burnout among Hospital Administrative Staff. Journal of Digital Convergence, 16(3), 345-351. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2018.16.3.345
- Y. S. Lee, M. S. Park & M. K. Jeong. (2007). A study on the effect of job burnout - based on the professions working in financial companies. Korea Management Adminstration Research, 20(6), 2879-2900.
- S. J. Lim & H. S. Kim. (2011). Effects of self-efficacy, perceived-fit, and intrinsic motivation on burnout of sexual counsel office staff. Korea Psychology Research: Women, 16(4), 461-475. https://doi.org/10.18205/kpa.2011.16.4.003
- B. J. Ahn & M. S. Cha. (2016). The effect of burnout and intention to leave on organizational citizenship behavior: moderating effect of work-family conflict. Industry Economy Research, 29(1), 411-433.
- I. G. Park, S. M. Lee, B. Y. Choi, Y. Jin & J. Lee. (2010). Relationship between the big five personality factors and academic burnout. Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, 24(1), 81-93.
- M. C. Eastburg, J. W. Williamson, R. Gorsuchm & C. Ridley. (1994). Social support, personality and burnout in nurses. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 24, 1233-1250. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.1994.tb00556.x
- G. Alarcon, K. J. Eschleman & N. A. Bowling. (2009). Relationships between personality variables and burnout: A meta-analysis, Work & Stress, 23(3), 244-263. https://doi.org/10.1080/02678370903282600
- P. T. Costa & R. R. McCrae. (1992). Revised NEO Personality Inventory and NEO Five-Factor Inventory: Professional Manual. Odessa, Florida: PAR, Inc.
- L. R. Goldberg. (1992). The development of markers for the Big-Five factor structure. Psychological Assessment, 4, 26-42. https://doi.org/10.1037/1040-35188.8.131.52
- A. B. Bakker, K. I. Van Der Zee, K. A. Lewig & M. F. Dollard. (2006). The relationship between the big five personality factors and burnout: A study among volunteer counselors. The Journal of Social Psychology, 146(1), 31-50. https://doi.org/10.3200/SOCP.146.1.31-50
- M. C. Eastburg, J. W. Williamson, R. Gorsuch & C. Ridley. (1994). Social support, personality and burnout in nurses. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 24, 1233-1250. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.1994.tb00556.x
- R. L. Piedmont. (1993). A longitudinal analysis of burnout in the health care setting: The role of personal dispositions. Journal of Personality Assessment, 61, 457-473.
- K. L. Zellars, P. L. Perrewe & W. A. Hochwarter. (2000). Burnout in health care: The role of the five factors of personality. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 30(8), 1570-1598. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2000.tb02456.x
- W. O. Kim. (2011). Relationship between personality types and job satisfaction among primary leaders of air defense artillery in air force. Master' thesis, Mokwon University.
- W. K. Kim & J. K. Nam. (2015). A study on the influence of command on organizational commitment: focusing on mission-type command in military organizations. Korean Association of Governmental Studies, 27(1), 167-190.
- G. Saucier. (1994). Separating description and evaluation in the structure of personality attributes. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 66, 141-154. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.206
- I. K. Park. (2009). Relationship Between the Big Five Personality Factors and Academic Burnout, Master' thesis, Korea University.
- W. B. Schaufeli, I. M. Martez, A. Marques Pinto, M. Salanova & A. B. Bakker. (2002). Burnout and engagement in university students: A cross-national study. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 33, 464-481. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022022102033005003
- K. H. Shin. (2003). The Maslach Bunout Inventory-General Survey (MBI-GS): An Application In South Korea. Journal of Korea Psychology: Organizaion and Industry, 16(3), 1-17.
- J. Y. Shin. (1990). A Study on Job Satisfaction of Kindergarten Teachers: focus on the seoul city. Master'thesis, Chungang University.
- J. C. Lee & H. L. Roh. (2016). J. H. You,(1997). Influence of Burnout on Job Commitment in Dental Hygienists: in the Gyeongsang-do region. Journal of Digital Convergence, 14(9), 31-42. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.9.31
- B. Lau, E. Hem, A. M. Berg, O. Ekeberg & S. Torgersen. (2006). Personality types, coping, and stress in the Norwegian police service. Personality and Individual Differences, 41(5), 971-982. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2006.04.006
- I. J. Deary, R. Watson & R. Hogston. (2003). A longitudinal cohort study of burnout and attrition in nursing students. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 43(1), 71-81. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2003.02674.x
- H. K. Lee & Y. J. Chung. (2017). Converged influencing factors on the satges of exercise behavior change of nurses in shift work using transtheoretical model. Journal of Convergence for Information Technology, 7(6), 35-43. https://doi.org/10.14801/jaitc.2017.7.2.35
- M. Kim & J. Lee. (2017). Structural Relationship Between Social Support, Job Stress, and Child Care Teachers' Burnout. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 8(10), 281-294. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.10.281
- M. Park. (2017). Relationship among Hardiness, Social Support and Burnout of Nurses Working in Emergency Department. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 8(10), 397-405. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.10.397