- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effectiveness of a Smoking Cessation Healing Camp for Male Workers in a Workplace Setting
사업장 남성 근로자를 위한 금연 힐링캠프의 효과
- Limeiling, Limeiling (College of Nursing, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Ha, Yeongmi (College of Nursing & Institute of Health Sciences, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Lee, Jung-Suk (Yeungnam University College)
- Received : 2018.04.17
- Accepted : 2018.06.20
- Published : 2018.06.28
The purpose of this study was to examine the effectiveness of a smoking cessation healing camp for male workers. A single group pre-test post-test design was used. An experimental group (n=28) allocated into a smoking cessation healing camp which was provided for two days and one night. Effectiveness of the intervention was measured at soon after smoking cessation healing camp. There were significant differences between pre-test and post-test on readiness to quit smoking(t=-2.64, p=.013), smoking cessation self-efficacy(t=2.42, pp=.022), nicotine dependence(t=2.55, p=.017), and depression(t=2.85, p=.008). In conclusion, the smoking cessation healing camp is effective for male smokers in workplace settings by providing insightful antismoking information and encouraging smoking cessation self-efficacy and readiness to quit smoking.
Male;Worker;Smoking cessation;Self-efficacy;Nicotine dependence;Depression
- C. Ammendolia, P. Cote, C. Cancelliere, D. Cassidy, J. Hartvigsen & E. Boyle. (2016). Healthy and productive workers: using intervention mapping to design a workplace health promotion and wellness program to improve presenteeism. BMC Public Health, 16(1), 1190. DOI : 10.1186/s12889-016-3843-x https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-016-3843-x
- S. E. Park, H. R. Song, C. H. Kim & S. K. Ko. (2008). Economic burden of smoking in Korea 2007. Korean Journal of Health Promotion, 8(4), 219-227.
- W. N. Burton, C. Y. Chen, D. J. Conti, A. B. Schultz & D. W. Edingtion. (2006). The association between health risk change and presenteeism change. Journal of Occupational & Environmental Medicine, 48(3), 252-263. DOI : 10.1097/01.jom.0000201563.18108.af https://doi.org/10.1097/01.jom.0000201563.18108.af
- Ministry of Employment and Labor. (2016). 2014 Employees' health examination report. http://www.moel.go.kr/info/publicdata/majorpublish/maj orPublishView.do?bbs_seq=1483056274971
- M. Eriksen, J. Mackay & H. Ross. (2012). The tobacco atlas (4th ed.). American Cancer Society, Atlanta, Georgia, and World Lung Foundation, New York.
- W. Park, G. Yun & G Lee. (2011). Final report of 3th Korea Work condition survey. Occupational Safety and Health Research Institute. Ulsan.
- U. S. Department of Health and Human Services. (2006). The health consequences of involuntary exposure to tobacco smoke. A report of the Surgeon General. Atlanta : Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- K. Cahill, M. Moher & T Lancasster. (2008). Workplace interventions for smoking cessation. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 11, CD003440. DOI : 10.1002/14651858.CD003440.pub3 https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD003440.pub3
- The Clinical Practice Guideline Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence 2008 Update Panel, Liaisons, and Staff (2008). A clinical practice guideline for treating tobacco use and dependence. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 35(2), 158-176. DOI : 10.1016/j.amepre.2008.04.009 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2008.04.009
- K. S. Paek & Y. S. Kwon. (2010). The effects of a smoking cessations health camp among adolescent smokers. Journal of East-West Nursing Research, 16(2), 105-112.
- F. Faul, E. Erdfelder, A. G. Lang & A. Buchner. (2009). Statistical power analyses using G*Power 3.1: Tests for correlation and regression analyses. Behavior Research Methods, 41(4), 1149-1160. DOI: 10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149 https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149
- Canada Centre for Addiction and Mental Health. (2011). Counsellors' manual for commercial tobacco cessation treatment. https://www.nicotinedependenceclinic.com/English/CAN ADAPTT/Indigenous%20Tools%20and%20Strategies/6e.%20Counsellors'%20Guide%20to%20Commercial%20Tob acco%20Cessation%20Treatment.pdf
- T. F. Heatherton, L. T. Kozlowski, R. C. Frecker & K. O. Fagerstrom. (1991). The Fagerstrom test for nicotine dependence: A revision of the Fagerstrom tolerance questionnaire. British Journal of Addiction, 86(9), 1119-1127. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1360-0443.1991.tb01879.x
- H. K. Ahn, H. J. Lee, D. S. Jung, S. Y. Lee, S. W. Kim & J. H. Kang. (2002). The reliability and validity of Korean version of questionnaire for nicotine dependence. Journal of the Korean Academy of Family Medicine, 23(8), 999-1008.
