- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Management Innovation on the Relationship between Corporate Social Responsibility and Financial Performance
국내 제조기업의 경영혁신이 사회적책임활동과 재무성과간의 관계에 미치는 영향
- Oh, Sang-Hoon (Dept. of Convergence Industry, Seoul Venture University) ;
- Park, Hyeon-Suk (Dept. of Convergence Industry, Seoul Venture University)
- Received : 2018.05.11
- Accepted : 2018.06.20
- Published : 2018.06.28
The purpose of this study is to present the direction of CSR activities for sustainable management by analyzing the mediating effect of management innovation on the relationship between corporate social responsibility (CSR) activities and financial performance. In order to verify the research hypothesis, the results of the questionnaire of 517 employees of domestic manufacturing companies were obtained and analyzed using SPSS 18.0 and AMOS 20.0. First, CSR activities have a positive effect on management innovation. Second, management innovation and financial performance showed a positive relationship. Third, we confirmed the mediating effect of management innovation on CSR activities and financial performance. Lastly, we can confirm only the partial control effect according to the size of company in the relation of CSR activity and management innovation. It is necessary to establish systematic theories between CSR activities and financial performance through further analysis of various parameters in the future.
Sustainable Management;CSR;Management Innovation;Financial Performance;Manufacturing Firm
Y. J. Jung. (2018). CSR in 2018
Social Value' Storm is Coming. http://futurechosun.com/archives/30570.
- Juan-Gabriel Cegarra-Navarroa, Carmelo Rever-tea, Eduardo Gomez-Meleroa & Anthony K. P. Wensley. (2016). Linking Social and Economic responsibilities with Financial Performance: The Role of Innovation, European Management Journal, 34(5), 530-539. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.emj.2016.02.006
- J. S. Choi, Y. M. Kwak & C. W. Choe. (2000). Corporate Social Responsibility and Corporate Financial Performance: Evidence from Korea. Australian Journal of Management, 35, 291-311.
- Galbreath, J., Charles, D. & Oczkowski, E. (2016) The Drivers of Climate Change Innovations, Evidence from the Australian Wine Industry, Journal of Business Ethics, 135, 217-231. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-014-2461-8
- Orlitzky, M., Schmidt, F. L. & Rynes, S. L. (2003). Corporate Social and Financial Performance: A Meta-analysis. Organization Studies, 24, 403-441. https://doi.org/10.1177/0170840603024003910
- J. Surroca, J. A. Tribo & S. Waddock. (2010). Corporate Responsibility and Financial Performance: the Role of Intangible Resources. Strategic Management Journal, 31, 463-490. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.820
- P. Bromiley & A. Marcus. (1989). The Deterrent to Dubious Corporate Behavior: Probability and Safety Recalls. Strategic Management Journal, 10(9), 233-250. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250100304
- P. Wright & S. Ferris. (1997). Agency Conflict and Corporate Strategy: The Effect of Divestment on Corporate Value. Strategic Management Journal, 18(1), 77-83. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199701)18:1<77::AID-SMJ810>3.0.CO;2-R
- K. E. Aupperle, A. B. Carroll & J. D. Hatfield. (1985). An Empirical Examination of the Relationship between Corporate Social Responsibility and Profitability. The Academy of Management Journal, 28, 446-463.
- S. H. Teoh, I. Welch & C. P. Wazzan. (1999). The Effect of Socially Activist Investment Policies on the Financial Markets: Evidence from the South African Boycott. The Journal of Business, 72, 35-89. https://doi.org/10.1086/209602
- A. McWilliams & D. Siegel. (2001). Corporate Social Responsibility: A Theory of the Firm Perspective. The Academy of Management Review, 26, 117-127. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2001.4011987
- M. E. Porter & C. Van der Linde. (1995). Green and Competitive: Ending the Stalemate. Harvard Business Review, 73, 120-134.
