- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Health Related Quality of Life of The Elderly in a Small and Medium-Sized City in Rural Area
일 지역 노인의 건강관련 삶의 질
- Lee, Hye Kyung (Dept. of Nursing, College of Nursing and Health, Kongju National University) ;
- Lee, Grace Changkeum (Dept. of Nursing, International University of Korea) ;
- Kim, Kyoung Su (Dept. of Nursing, Graduate School, Kyung Hee University)
- Received : 2018.04.10
- Accepted : 2018.06.20
- Published : 2018.06.28
The purpose of this study is to examine the health related quality of life of the elderly of more than 65 years old in a small and medium-sized city in rural area in order to prepare the measure to promote the quality of life of the elderly in rural areas. The data were collected from Sep. 21 to Oct 30, 2015 and analyzed using spss/win 23.0. The factors influencing on health related quality of life of the sample are as follows: 1. social participation; 2. gender; 3. subjective state of health; 4. family support; 5. level of one's own medical expense. The sample's ability of explanation of those factors were 26.3%. Therefore, it is necessary to develop inclusive and persistent programs of health promotion that consider social participation, gender, subjective state of health, family support, and level of one's own medical expense for the elderly of more than 65 years old in a small and medium-sized city in rural area.
- Statistics Korea. (2017). Elderly Statistics 2017. Retrieved March 30. 2018, from http://kostat.go.kr
- Minstry of Health Welfare. (2017). Expected life expectancy and lifetime Exclusion period (life expectancy) Retrieved December 26. 2017.
- Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs. (2014). 2014 Survey of the elderly.
- Y. H. Choi, G. R. Shin, O. S. Kim, S. H. Ko, E. S. Kong, G. H. Kim et al. (2014). Elderly and Health. Hyunmunsa; Seoul.
- H. R. Kim. (2014). Predicting Factors for Health related Quality of Life among Older Adults at Senior Centers in Korea. J Korean Gerontol Nurs, 16(2), 95-106. https://doi.org/10.17079/jkgn.2014.16.2.95
- J. Y. BAE. (2014). The Study on the Relationship between the Burden of Medical Expenditures and Health-related Quality of Life among the Elderly with Chronic Diseases. Journal of Institute for Social Sciences, 25(4), 109-129. DOI : 10.16881/jss.2014.10.25.4.109 https://doi.org/10.16881/jss.2014.10.25.4.109
- D. H. Kim. (2007). A Study on the Effects of Social Support upon Depression and Sucide ideation. Chung-Ang University.
- C. E. Ferrans & M. J. Powes. (1992). Psychometric assessment of the quality of life index. Research in Nursing & Health, 14, 179-186.
- M. M.. Zack, D. G. Moriaty, D. F. Stroup, E. S. Ford & A. H. Mokdad. (2004). Worsening trend in adult health-related quality of life and self rated health- United States, 1993-2001. Public Health Resech, 119(5), 493-505.
- S. O. Yang, H. R. Cho & S. H. Lee. (2014). A Comparative Study on Influencing Factors of Health Related Quality of Life of the Elderly in Senior Center by Region: Focus on Urban and Rural Areas. Journal of Digital Convergence, 12(1), 501-510. DOI : 10.14400/JDPM.2014.12.1.501 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2014.12.1.501
- J. C. Lee, J. A. Park, N. K. Bae & Y. C. Cho. (2008). Factors Related to Depressive Symptoms Among the Elderly in Urban and Rural Areas. J Agri Med & Community Health. 33(2), 204-220. DOI: 10.5393/JAMCH.2008.33.2.204 https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2008.33.2.204
- Y. J. Na & Y. H. Choi. (2014). Health-related Quality of Life and Its Related Factors in Urban Elderly Women. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 15(12), 7224-7230. DOI: 10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.12.7224 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.12.7224
- J. I. Kim. (2017). The Factors Affecting Health- related Quality of Life in Urban Working Elderly. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(11), 385-394. DOI :10.14400/JDC.2017.15.11.385 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.11.385
- K. W. Choi & G. S. Jeon. (2016). Effects of Frailty on Health-related Quality of Life of Rural Community- dwelling Elderly: Mediating and Moderating Effects of Fall-Related Efficacy and Social Support. Journal of Korean Acad Community Health Nurs, 27(4), 380-387. DOI: 10.12799/jkachn.2016.27.4.380 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2016.27.4.380
- K. S. Park, Y. R. Park & Y. S. Yum. (2015). The Effects of Social Participation on Health Related Quality of Life among Rural Elderly. Mental Health and Social Work, 43(2), 200-227.
- H. S. Kim. (2017). Effect of Pain, Nutritional Risk, Loneliness, Perceived Health Status on Health-related Quality of Life in Elderly Women Living Alone. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 8(7), 207-218. DOI:10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.7.207 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.7.207
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Korea. 2010. South Korean time trade-off values for EQ-5D health states http://www.cdc.go.kr
- Y. K. Lee, H. S. Nam, L. H. Chuang, K. Y. Kim, H. K. Yang, I. S. Kwon et al. (2009). South Korean time trade-off values for EQ-5D health states:Modeling with observed values for 101 health states. Value In Health. 12(8), 1187-1193. DOI: 10.1111/j.1524-4733.2009.00579.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1524-4733.2009.00579.x
- M. J. Kim & S. H. Bae. (2014). Factors influencing Health-related Quality of Life in Older Adults with Osteoarthritis: Based on the 2010-2011 Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, 21(3), 195-205. DOI: 10.5953/JMJH.2014.21.3.195 https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2014.21.3.195
- M. K. Yuk & S. R,. Suh. (2016). Health-related Quality of Life among Korean Older Women with Osteoarthritis: Comparison between Young-Old and Old-Old. The Korean Society of Living Environmental System, 23(6), 758-766. DOI : 10.21086/ksles.2016.12.23.6.758 https://doi.org/10.21086/ksles.2016.12.23.6.758
- UNECE. (2009). Integration and Participation of Older Persons in Society, UNECE Policy Brief on Ageing No. 4(November 2009), United Nations Economic Commission for Europe.
- S. J. Chang, S. Y. Kim & K. J. Moon.(2015). Social Integration in Later Life: The Possible Mediating Role of Sense of Community on the Relationship between Social Participation and Social Well-Being. Journal of Community Welfare, 52, 1-29. DOI: 10.15300/jcw.2015.52.1.1 https://doi.org/10.15300/jcw.2015.52.1.1
- Y. R. Park, Y. S. Yum, E. H. Jung, S. H. Chu & H. C. Kim. (2014). An exploratory analysis of the effects of Gyungrodang use on depression of the elderly in rural area. Korean Journal of Social Welfare Research, 40, 109-128.
- E. W. Nam, N. Ikeda, J. Green, J. Y. Moon & M. B. Park. (2008). Determinants of the Self-Rated Health Status of the Elderly in Healthy City Wonju, Republic of Korea, Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion, 25(5), 65-77.
- S. M. Moon. (2017). Gender differences in the impact of socioeconomic, health-related, and health behavioral factors on the health-related quality of life of the Korean elderly. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(6), 259-271. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2017.15.6.259 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.6.259
- S. B. Shin & J. Y. Park. (2015). Analysis of the Determinants of Quality of Life in Elderly Women. Journal of Asian Women, 54(2), 7-46.
- H. Y. Song & M. H. Park.(2017). Comparable Influencing Factors for Quality of Health-Life in Osteoarthritis Patients in Urban and Rural Area. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 8(6), 311-323. DOI:10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.6.311 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.6.311