- Volume 31 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Current situation and future prospects for beef production in South Korea - A review
- Chung, Ki Yong (Hanwoo Research Institute, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Lee, Seung Hwan (Division of Animal & Daily Science, Chungnam National University) ;
- Cho, Soo Hyun (Division of Animal Production, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Kwon, Eung Gi (Hanwoo Research Institute, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Lee, Jun Heon (Division of Animal & Daily Science, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2018.03.07
- Accepted : 2018.05.07
- Published : 2018.07.01
Hanwoo cattle are an important food source in Korea and their supply can have a major impact on meat availability for Korean consumers. The Hanwoo population was 1.8 million head in 2005 and gradually increased to 2.6 million in 2015. Per capita beef consumption has also increased, to 11.6 kg per year in 2015, and is expected to continue to increase. Because intramuscular fat percentage is a critical contributor to meat quality, Hanwoo cattle are fed a high-energy corn-based diet for long fattening periods. Long fed diet causes significant alterations in fat percentage in the loin muscle and other areas of the carcass. However, these long feeding periods increase feeding costs and beef prices. Recently, there has been increased Korean consumer demand for lean beef which has less fat, but is tender and priced more reasonably. These consumer demands on the Korean beef industry are driving differing beef production systems and also changes to the beef grading methodology. Korean government has made a significant investment to select bulls with favorable production traits using progeny testing. Progeny tested bull semen has been disseminated to all Hanwoo farmers. A beef traceability system has been employed for all cattle breeds in Korea since 2009. Hanwoo cattle are ear-marked with a 12-digit identification number from birth to slaughter. This number allows traceability of the management history of individual cattle, and also provides information to consumers. Traceability including management information such as herd, farm, year of birth, and carcass data can determine estimated breeding values of Hanwoo. For a sustainable Hanwoo industry, research scientists in Korea have attempted to develop feeds for efficient fattening periods and precision feeding systems based on genetic information for Hanwoo cattle. These initiatives aim to Korean consumer demands for beef and provide more precision management in beef production in Korea.
Grant : Cooperative Research Program for Agriculture Science & Technology Development
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- Korean Statistical Information Service (KOSIS). Farm households by size of raising Korean beef cattle/total head [Internet]. Daejeon, Korea: Korean Statistical Information Service; 2017 [cited 2018 Jan 18]. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/2/1/index.board?bmode=read&bSeq=&aSeq=365979&pageNo=1&rowNum=10&navCount=10&currPg=&sTarget=title&sTxt=
- Lee SH, Park BH, Sharma A, et al. Hanwoo cattle: origin, domestication, breeding strategies and genomic selection. J Anim Sci Technol (Kor) 2014;56:2. https://doi.org/10.1186/2055-0391-56-2
- Han SW. The breed of cattles. Seoul, Korea: Sun-Jin publishing; 1996. p. 148-60.
- Yoon DH, Park EW, Lee SH, et al. Assessment of genetic diversity and relationships between Korean cattle and other cattle breeds by microsatellite loci. J Anim Sci Technol (Kor) 2005;47:341-54. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2005.47.3.341
- McTavish EJ, Decker JE, Schnabel RD, Taylor JF, Hillis DM. New world cattle show ancestry from multiple independent domestication events. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2013;110:E1398-406. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1303367110
- Mannen H, Kohno M, Nagata Y, et al. Independent mitochondrial origin and historical genetic differentiation in North Eastern Asian cattle. Mol Phylogenet Evol 2004;32:539-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ympev.2004.01.010
- Korean Instititue for Animal Products Quality Evaluation [Internet]. Sejong, Korea: KAPE: Annual Report for Animal Products Research. (Kor); 2016 [cited 2016 Mar 7]. Available from: http://www.ekapepia.com/home/homeIndex.do
- Park B, Choi T, Kim S, Oh SH. National genetic evaluation (system) of Hanwoo (Korean native cattle). Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2013;26:151-6. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2012.12439
- Meuwissen TH, Hayes BJ, Goddard ME. Prediction of total genetic value using genome-wide dense marker maps. Genetics 2001;157:1819-29.
- Jo C, Cho SH, Chang J, Nam KC. Keys to production and processing of Hanwoo beef: a perspective of tradition and science. Anim Front 2012;2:32-8.