- A. McWilliams, D. Siegel. & P. M. Wright. (2006). Corporate Social Responsibility: Strategic Implications. Journal of Management Studies, 43, 1-18. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.2006.00580.x
- Khalid M. Al-Shuaibi. (2016). A Structural Equation Model of CSR and Performance: Mediation by Innovation and Productivity. Journal of Management and Sustainability, 6(2), 139-153. https://doi.org/10.5539/jms.v6n2p139
- Isabel Martinez-Conesa, PedroSoto-Acosta & Mercedes Palacios-Manzano. (2017). Corporate Social Responsibility and Its Effect on Innova -tion and Firm Performance: An Empirical Research in SMEs. Journal of Cleaner Production, 142(4), 2374-2383. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.11.038
- Rachel Bocquet, Christian Le Bas, Caroline Mothe & Nicolas Poussing. (2017). CSR, Innovation, and Firm Performance in Sluggish Growth Contexts: A Firm-Level Empirical Analysis. Journal of Business Ethics, 146(1), 241-254. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-015-2959-8
- A. Dahlsrud. (2008). How Corporate Social Responsibility Is Defined: An Analysis of 37 Definitions. Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 15, 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1002/csr.132
- H. W. Jung. (2013). CSR Monitor - Korea's 4 CSR Dilemma Based on Public Opinion. GlobalScan, l(1), 8-20.
- H, R. Bowen. (1953). Social Responsibilities of the Businessman, New York, Harper & Row.
- A. B. Carroll. (1979). A Three-dimensional Conceptual Model of Corporate Performance, Academy of Management Review, l(4), 497-505.
- R. E. Freeman. (1984). Strategic Management: A Stakeholder Approach. Marshfield, Pitman Publishing.
- A. B. Carroll. (1991). The Pyramid of Corporate Social Responsibility: toward The Moral Management of Organizational Stakeholders. Business Horizons, 4, 497-505.
- M .B. E. Clarkson. (1995). A Stakeholder Framework for Analyzing and Evaluating Corporate Social Performance. Academic Management Review, 20(1), 92-117. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1995.9503271994
- R. E. Freeman. (1999). Stakeholders, Social Responsibility and Performance: Empirical Evidence and Theoretical Perspectives. Academy of Management Journal, 42(5), 479-485. https://doi.org/10.2307/256971
- S. Sen, C. B. Bhattacharya & D. Korschun. (2006). The Role of Corporate Social Responsibility in Strengthening Multiple Stakeholder Relationships: A Field Experiment. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 34(2), 158-166. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070305284978
- C. Valor. (2005). Corporate Social Responsibility and Corporate Citizenship: Towards Corporate Accountability. Business and Society Review, 110, 191-212. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0045-3609.2005.00011.x
- J. C. Park & G. H. Lee. (2009). The Impact of Corporate Sustainability Management Efforts on Company Trust and Customer Satisfaction. Journal of Korea Industrial Economics, l(2), 1-22.
- J. Elkington. (1997). Cannibals with Forks: The Triple Bottom Line of 21st Century Business. Oxford.
- P. Drucker. (1985). Innovation and Entre -preneurship, Practice and Principles. New York Harper & Row.
- F. Damanpour. (1991) Organizational Innovation: A Meta-Analysis of Effects of Determinants and Moderators. Academy of Management Journal, 34, 555-590.
- K. Knight. (1967). A Descriptive Model of the Intra-firm Innovation Process. Journal of Business, 40, 478-496. https://doi.org/10.1086/295013
- D. Grayson & A. Hodges. (2004). Corporate Social Responsibility: 7 Steps to Make Corporate Social Responsibility Work for Your Business. Greenleaf, Sheffield.
- T. Bernauer, Engels, Kammerer, S. D. & Seijas, J. (2007). Explaining Green Innovation, Center for Comparative and International Studies (CIS), ETH, Working Paper, 17.
- X. Luo & S. Du. (2015). Exploring the Relationship between Corporate Social Responsibility and Firm Innovation. Marketing Letters, 26(4), 703-714. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11002-014-9302-5
- A. D. Little. (2006). The Innovation Highground Winning Tomorrow's Customers Using Sustainability Driven Innovation. Strategic Direction, 22, 35-37. https://doi.org/10.1108/02580540610635942
- D. R. Dalton, D. M. Drackhardt & L. W. Porter. (1981) Functional Turnover : An Empirical Assessment. Journal of Applied Psychology, 66, 716-721. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.66.6.716
- S. P. Kim & J. K. Shin. (2006). Strategy-Making Processes and Organizational Performance in the Small and Medium Sized Firms. Korean Assoc. Small Business Studies, 28(1), 3-36.
