- Volume 31 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Current situation and future prospects for beef cattle production in Indonesia - A review
- Agus, Ali (Faculty of Animal Science, Universitas Gadjah Mada) ;
- Widi, Tri Satya Mastuti (Faculty of Animal Science, Universitas Gadjah Mada)
- Received : 2018.03.21
- Accepted : 2018.05.27
- Published : 2018.07.01
Increasing demand in developing countries for animal sources of food including red meat is predicted to double by 2050. In Indonesia, there has always been a gap between supply and demand of beef with national beef production only satisfying about 45% of demand. This paper aims to describe the current features and prospects for beef production systems in Indonesia. The first part of the article reviews and analyses Indonesian beef cattle production systems. The second part addresses issues related to the current systems for beef production that could become important for future development of the beef industry in Indonesia. Recommendations to improve breeding and reproduction, to empower smallholder farmers, to improve the capacity of industry-related institutions to enhance technology transfer, and to develop systems for industry development such as integration of palm oil or plantations with beef cattle production are briefly discussed.
- Delgado C, Rosegrant M, Steinfeld H, Ehui S, Courbuis C. Livestock to 2020: the next food revolution. Outlook on Agric 2001;30:27-9. https://doi.org/10.5367/000000001101293427
- Widi TSM. Mapping the impact of crossbreeding in smallholder farming systems in Indonesia [PhD Thesis]. Wageningen, the Netherlands: Wageningen University; 2015.
- Sullivan GM, Diwyanto K. A value chain assessment of the livestock sector in Indonesia. Washington, DC, USA: United States Agency for International Development; 2007.
- Market snapshot of beef in Indonesia [internet]. North Sydney NSW, Australia: Meat and Livestock Australia; 2017 [cited 2018 Feb 20]. Available from: http://www.mla.com.au
- Kementerian Pertanian. Livestock statistics. Jakarta, Indonesia: Kementrian Pertanian Republik Indonesia; 2017.
- Agus A, Budisatria IGS, Ngadiyono N, et al. Road map of beef cattle industry in Indonesia. Yogyakarta, Indonesia: APFINDO and Faculty of Animal Science, Universitas Gadjah Mada; 2014.
- Biro Pusat Statistik. Indonesian statistical data [internet]. Jakarta, Indonesia: Biro Pusat Statistik; 2015 [cited 2017 Nov 18]. Available from: https://www.bps.go.id
- Moss J, Morley P, Baker D, Al Moadhen H, Downie R. Improving methods for estimating livestock production and productivity. University of New England; 2016 Technical Report Series No: GO-11-2016.
- Monitoring system for prices of main needs. [internet]. Jakarta, Indonesia: Kementrian Perdagangan Republik Indonesia; 2017 [cited 2017 Nov 18]. Available from: https://ews.kemendag.go.id
- Widi TSM. Livestock sharing arrangements in the Province of Yogyakarta special region; perspectives from different stakeholders [Master Thesis]. Wageningen, the Netherlands: Wageningen University; 2004.
- Handayani S, Fariyanti A, Nurmalina R. Simulation analysis for prediction of beef meat self-sufficiency in Indonesia. Indonesia. J Sosiohumaniora 2016;18:61-70.
- Djajanegara A, Diwyanto K. Development strategies for genetic evaluation of beef production in Indonesia. In: Proceedings of ACIAR Workshop 2001; 2001 July 23-28; Khon Kaen, Thailand: ACIAR; 2001. pp. 40-7.
- Priyanti A, Hanifah VW, Mahendri IGAP, Cahyadi F, Cramb RA. Small-scale beef cattle production in East Java. In: Proceedings of the Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society Annual Conference 2012; 2012 Feb 7-10; Fremantle, Western Australia: AARES; 2012. pp. 1-22.
