- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Relationship between Emotional Intelligence, Critical Thinking Disposition and Clinical Competence in New Graduate Nurses immediately after Graduation
졸업직후 신규간호사의 감성지능, 비판적 사고능력 및 임상수행능력 간의 관계
- Lee, Oi Sun (Department of Nursing, Changshin University) ;
- Kim, Mi Jeoung (Department of Nursing, Changwon Moonsung University)
- Received : 2018.05.03
- Accepted : 2018.06.20
- Published : 2018.06.28
The purpose of this study is to examine to identify the mediating effects of emotional intelligence in the relation between critical thinking disposition and clinical competence among new graduate nurses immediately after graduation. Subjects were 181 new graduate nurses immediately after graduation. in two general hospitals in C city and K city. Data were collected by self-report questionnaires from February 27 to March 30, 2017. Data were analyzed by descriptive statistics, Independent t-test, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation and Multiple regression and Sobel test to test the significance of a mediation effect using SPSS 23 software. Emotional intelligence were significantly positive correlations with critical thinking disposition(r=.62, p<.001) and clinical competence(r=.60, p<.001) in new graduate nurses immediately after graduation. Emotional intelligence partially mediated the relationship between critical thinking disposition and clinical competence which showed significance in Sobel's test(Z=3.88, p<.001). Theses results indicated that in order to improve the clinical competence of new nurse, it is necessary to develop and test the program for improving not only on the critical thinking disposition but also on the emotional intelligence.
Emotional intelligence;Critical thinking disposition;Clinical competence;New graduate nurses immediately after graduation;Mediating Effect
Supported by : Changshin University
- Y. Han & Y. Park. (2013). Effects of self-leadership and job involvement on clinical competence in general hospital nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 19(4), 462-469. DOI : https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.4.462 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.4.462
- Y. S. Kim & K. Y. Park. (2013). The mediating effect of professionalism in the relationship between clinical competence and field adaptation in newly graduated nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 19(4), 536-543. DOI : https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.4.536 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.4.536
- J. S. Park & S. Y. Jang. (2017). Development of Clinical Performance Examination(CPX) using Flipped Learning. Journal of Fishries and Marine Sciens Education, 29(4), 987-1001. DOI :10.13000/JFMSE.2017.29.4.987 https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2017.29.4.987
- Y. W. Shin, H. J. Lee & Y. J. Lim. (2010). Predictors of clinical competence in new graduate nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 16(1), 37-47. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.1.37
- J. A. Park & B. J. Kim. (2009). Critical Thinking Disposition and Clinical Competence in General Hospital Nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 39(6), 840-850. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.6.840
- S. Lee. (2010). Emotional intelligence and job stress of clinical nurses in local public hospitals. Journal of Korean academy of nursing administration, 16(4), 466-474. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.4.466 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.4.466
- O. S. Lee, M. O. Gu & M. J. Kim. (2015). Influence of critical thinking disposition and emotional intelligence on clinical competence in nursing students. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 16(1), 380-388. DOI : 10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.1.380 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.1.380
- F. Faul, E. Erdfelder, A. Buchner & A. G. Lang.(2009). Statistical power analyses using G* Power 3.1: Tests for correlation and regression analyses. Behavior research methods, 41(4), 1149-1160. https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149
- C. S. Wong & K. S. Law. (2002). The effects of leader and follower emotional intelligence on performance and attitude: An exploratory study. The leadership quarterly, 13(3), 243-274. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(02)00099-1
- P. J. Hwang. (2007). A study on the influence of an employee's emotional intelligence on Organizational effectiveness. Unpublished master's thesis, Sogang University, Seoul.
- J. Yoon. (2004). Development of an instrument for the measurement of critical thinking disposition: In nursing. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul.
- W. H. Lee, C. J. Kim, J. S. Yoo, H. K. Hur, K. S. Kim & S. M. Lim. (1990). Development of a clinical competency measurement tool for student. Yeonsei Nursing, 13, 17-29.
- M. S. Choi. (2005). A Study on the Relationship between Teaching Effectiveness of Clinical Nursing Education and Clinical Competency in Nursing Students. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- R. M. Baron & D. A. Kenny. (1986). The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations. Journal of personality and social psychology, 51(6), 1173. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.113
- J. H. Park & M. H. Lee. (2017). Effects of a practical work-oriented education program on the ability of newly recruited nurses in execution of clinical competency, critical thinking and turnover rate. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(7), 191-199. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.7.191
- M. S. Kim. (2016). The Mediating Effect of Self-Efficacy in the Relationship between Emotional Intelligence and Clinical Performance among Nursing Students. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 22(4), 504-513. DOI : https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.4.504 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.4.504
- H. S. Kang, Y. Y. Kim & H. S. Lee. (2018). Predictive Factors Influencing Clinical Competence in Nursing Students. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 19(3), 389-398. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2018.19.3.389
- E. J. Hong & H. Y. Kim. (2016). The Impact of Simulation-based Learning in Undergraduate Courses on the Problem Solving and Clinical Competence for New Nurses. Jouranal Of The Korea Contents Association, 617-626.
- O. S. Lee & M. O. Gu. (2014). Development and Effects of Emotional Intelligence Program for Undergraduate Nursing Students: Mixed Methods Research. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 44(6), 682-696. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2014.44.6.682