- Dess & Robinson. (1984). Measuring Organizational Performance in the Absence of Objective Measures: The Case of the Privately-Held Firm and Conglomerate Business Unit.Strategic Management Journal, 5(3), 265-273. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250050306
- Venkatraman, N. & Ramanujam, V. (1987). Planning System Success: A Conceptualization and an Operational model. Management Science, 33(6), 687-705. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.33.6.687
- A. Shoham. (1998). Export performance: A Conceptualization and Empirical Assessment. Journal of International Marketing, 6, 59-81.
- E. Mansfield. (1963). The Speed of Response of Firm to New Techniques. The Quarterly Journal of Economies, 290-331.
- J. H. Choi. (2006). Informatization of Manufacturing Industry and Direction. Journal of the Korean Society of Machine Tool Engineers, 15(1), 8-12.
- J. C. Bae & S. Y. Lee. (2010). Absorptive Capacity and IT on Innovation : Comparison Between Manufacturing and Service Firm. Proceedings of KIIS Fall Conference, 702-717.
- Z. Acs, D. Audretsch & B. Carlson. (1991). Flexible Technology and Firm Size. Small Business Economics, 3(4), 307-319. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01840612
- J. A. Hansen. (1992). A Innovation, Firm Size and Firm Age. Small Business Economics, 4(1), 37-44. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00402214
- A. McWilliams & D. Siegel. (2000). Corporate Social Responsibility and Financial Performance: Correlation or Mis-specification?. Strategic Management Journal, 21(5), 603-609. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(200005)21:5<603::AID-SMJ101>3.0.CO;2-3
- K. Mendibil, J Hernandez, X. Espinach, E. Garriga & S. Macgregor. (2007). How can CSR Practices Lead to Successful Innovation in SMES?. Publication from the RESPONSE Project, 1-7.
- S. Holmes & L. Moir. (2007). Developing a Conceptual Framework to Identify Corporate Innovations Through Engagement With Non-profit Stakeholders. Corporate Governance. The International Journal of Business in Society, 7(4), 414-422.
- J. C. Yoon, W. G. Lee & D. H. Kim. (2015). A Study on the Effects of Corporate Sustainable Management Activities on Innovation in Convergence era, Journal of Digital Convergence, 13(4), 115-125. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.4.115
- Y. S. Chen, S. B. Lai & C. T. Wen. (2006). The Influence of Green Innovation Performance on Corporate Advantage in Taiwan. Journal of Business Ethics, 81(3), 531-543. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-007-9522-1
- C. E. Hull & S. Rothenberg. (2008). Firm Performance: The Inter-actions of Corporate Social Performance with Innovation and Industry Differentiation. Strategic Management Journal, 29(7), 781-789. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.675
- F. J. Heunks. (1998). Innovation, Creativity and Success. Small Business Economics, 10(3), 263-272. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1007968217565
- S. K. Kim. (2007). Doctoral dissertation. Management Innovation and Corporate Performance : Moderating Effects of Network Organization. Busan University, Busan.
- Y. C. Lee. (2008). Corporate Social Responsibility, Innovation Capability, and Organizational Performance: A Structural Approach. Management Research, 2008(4), 133-157.
- J. H. Jung & S. S. Kim. (2014). The Institutional Drivers on Global Eco-friendly Innovation Strategy of MNCs and Business Performance. Korea International Business Management Conference, 139-159.
- Graafland. J. van de Ven, B. & N. Stoffele. (2004). Strategies and Instruments for Organising CSR by Small and Large Business in the Netherlands. Journal of Business Ethics, 47(1), 45-60. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1026240912016
- Aragon-Correa, J. A., Hurtado-Torres, N., Sharma, S., & Garcia-Morales, J. V. (2008). Environmental Strategy and Performance in Small Firms; A Resource-based Perspective. Journal of Environmental Management, 86(1), 88-103. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2006.11.022
- N. Venkatraman. (1989). Strategic Orientation of Business Enterprises: The Construct, Dimensionality, and Measuremen.. Management Science, 35, 942-962. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.35.8.942
- H. S. Lee & J. H. Lim. (2013). Structural Equation Model Analysis and AMOS 20.0, Seoul : Jibhyeonjae.
- J. P. Woo. (2012). Professor Woo Jong-Pil's Concept and Understanding of Structural Equation Model, Seoul : Hannarae.
- G. Rubera & A. H. Kirea. (2012). Firm Innovativeness and Its Performance Outcomes: A Meta-Analytic Review and Theoretical Integration. Journal of Marketing, 76(3), 130-147. https://doi.org/10.1509/jm.10.0494