- Volume 31 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Current situation and future prospects for beef production in China - A review
- Li, Xiang Zi (Co-Innovation Center of Beef Cattle Science and Industry Technology, Yanbian University) ;
- Yan, Chang Guo (Co-Innovation Center of Beef Cattle Science and Industry Technology, Yanbian University) ;
- Zan, Lin Sen (Department of Animal Science, Northwest A&F University)
- Received : 2018.03.16
- Accepted : 2018.05.27
- Published : 2018.07.01
The beef industry is an important part of livestock and meat production in China. China ranks third in the world for beef production. With the rapid development of the Chinese economy, beef consumption has grown rapidly, and beef consumption has been increasing with rising per capita gross domestic production. However, the domestic beef industry in China has not been able to keep pace with growth in consumption, making China a net importer of beef from other countries. Moreover, the volume of production has increased little despite rising demand. The slowing of growth in beef production in recent years has led to a sharp rise in beef prices. Domestic beef production and consumption is restricted by a shortage of beef cattle inventory. The Chinese beef industry is facing many technical problems including transformation of traditional practices, feeding and management systems, and genetic improvement of cattle breeds. The long-term, sustainable development of the Chinese beef industry is an important issue for China.
Beef Cattle;Current Situation;Future Prospects;China
- Zhang ZB, XU P, Duan ZY. Food security should be the ultimate goal of agricultural modernization in China. Chinese J Eco-Agric 2015;23:1215-9.
- Zan LS, Mei CG, Wang HC. Current situation, existing problems and countermeasures on development of beef cattle industry in China. J Northwest A&F Univ 2015;6:48-52.
- USDA. Washington, DC, USA: United States Department of Agriculture Foreign Agricultural Service; 2016.
- National Bureau of Statistics of the People's Republic of China. Beijing, China: Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development; 2016.
- Wang SQ, Chang Q, Li BL, Wang Y. Empirical analysis on international competitiveness and export influencing factors of Chinsese beef: Based on the background of trade liberalization. J China Agric Univ 2016;21:166-78.
- China National Commission of Animal Genetic Resource. Animal Genetic Resources in China: Bovines. Beijing, China: Chinese Agriculture Press; 2012.
- Scott W, Wang JM, Zhang HJ, Dong XX, Wang ML. The Chinese beef cattle industry. The Chinese Beef Industry. In: Regional Workshop on Beef Markets and Trade in Southeast Asian and China, Nov 30 - Dec 3; Ben Tre, Vietnam; 2015.
- National Animal Husbandry Service (1996-2016), Chinese Animal Husbandry Yearbook. Beijing, China: Chinese Agriculture Press; 2016.
- Analysis of market status of global beef industry in 2016 [Internet]. Bejing, China: Chanye Xinxi Wang; 2016 [Cited 2016 Sep 28]. Available from Http://www.chyxx.com/industry/201606/424514.html
- Wang GZ, Hua LM, Niu YJ, Liu L, Ma SJ. Current status of beef and mutton production in China and the supply and demand forecast in the next five year. Grassl Turf 2016;36:44-52.
- China beef supply and demand market situation and import and export analysis in 2015 [Interenet]. Beijing, China: Chinabaogao; 2016 [Cited 2016 Sep 20] Available from: http://market.chinabaogao.com/shipin/12292635212016.html
- National beef and mutton production development plan (2013-2020). Bejing, China: China National Development and Reform Commission; 2013.
- China and global beef markets [Internet]. Feedlot; 2016 [Cited 2016 Oct 1]. Available from: http://feedlotmagazine.com/chinaand-global-beef-markets/
- Han XP, Hubbert B, Hubbert ME, Reinhardt CD. Overview of the beef cattle industry in China: The widening deficit between demand and output in a vicious circle. J Fisheries Livest Prod 2016;4:3.