- Volume 2 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Dependence of Retardation Dispersion on the Ultraviolet Polarization Direction During Photopolymerization of Self-organized Smectic Reactive Mesogen Molecules
- Jeong, Jinyoung (Future Semiconductor Convergence Technology Research Center, Division of Electronics Engineering, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Choi, Yu-Jin (Department of Polymer-Nano Science and Technology, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Jeong, Kwang-Un (Department of Polymer-Nano Science and Technology, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Lee, Ji-Hoon (Future Semiconductor Convergence Technology Research Center, Division of Electronics Engineering, Chonbuk National University)
- Received : 2018.04.02
- Accepted : 2018.06.08
- Published : 2018.06.25
We investigated the dependence of the retardation dispersion on the polarization direction of ultraviolet (UV) light during the photopolymerization of self-organized smectic reactive mesogen (RM) molecules. RM retarder film that was photopolymerized with UV light linearly polarized parallel to the layer plane showed negative dispersion (ND) of retardation for a wide range of UV polymerization temperatures. On the other hand, film that was photopolymerized with unpolarized UV light showed negative dispersion in a narrow range of UV polymerization temperatures. With a certain UV polymerization temperature, the dispersion of retardation was converted from positive to negative, depending on the UV polarization.
Supported by : Korea Display Research Consortium, National Research Foundation (NRF)
- P. Yeh and C. Gu, Optics of Liquid Crystal Displays (John Wiley and Sons, USA, 1999) pp. 242-247.
- A. Uchiyama and T. Yatabe, "Control of wavelength dispersion of birefringence for oriented copolycarbonate films containing positive and negative birefringent units," Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 42, 6941-6945 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1143/JJAP.42.6941
- A. Uchiyama, Y. Ono, Y. Ikeda, H. Shuto, and K. Yahata, "Copolycarbonate optical films developed using birefringence dispersion control," Poly. J. 44, 995-1008 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1038/pj.2012.52
- O. Parri, G. Smith, R. Harding, H.-J. Yoon, I. Gardiner, J. Sargent, and K. Skjonnemand, "Patterned retarder films using reactive mesogen technology," Proc. SPIE 7956, 1-11 (2011).
- H. Lee and J.-H. Lee, "Negative dispersion of birefringence in two-dimensionally self-organized smectic liquid crystal and monomer thin film," Opt. Lett. 39, 5146-5149 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1364/OL.39.005146
- S. Yang, H. Lee, and J.-H. Lee, "Negative dispersion of birefringence of smectic liquid crystal-polymer composite: dependence on the constituent molecules and temperature," Opt. Express 23, 2466-2471 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.23.002466
- J. Hwang, S. Yang, Y.-J. Choi, Y. Lee, K.-U. Jeong, and J.-H. Lee, "Single layer retarder with negative dispersion of birefringence and wide field-of-view," Opt. Express 24, 268760 (2016).
- T.-H. Yoon, G.-D. Lee, and J. C. Kim, "Nontwist quarterwave liquid-crystal cell for a high-contrast reflective display," Opt. Lett. 25, 1547-1549 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1364/OL.25.001547
- A. Geivandov, A. Lazarev, P. Lazarev, and S. Palto, "Negative dispersion retarder for 3D TV applications," International Display Workshop, 265-267 (2010).
- Y. Takahashi, Y. Furuki, S. Yoshida, T. Otani, M. Muto, Y. Suga, and Y. Ito, "A new achromatic quarter-wave film using liquid-crystal materials for anti-reflection of OLEDs," SID Int. Symp. Digest 381-384 (2014).
- K. Osato and T. Kobayashi, "Novel 1/4-wave plate film for OLED panels," SID Int. Symp. Digest 1687-1690 (2015).
- S. Shen, J. She, and T. Tao, "Optimal design of achromatic true zero-order waveplates using twisted nematic liquid crystal," J. Opt. Soc. A. 22, 961 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1364/JOSAA.22.000961
- A. K. Srivastava, S. Yang, and J.-H. Lee, "Negative dispersion retarder using two negative birefringence films," Opt. Express 23, 13108-13114 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.23.013108
- S. Yang, H. Lee, and J.-H. Lee, "Negative dispersion retarder with a wide viewing angle made by stacking reactive mesogen on a polymethylmethacrylate film," Opt. Eng. 55, 027106 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1117/1.OE.55.2.027106
- T. Danjo, Y. Enomoto, H. Shimada, S. Nobukawa, M. Yamaguchi, and T. Iwata, "Zero birefringence films of pullulan ester derivatives," Sci. Reports 27, 46432 (2017).
- E. Beltran, I. Gardiner, and M. Goebel, "Coatable optical films for advanced displays," SID Int. Symp. Digest 790-792 (2017).
- J. Jeong, Y.-J. Choi, K.-U. Jeong, and J.-H. Lee, "Conversion of retardation dispersion in self-organized smectic reactive mesogen compound and its dependence on the UV polymerization temperature and the molecular orientation," Opt. Express 26, 325903 (2018).
- D. Voloschenko, O. P. Pishnyak, S. V. Shiyanovskii, and O. D. Lavrentovich, "Effect of director distortions on morphologies of phase separation in liquid crystals," Phys. Rev. E 65, 060701R (2002).
- K.-S. Kim and J.-H. Lee, "Hybrid alignment induced by asymmetric photopolymerization of liquid crystal-reactive mesogn composition betwen two plastic substrates," Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 50, 051701 (2011). https://doi.org/10.7567/JJAP.50.051701
- T.-H. Yoon and J.-H. Lee, "Effect of the polarisation direction and incident angle of a UV light on the electrooptical response of the polymer-stabilised vertically aligned in-plane switching liquid crystal," Liq. Cryst. 41, 920-926 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1080/02678292.2014.892159