- Volume 31 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
New surveillance concepts in food safety in meat producing animals: the advantage of high throughput 'omics' technologies - A review
- Pfaffl, Michael W. ;
- Riedmaier-Sprenzel, Irmgard
- Received : 2018.03.07
- Accepted : 2018.05.23
- Published : 2018.07.01
The misuse of anabolic hormones or illegal drugs is a ubiquitous problem in animal husbandry and in food safety. The ban on growth promotants in food producing animals in the European Union is well controlled. However, application regimens that are difficult to detect persist, including newly designed anabolic drugs and complex hormone cocktails. Therefore identification of molecular endogenous biomarkers which are based on the physiological response after the illicit treatment has become a focus of detection methods. The analysis of the 'transcriptome' has been shown to have promise to discover the misuse of anabolic drugs, by indirect detection of their pharmacological action in organs or selected tissues. Various studies have measured gene expression changes after illegal drug or hormone application. So-called transcriptomic biomarkers were quantified at the mRNA and/or microRNA level by reverse transcription-quantitative polymerase chain reaction (RT-qPCR) technology or by more modern 'omics' and high throughput technologies including RNA-sequencing (RNA-Seq). With the addition of advanced bioinformatical approaches such as hierarchical clustering analysis or dynamic principal components analysis, a valid 'biomarker signature' can be established to discriminate between treated and untreated individuals. It has been shown in numerous animal and cell culture studies, that identification of treated animals is possible via our transcriptional biomarker approach. The high throughput sequencing approach is also capable of discovering new biomarker candidates and, in combination with quantitative RT-qPCR, validation and confirmation of biomarkers has been possible. These results from animal production and food safety studies demonstrate that analysis of the transcriptome has high potential as a new screening method using transcriptional 'biomarker signatures' based on the physiological response triggered by illegal substances.
Livestock;Growth Promotants;Anabolic Hormones;Biomarker Signatures;Transcriptome;Drug Abuse Detection
- Council Directive 96/23/EC (OJ L125, p10, 23/05/1996) of 29 April 1996 on measures to monitor certain substances and residues in live animals and animal products. Brussels, Belgium: European Commission, 1996.
- De Brabander HF, Le Bizec B, Pinel G, et al. Past, present and future of mass spectrometry in the analysis of residues of banned substances in meat-producing animals. J Mass Spectrom 2007;42:983-98. https://doi.org/10.1002/jms.1272
- Swan SH, Liu F, Overstreet JW, Brazil C, Skakkebaek NE. Semen quality of fertile US males in relation to their mothers' beef consumption during pregnancy. Hum Reprod 2007;22:1497-502. https://doi.org/10.1093/humrep/dem068
- Meyer HHD, Hoffmann S. Development of a sensitive microtitration plate enzyme-immunoassay for the anabolic steroid trenbolone. Food Addit Contam 1987;4:149-60. https://doi.org/10.1080/02652038709373626
- Meyer HHD, Rinke L, Duersch I. Residue screening for the beta-agonists clenbuterol, salbutamol and cimaterol in urine using enzyme immunoassay and high-performance liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr B Biomed Sci Appl 1991;564:551-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-4347(91)80523-F
- Scippo ML, Degand G, Duyckaerts A, Maghuin-Rogister G, Delahaut P. Control of the illegal administration of natural steroid hormones in the plasma of bulls and heifers. Analyst 1994;119:2639-44. https://doi.org/10.1039/an9941902639
- Cantiello M, Carletti M, Cannizzo FT, et al. Effects of an illicit cocktail on serum immunoglobulins, lymphocyte proliferation and cytokine gene expression in the veal calf. Toxicology 2007;242:39-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tox.2007.09.004
- Riedmaier I, Pfaffl MW. Transcriptional Biomarkers - High throughput screening, quantitative verification and bioinformatical validation methods. Methods 2013;59:3-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymeth.2012.08.012
- Pfaffl MW. Advanced molecular diagnostics for biomarker discovery. Biomol Detect Quantif 2015;5:1-2. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bdq.2015.09.003
- Pinel G, Weigel S, Antignac JP, et al. Targeted and untargeted profiling of biological fluids to screen for anabolic practices in cattle. Trends Analyt Chem 2010;29:1269-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trac.2010.06.010