- L. S. Radloff. (1977). CES-D scale: A self-report depression scale for research in the general population. Applied Psychological Measurement. 1(3), 385-401. DOI : 10.1177/014662167700100306 https://doi.org/10.1177/014662167700100306
- K. K. Chon & M. K. Rhee. (1992). Preliminary development of Korean version of CES-D. Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, 11(1), 65-76.
- Y. S. Kim & E. Y. Do. (2017). Influencing factors on the nicotine dependence of shift workers. Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 17(6), 132-141. DOI : 10.5392/JKCA.2017.17.06.132 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2017.17.06.132
- J. H. Lim. (2015). Development and effectiveness of smoking cessation program for workers based on Self-Determination Theory. Unpublished master's thesis. Gyeongsang National University, Jinju.
- P. Rosenbaum & R. O'Shea. (1992). Large-scale study of freedom from smoking clinics-factors in quitting. Journal of Public Health Reports, 107(2), 150-155.
- T. M. Song & J. Y. Lee. (2013) A multilevel model analysis on the determinants of smoking cessation success rates. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion, 30(1), 53-64. https://doi.org/10.14367/kjhep.2013.30.1.053
- S. O. Jang, E. J. Kim, G. A. Seomun, S. J. Lee & C. S. Park. (2006). Comparison of influential variables for smoking temptation between adolescent and adult smokers. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 36(3), 561-570. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.3.561
- T. M. Song, J. Y. Lee & J. Y. An. (2010). Changes in smoking practices and the process of nicotine dependence. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion, 27(4), 123-129.
- K. S. Yun & S. H. Cho. (2017). Effects of the smoking cessation self-efficacy improvement program on smoking patients after acute coronary syndrome. Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, 24(1), 37-46. DOI : 10.5953/JMJH.2017.24.1.37 https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2017.24.1.37
- W. F. Velicer, C. C. DiClemente, J. S. Rossi & J. O. Prochaska. (1990). Relapse situations and self-efficacy: An integrative model. Addictive Behaviors, 15(3), 271-283. https://doi.org/10.1016/0306-4603(90)90070-E
- J. H. Kong & Y. M. Ha. (2013). Effects of a smoking cessation program including telephone counseling and text messaging using stages of change for outpatients after a myocardial infarction. Journal of Korean Academy Nursing, 43(4), 557-567. DOI : 10.4040/jkan.2013.43.4.557 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.4.557
- A. Bandura.(1997). Self-efficacy: the exercise of control, 79-113, New York : NY:W.H. Freeman & Company.
- Y. S. Ha & Y. H. Choi. (2005). The effectiveness of a autonomous regulation improvement smoking cessation program on the amount of daily smoking, perceived motivation, cotinine in saliva, and autonomous regulation for girls high school students who smoked. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 16(9), 6169-6179. DOI : 10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.9.6169 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.9.6169
- Y. M. Ha, K. S. Park, H. O. Choi & S. K. Yang. (2016). Self-efficacy and preparation of smoking cessation in service and sales woman smokers working in department stores. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, 25(3), 168-176. DOI : 10.5807/kjohn.2016.25.3.168 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2016.25.3.168
- J. O. Prochaska & C. C. DiClemente. (1994). The transtheoretical approach: Crossing traditional boundaries of therapy. Malabar, FL: Krieger Publishing Co.
- H. J. Kwon, Y. J. Kim & H. S. Kim. (2016). The association between smoking amount and mental health. Journal of Wellness, 11(3), 297-305.
- T. Y. Lee & S. M. Choi. (2015). Convergence study for relationship between cholesterol level on serum and depression in Korean adults. Journal of Digital Convergence, 13(5), 269-276. DOI: 10.14400/JDC.2015.13.5.269 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.5.269
- B. E. Cohen, P. Panguluri, B. NA & M. A. Whooley. (2010). Psychological risk factors and the metabolic syndrome in patients with coronary heart disease: Findings from the Heart and Soul Study. Psychiatry Research, 175(1-2), 133-137. DOI : 10.1016/j.psychres.2009.02.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychres.2009.02.004
- S. M. Park, M. A. Han, J. Park, S. Y. Ryu, S. W. Choi, H. H. Shin & M. H. Joo. (2016). Associations between smoking, drinking and depression among Korean Adults: The 5th Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Korean Journal of Health Promotion, 16(2), 111-118. DOI : 10.15384/kjhp.2016.16.2.111 https://doi.org/10.15384/kjhp.2016.16.2.111