- Cho SH, Park BY, Kim JH, et al. Fatty acid profiles and sensory properties of Lonsissimus dorsi, Triceps brachii, and Semimembranosus muscles from Korean Hanwoo and Australian Angus beef. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2005;18:1786-93. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.1786
- Cho SH, Kim J, Park BY, et al. Assessment of meat quality properties and development of a palatability prediction model for Korean Hanwoo steer beef. Meat Sci 2010;86:236-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.05.011
- Chung KY, Lunt DK, Choi CB, et al. Lipid characteristics of subcutaneous adipose tissue and M. lomgissimus thoracis of Angus and Wagyu steers fed to US and Japanes endpoints. Meat Sci 2006;73:432-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.01.002
- Greenwood PL, Siddell J, Walmsley BJ, et al. Post-weaning substitution of grazed forage with a high-energy concentrate has variable long-term effects on subcutaneous fat depths and marbling in Bos taurus genotypes. J Anim Sci 2015;93:4132-43. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2015-8962
- Chung KY, Lunt DK, Kawachi H, Yano H, Smith SB. Lipogenesis and stearoyl-CoA desaturase gene expression and enzyme activity in adipose tissue of short- and long-fed Angus and Wagyu steers fed corn- or hay-based diets. J Anim Sci 2007;85:380-7. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-087
- Gilmore LA, Crouse SF, Carbuhn A, et al. Exercise attenuates the increase in plasma monounsaturated fatty acids and highdensity lipoprotein but not high-density lipoprotein 2b cholesterol caused by high-oleic ground beef in women. Nutr Res 2013;33:1003-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nutres.2013.09.003
- Crouse JD, Cundiff RM, Koch M, Koohmaraie T, Seideman SC. Comparisons of Bos indicus and Bos taurus in heritance for carcass beef characteristics and meat palatability. J Anim Sci 1989;67:2661-8. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1989.67102661x
- Kim KH, Lee JH, Oh YG, et al. The optional TDN levels of concentrates and slaughter age in Hanwoo steers. J Anim Sci Technol (Kor) 2005;47:731-44. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2005.47.5.731
- Lim DH, Han HK, Kim JH, et al. Annual report for livestock animal research. Suwon, Korea: National Institute of Animal Science; 2013. Report No.: 11-1390906-000217-10.
- Dolezal HG, Smith GC, Savell JW, Carpenter ZL. Effect of time on feed on the palatability of rib steak from steers and heifer. J Food Sci 1982;47:368-73. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1982.tb10083.x
- Zinn DW, Gaskins CT, Gann GL, Hedrick HB. Beef muscle tenderness and influenced by days of feed, sex, maturity and anatomical location. J Anim Sci 1970;31:307-18. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1970.312307x
- Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries (MFAFF). Processing standard for meat products act, Grading, fabrication and cutting of beef carcass. Seoul, Korea: Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forest and Fisheries; 2007. p. 82.
- Chung KY, Chang SS, Lee EM, et al. Effects of high energy diet on growth performance, carcass characteristics, and blood constituents of final fattening Hanwoo steers. CNU J Agric Sci (Kor) 2015;42:261-8.
- Hong SK, Baek BH, Kang SH, Cho WM. Effects of restricted feeding and market weights on the carcass characteristics of Hanwoo steers. Korean J Anim Sci 1996;38:215-30.
- Chung KY, Lee SH, Chang SS, et al. Effects of high energy diet on growth performance, carcass characteristics, and blood constituents of Hanwoo steers distributed by estimated breeding value for meat quality. CNU J Agric Sci (Kor) 2015;42:361-8.
- National Institute of Animal Science (NIAS). Meat buyers guide for Hanwoo beef. Suwon, Korea: National Institute of Animal Science (NIAS); 2016.
- National Livestock Cooperatives Federation (NLCF). Korean carcass grading standard. Seoul, Korea: National Livestock Cooperatives Federation; 1998.
- Lee SH, Kim UH, Dang CG, et al. Strategies to multiply elite cow in Hanwoo small farm. J Embryo Transf 2013;28:79-85. https://doi.org/10.12750/JET.2013.28.2.79
- Kang DH, Ki KS, Jang SS, et al. Effect of potato byproduct on growth performance, blood metabolites, and carcass characteristic of Hanwoo steers. CNU J Agric Sci (Kor) 2017;44:574-85.
- Comparison of reducing sugar content, sensory traits, and fatty acids and volatile compound profiles of the longissimus thoracis among Korean cattle, Holsteins, and Angus steers vol.32, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.18.0065
- Nutrient composition and in vitro fermentability of corn grain and stover harvested at different periods in Goesan, a mountainous area vol.61, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.5187/jast.2019.61.1.18