- Anderson S. Animal genetic resources and sustainable livelihoods. Ecol Econ 2003;45:331-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-8009(03)00088-0
- Moll HAJ, Staal SJ, Ibrahim MNM. Smallholder dairy production and markets: a comparison of production systems in Zambia, Kenya and Sri Lanka. Agric Syst 2007;94:593-603. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agsy.2007.02.005
- Agus A. Ruminant nutrition: the role of agricultural by products in beef cattle production. In: Proceedings of International Seminar "Improving Tropical Animal production for Food Security" 2015; 2015 Nov 3-5; Kendari: Southeast Sulawesi, Indonesia; 2015. pp. 1-5.
- Bakrie B, Hogan J, Liang JB, Tareque AMM, Upadhyay RC. Ruminant nutrition and production in the tropics and sub tropics. Canberra, Australia: Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research; 1996.
- Minister of Agriculture launches a program of 'a cow has to be pregnant' (UPSUS SIWAB). [internet]. Jakarta, Indonesia: Directorate General of Livestock and Animal Health; 2016 [cited 2018 May]. Available from: http://www.pertanian.go.id/ap_posts/detil/672/2016/10/08/22/36/43/Mentan%20Luncurkan%20UPSUS%20SIWAB%20-Sapi%20Indukan%20Wajib%20Bunting-
- Rusdiana S, Soeharsono. UPSUS SIWAB Program for increasing beef cattle population and economical value of livestock enterprise. Forum Penelitian Agro Ekonomi 2017;35:125-37.
- Artificial Insemination for UPSUS SIWAB reached target of 92,27% [internet]. Jakarta, Indonesia: Trobos; 2017 [cited 2018 May]. Available from: http://www.trobos.com/detailberita/2017/12/12/57/9623/target-ib-upsus-siwab-tercapai-9227
- Bebe BO, Udo HMJ, Thorpe W. Development of smallholder dairy systems in the Kenya highlands. Outlook Agric 2002;31:113-20. https://doi.org/10.5367/000000002101293958
- Udo HMJ, Aklilu HA, Phong LT, et al. Impact of intensification of different types of livestock production in smallholder crop-livestock systems. Livest Sci 2011;139:22-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2011.03.020
- Devendra C, Leng RA. Feed resources for animals in Asia: issues, strategies for use, intensification and integration for increased productivity. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2011;24:303-21. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2011.r.05
- Widi TSM, Yuwanta T, Agus A, Pertiwiningrum A. Roadmap for beef cattle development in Yogyakarta Province. Yogyakarta, Indonesia: Ardana Media; 2008.
- Ilham N, Saliem HP. Financial feasibility of palm-oil plantation and cattle integrated system through credit scheme for cattle breeding. J Analisis Kebijakan Pertanian 2011;9:349-69.
- Utomo BN, Widjaja E. Beef cattle development based on palm oil plantation industry. J Litbang Pert 2012;31:153-61.
- Bijman J, Ton G, Meijerink G. Empowering smallholder farmers in markets: national and international policy initiatives. Wageningen, the Netherlands: Wageningen University and Research Centre; 2007.
- De Haan C, Steinfeld H. Livestock and environment: finding a balance. FAO Report. Rome, Italy: Food and Agricultural Organization; 1996.
- Sere C, Steinfeld H. World livestock production systems: current status, issues and trends. FAO Animal Production and Health Paper. Rome, Italy: Food and Agricultural Organization; 1995.
- Devendra C. Perspectives on animal production systems in Asia. Livest Sci 2007;106:1-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2006.05.005
- FAO. Mixed crop-livestock farming: A review of traditional technologies based on literature and field experiences. FAO Animal Production and Health Paper. Vol. 152. Rome, Italy: Food and Agricultural Organization; 2001.
- Wongnen C, Wachirapakorn C, Patipan D, et al. Effects of fermented total mixed ration and cracked cottonseed on milk yield and milk composition in dairy cows. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2009;22:1625-32. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2009.80668
- Kebede G, Assefa G, Feyissa F, Mengistu A. Forages-legumes in crop-livestock mixed farming systems: a review. Int J Livest Res 2016;6:1-18.