- Riedmaier I, Becker C, Pfaffl MW, Meyer HHD. The use of omic technologies for biomarker development to trace functions of anabolic agents. J Chromatogr A. 2009;1216:8192-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2009.01.094
- Heneghan HM, Miller N, Kerin MJ. MiRNAs as biomarkers and therapeutic targets in cancer. Curr Opin Pharmacol 2010;10:543-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coph.2010.05.010
- Kurian KM, Watson CJ, Wyllie AH. DNA chip technology. J Pathol 1999;187:267-71. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9896(199902)187:3<267::AID-PATH275>3.0.CO;2-#
- Weile J, Knabbe C. Current applications and future trends of molecular diagnostics in clinical bacteriology. Anal Bioanal Chem 2009;394:731-42. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00216-009-2779-8
- Wang Z, Gerstein M, Snyder M. RNA-Seq: a revolutionary tool for transcriptomics. Nat Rev Genet 2009;10:57-63. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrg2484
- Yamamoto M, Wakatsuki T, Hada A, Ryo A. Use of serial analysis of gene expression (SAGE) technology. J Immunol Methods 2001;250:45-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-1759(01)00305-2
- Spornraft M, Haase B, Benes V, Pfaffl MW, Riedmaier I. Optimization of extraction of circulating RNAs from plasma - enabling small RNA sequencing. PLoS One 2014;9:e107259. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0107259
- Costa V, Angelini C, De F, Ciccodicola A. Uncovering the complexity of transcriptomes with RNA-Seq. J Biomed Biotechnol 2010;2010:Article ID 853916.
- Spornraft M, Kirchner B, Pfaffl MW, Riedmaier I. The potential of circulating extracellular small RNAs (smexRNA) in veterinary diagnostics - identifying biomarker signatures by multivariate data analysis. Biomol Detect Quantif 2015;5:15-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bdq.2015.08.001
- Buschmann D, Haberberger A, Kirchner B, et al. Towards reliable biomarker signatures in the age of liquid biopsies - how to standardize the small RNA-Seq workflow. Nucleic Acids Res 2016;44:5995-6018. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/gkw545
- Alwine JC, Kemp DJ, Stark GR. Method for detection of specific RNAs in agarose gels by transfer to diazobenzyloxymethylpaper and hybridization with DNA probes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1977;74:5350-4. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.74.12.5350
- Higuchi R, Dollinger G, Walsh PS, Griffith R. Simultaneous amplification and detection of specific DNA-sequences. Biotechnology (NY) 1992;10:413-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/nbt0492-413
- Kubista M, Andrade JM, Bengtsson M, et al. The real-time polymerase chain reaction. Mol Aspects Med 2006;27:95-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mam.2005.12.007
- Smith CJ, Osborn AM. Advantages and limitations of quantitative PCR (Q-PCR)-based approaches in microbial ecology. FEMS Microbiol Ecol 2009;67:6-20. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-6941.2008.00629.x
- Gunson RN, Bennett S, Maclean A, Carman WF. Using multiplex real time PCR in order to streamline a routine diagnostic service. J Clin Virol 2008;43:372-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcv.2008.08.020
- Meyer SU, Kaiser S, Wagner C, Thirion C, Pfaffl MW. Profound effect of profiling platform and normalization strategy on detection of differentially expressed microRNAs - a comparative study. PLoS ONE 2012;7:e38946. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0038946
- Becker C, Riedmaier I, Reiter M, et al. Changes in the miRNA profile under the influence of anabolic steroids in bovine liver. Analyst 2011;136:1204-9. https://doi.org/10.1039/c0an00703j
- Riedmaier I, Benes V, Blake J, et al. RNA-sequencing as useful screening tool in the combat against the misuse of anabolic agents in cattle. Anal Chem 2012;84:6863-8. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac301433d
- Ginsburg GS, Haga SB. Translating genomic biomarkers into clinically useful diagnostics. Expert Rev Mol Diagn 2006;6:179-91. https://doi.org/10.1586/1473718.104.22.168
- Reiter M, Walf VM, Christians A, Pfaffl MW, Meyer HHD. Modification of mRNA expression after treatment with anabolic agents and the usefulness for gene expression-biomarkers. Anal Chim Acta 2007;586:73-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aca.2006.10.049
- Lopparelli RM, Zancanella V, Giantin M, et al. Steroidogenic enzyme gene expression profiles in the testis of cattle treated with illicit growth promoters. Steroids 2011;76:508-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.steroids.2011.01.011
- Becker C, Riedmaier I, Reiter M, et al. Influence of anabolic combinations of an androgen plus an estrogen on biochemical pathways in bovine uterine endometrium and ovary. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 2010;125:192-201.
