- Volume 8 Issue 2
The open source software OpenFOAM is utilised to simulate the water entry and hydrodynamic impact process of 2D wedges and ship hull sections. Incompressible multiphase flow solver interDyMFoam is employed to calculate the free fall of structure from air into water using dynamically deforming mesh technique. Both vertical and oblique entry of wedges of various dead-rise angles have been examined. A convergence study of dynamics as well as kinematics of the flow problem is carried out on successively refined meshes. Obtained results are presented and compared to the experimental measurements showing good agreement and reasonable mesh convergence of the solution.
multiphase flow;free surface;wave impact
- Chuang, S.L. (1970), "Investigation of impact of rigid and elastic bodies with water", Tech. Rep. No. NSRDC-3248 (Department of the Navy, Washington, D. C. 2000).
- Faltinsen, O. (2000). "Hydroelastic slamming", J. Mar. Sci. Technol., 5, 49-65.
- Frank Martijn, B.O.S. (2010), "Numerical simulations of flapping foil and wing aerodynamics: Mesh deformation using radial basis functions", PhD Thesis, Delft University of Technology, Netherland.
- Gu, H., Qian, L., Causon, D., Mingham, C. and Lin, P. (2014), "Numerical simulation of water impact of solid bodies with vertical and oblique entries", Ocean Eng., 75, 128-137. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2013.11.021
- Hong, S.Y., Kim, K.H and Hwang, S.C. (2017), "Comparative study of water-impact problem for ship section and wedge drops", Int. J. Offshore Polar., 27(2), 123-134. https://doi.org/10.17736/ijope.2017.jc699
- Kim, K.H., Lee, D.Y., Hong, S.Y., Kim, B.W., Kim, Y.S. and Nam, B.W. (2014), "Experimental study on the water impact load on symmetric and asymmetric wedges", Proceedings of the 24th International Ocean and Polar Engineering Conference, Busan, Korea, Juan 15-20.
- Ma, Z., Causon, D., Qian, L., Mingham, C. and Martinez Ferrer, P. (2016). "Numerical investigation of air enclosed wave impacts in a depressurized tank", Ocean Eng., 123, 15-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2016.06.044
- Martinez Ferrer, P., Causon, D., Qian, L., Mingham, C. and Ma, Z. (2016), "A multi-region coupling scheme for compressible and incompressible flow solvers for two-phase flow in a numerical wave tank", Comput. Fluids, 125, 116-129. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compfluid.2015.11.005
- Qian, L., Causon, D.M., Mingham, C.G. and Ingram, D.M. (2006). "A free-surface capturing method for two fluid flows with moving bodies", Proceedings of the Roy. Soc.: A, 462(2065), 21-42. https://doi.org/10.1098/rspa.2005.1528
- Southall, N., Choi, S., Lee, Y., Hong, C., Hirdaris, S. and White, N. (2015), "Impact analysis using CFD - A comparative study", Proceedings of the 25th International Ocean and Polar Engineering Conference, Kona, Big Island, Hawaii, USA, Juan 21-26.
- Xu, G.D. and Duan, W.Y. (2009), "Review of prediction techniques on hydrodynamic impact of ships", J. Mar. Sci. Appl., 8, 204-210. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11804-009-8039-7
Grant : A Zonal CFD Approach for Fully Nonlinear Simulations of Two Vessels in Launch and Recovery Operations
Supported by : Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)