- Volume 20 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Case Studies of a Performance-Based Contract for National Highway Pavement Maintenance
성능보증제도를 적용한 일반국도 유지보수공사 시범사업
- Lim, Jaekyu ;
- Kim, Yongjoo ;
- Kim, Myeongil ;
- Lee, Jaejun (Dept. of Civil Engineering, Chonbuk National University)
- 임재규 (한국건설기술연구원 도로포장연구실.인하대학교 토목공학과) ;
- 김용주 (한국건설기술연구원 도로포장연구실) ;
- 김명일 (한국건설기술연구원 도로포장연구실) ;
- 이재준 (전북대학교 토목공학과 방재연구센터)
- Received : 2017.08.24
- Accepted : 2018.01.10
- Published : 2018.02.19
PURPOSES : Case studies of an asphalt-overlay project with a performance-based contract method were conducted on a national highway in Korea to evaluate the effect of the method on asphalt pavement maintenance. This study evaluated the procedure of the performance-based contract method. METHODS : In this study, an asphalt-pavement maintenance project for a national highway was assessed with a performance-based contract to investigate the advantage of the new contract procedures. This is the first trial applying the performance-based contract to a pavement-rehabilitation project in Korea. In the four case studies, the warranty period of the performance-based contract was designed for seven years. The research team monitored the construction site to compare the normal contract method with the performance-based contract method. The case studies' project sites were investigated after the end of the construction. RESULTS : Based on the limited case studies, the performance-based contract method could extend the service life of the asphalt pavement and reduce the pavement-maintenance budget because the quality control was well managed by the contractors. However, a few construction laws would be necessary to apply the performance-based contract method in the future. CONCLUSIONS : Using the performance-based contract, the construction company made great efforts to guarantee the warranty period and to apply the optimal maintenance method, based on the pavement distress condition. The contractor and the agency would need to understand the new performance-based contract system for it to be activated. Therefore, a proper education program for the performance-based contract system would be needed to educate the stakeholders regarding the procedures and their effects on the pavement management and maintenance.
- Cho, S. and Seo, Y. (2010). "Plan for Introduction and Administration of Performance Warranty Contracting - Base on the case of Highway Pavement - ", Journal of the architectural institute of Korea : Planning & design, Vol. 3, pp.121-129.
- "European Bank, World Policy Paper on Infrastructure Policy" Challenges in the Implementation of Performance-based Contracting for Road Maintenance, 2016, June.
- Faiz, A. (2017). "Performance Based Contracting Introductory Concepts and Operational Framework", Performance Based Contracts- Executive Seminar, Amsterdam, Netherlands, March 5-11.
- Gupta, D., Vedantam, A. and Azadivar, J. (2011). Optimal Contract Mechanism Design for Performance-Based Contracts, Minnesota DOT Research project Final Report 2011-18.
- Hyman, W. A. (2009). "Performance-based contacting for Maintenance: A Synthesis of Highway Practice" , Transportation Research Board, National Cooperative Highway Research Program Synthesis 389.
- KICT(Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology) (2014). 2013 Pavement Management System Annual Report (2013 도로포장관리시스템 최종보고서).
- Kim, T., Seo, Y., Lee, S., and Koo, J. (2008). "A Basic Study on the Methodology to Introduce Warranty Contracting for Pavement in Korea", Korea Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol. 9, No. 4. pp.67-74.
- Kim, T., Seo, Y., Lee, S., Koo, J., Kim, K. (2008). "Analysis of Domestic and Overseas Environment to Introduce Performance Warranty Contract for Pavements into Korea", Proceeding of Construction Engineering and Management, pp.216-221.
- Lee, H. (2000). "A Study on the Problem of Defects Liability System and Introduction on Performance Guarantee System In Domestic." Journal of the Regional Association of Architectural Institute of Korea, Vol. 2, No. 4, pp.123-130.
- Lee, S. (2010). "Adjustment of Contract Price according to Introduction of Pay Adjustment", Journal of the Korea Institute of Building Construction. Vol. 10, No. 1, p.175-180. https://doi.org/10.5345/JKIC.2010.10.1.175
- Seo, Y. (2009). "Strategies for Introducing the Performance Warranty Contract into the Domestic Road Construction Project", Magazine of the Korea Concrete Institute, Vol. 21, No. 9, pp.33-37.
- Stankevich, N., Qureshi, N. and Queiroz, C. (2005). "Performance-based Contracting for preservation and Improvement of Road Assets", Transport notes No. TN-27. World Bank, Washington D.C.
- Yoshida, T. "Performance-Based Specification as a Step to Performance-Based Management and Maintenance of Pavement in Japan"(Accessed on July 18, 2017: Online Access: http://www.pwri.go.jp/team/maruro/image/sydney.pdf).