- Riedmaier I, Reiter M, Tichopad A, Pfaffl MW, Meyer HHD. The potential of bovine vaginal smear for biomarker development to trace the misuse of anabolic agents. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 2011;119:86-94.
- De Jager N, Hudson NJ, Reverter A, et al. Chronic exposure to anabolic steroids induces the muscle expression of oxytocin and a more than fiftyfold increase in circulating oxytocin in cattle. Physiol Genomics 2011;43:467-78. https://doi.org/10.1152/physiolgenomics.00226.2010
- Toffolatti L, Rosa GL, Patarnello T, et al. Expression analysis of androgen-responsive genes in the prostate of veal calves treated with anabolic hormones. Domest Anim Endocrinol 2006;30:38-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.domaniend.2005.05.008
- Pfaffl MW, Daxenberger A, Hageleit M, Meyer HHD. Effects of synthetic progestagens on the mRNA expression of androgen receptor, progesterone receptor, estrogen receptor alpha and beta, insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-1 and IGF-1 receptor in Heifer tissues. J Vet Med A Physiol Pathol Clin Med 2002;49:57-64. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1439-0442.2002.jv412.x
- Sato S, Nomura S, Kawano F, et al. Effects of the beta2-agonist clenbuterol on beta1- and beta2-adrenoceptor mRNA expressions of rat skeletal and left ventricle muscles. J Pharmacol Sci 2008;107:393-400. https://doi.org/10.1254/jphs.08097FP
- Becker C, Riedmaier I, Reiter M, et al. Effect of trenbolone acetate plus estradiol on transcriptional regulation of metabolism pathways in bovine liver. Horm Mol Biol Clin Investig 2011;2:257-65.
- Riedmaier I, Spornraft M, Pfaffl MW. Identification of a potential gene expression biomarker signature in bovine liver to detect the abuse of growth promoters. Food Addit Contam Part A Chem Anal Control Expo Risk Assess 2014;4:641-9.
- Giantin M, Lopparelli RM, Zancanella V, et al. Effects of illicit dexamethasone upon hepatic drug metabolizing enzymes and related transcription factors mRNAs and their potential use as biomarkers in cattle. J Agric Food Chem 2010;58:1342-9. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf9033317
- Rijk JC, Peijnenburg AA, Hendriksen PJ, et al. Feasibility of a liver transcriptomics approach to assess bovine treatment with the prohormone dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA). BMC Vet Res 2010;6:44. https://doi.org/10.1186/1746-6148-6-44
- Reiter M, Pfaffl MW, Schönfelder M, Meyer HHD. Gene expression in hair follicle dermal papilla cells after treatment with stanozolol. Biomark Insights 2009;4:1-8.
- Reiter M, Lüderwald S, Pfaffl MW, Meyer HHD. First steps towards new screening method anabolic androgenic androgens in human hair follicles. Doping J 2008,5:3.
- Riedmaier I, Tichopad A, Reiter M, Pfaffl MW, Meyer HHD. Identification of potential gene expression biomarkers for the surveillance of anabolic agents in bovine blood cells. Anal Chim Acta 2009;638:106-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aca.2009.02.014
- Lee G, Rodriguez C, Madabhushi A. Investigating the efficacy of nonlinear dimensionality reduction schemes in classifying gene and protein expression studies. IEEE/ACM Trans Comput Biol Bioinform 2008;5:368-84. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCBB.2008.36
- Bergkvist A, Rusnakova V, Sindelka R, et al. Gene expression profiling--Clusters of possibilities. Methods 2010;50:323-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymeth.2010.01.009
- Costa V, Angelini C, De Feis I, Ciccodicola A. Uncovering the complexity of transcriptomes with RNA-Seq. J Biomed Biotechnol 2010;2010:Article ID853916.