- Volume 14 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Experimental study on a new damping device for mitigation of structural vibrations under harmonic excitation
- Alih, Sophia C. (Institute of Noise and Vibration, Faculty of Civil Engineering, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia) ;
- Vafaei, Mohammadreza (Faculty of Civil Engineering, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia) ;
- Ismail, Nufail (Faculty of Civil Engineering, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia) ;
- Pabarja, Ali (Department of Civil and Structural Engineering, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia)
- Received : 2017.05.27
- Accepted : 2018.04.13
- Published : 2018.06.25
This manuscript introduces a new damping device which is composed of a water tank and a pendulum. The new damping device can be tuned to multiple frequencies. In addition, it has a higher energy dissipation capacity when compared with the conventional Tuned Liquid Dampers (TLDs). In order to evaluate the efficiency of this new damping device a series of free vibration and forced vibration tests were conducted on a scaled down single-story one-bay steel frame. Two different configurations were studied for the mass of the pendulum that included a completely and a partially submerged mass. It was observed that the completely submerged configuration led to 44% higher damping ratio when compared with the conventional TLD. In addition, the completely submerged configuration reduced the peak displacement response of the structure 1.6 times more than the conventional TLD. The peak acceleration response of the structure equipped with the new damping device was reduced twice more than the conventional TLD. It was also found that, when the excitation frequency is lower than the resonance frequency, the conventional TLD performs better than the partially submerged configuration of the new damping device.
Supported by : Ministry of Science and Technology
- ASCE (2013), Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures SEI/ASCE 7-10, American Society of Civil Engineers, Washington DC, USA.
- Ashasi-Sorkhabi, A., Malekghasemi, H., Ghaemmaghami, A. and Mercan, O. (2017), "Experimental investigations of tuned liquid damper-structure interactions in resonance considering multiple parameters", J. Sound Vib., 388, 141-153. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2016.10.036
- Behbahani, H.P., bin Adnan, A., Vafaei, M., Pheng, O.P. and Shad, H. (2017), "Effects of TLCD with maneuverable flaps on vibration control of a SDOF structure", Meccanica, 52(6), 1247-1256. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11012-016-0473-4
- Behbahani, H.P., bin Adnan, A., Vafaei, M., Shad, H. and Pheng, O.P. (2017), "Vibration mitigation of structures through TLCD with embedded baffles", Exper. Techniq., 41(2), 139-151. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40799-016-0163-0
- Cassolato, M.R., Love, J.S. and Tait, M.J. (2011), "Modelling of a tuned liquid damper with inclined damping screens", Struct. Control Hlth. Monit., 18(6), 674-681. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.397
- Chen, J.L. and Georgakis, C.T. (2015), "Spherical tuned liquid damper for vibration control in wind turbines", J.Vib. Control, 21(10), 1875-1885. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077546313495911
- Fediw, A. (1992), "Performance of a one dimensional tuned sloshing water damper", Master Thesis, University of Western Ontario, London, Canada.
- Housner, G.W. (1963), "The dynamic behavior of water tanks", Bulletin of the seismological society of America, 53(2), 381-387.
- Jin, H., Liu, Y. and Li, H.J. (2014), "Experimental study on sloshing in a tank with an inner horizontal perforated plate", Ocean Engineering, 82, 75-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2014.02.024
- Jin, Q., Li, X., Sun, N., Zhou, J. and Guan, J. (2007), "Experimental and numerical study on tuned liquid dampers for controlling earthquake response of jacket offshore platform", Marine Struct., 20(4), 238-254. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marstruc.2007.05.002
- Kim, Y.M., You, K.P., Cho, J.E. and Hong, D.P. (2006), "The vibration performance experiment of tuned liquid damper and tuned liquid column damper", J. Mech. Sci. Technol., 20(6), 795-805. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02915943
- Koh, C.G., Mahatma, S. and Wang, C.M. (1995), "Reduction of structural vibrations by multiple-mode liquid dampers", Eng. Struct., 17(2), 122-128. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0296(95)92643-M
- Ruiz, R.O., Lopez-Garcia, D. and Taflanidis, A.A. (2016), "Modeling and experimental validation of a new type of tuned liquid damper", Acta Mechanica, 227(11), 3275-3294. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00707-015-1536-7
- Ruiz, R.O., Taflanidis, A.A. and Lopez-Garcia, D. (2016), "Characterization and design of tuned liquid dampers with floating roof considering arbitrary tank cross-sections", J. Sound Vib., 368, 36-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2016.01.014
- Saha, S. and Debbarma, R. (2017), "An experimental study on response control of structures using multiple tuned liquid dampers under dynamic loading", Int. J. Adv. Struct. Eng., 9(1), 27-35. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40091-016-0146-5
- Shad, H., bin Adnan, A., Behbahani, H.P. and Vafaei, M. (2016), "Efficiency of TLDs with bottom-mounted baffles in suppression of structural responses when subjected to harmonic excitations", Struct. Eng. Mech., 60(1), 131-148. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2016.60.1.131
- Shad, H., bin Adnan, A., Vafaei, M., Behbahani, H.P., Oladimeji, A.M. (2018), "Experimental study on TLDs equipped with an upper mounted baffle", Smart Struct. Syst., 21(1), 37-51. https://doi.org/10.12989/SSS.2018.21.1.037
- Soliman, I.M., Tait, M.J. and El Damatty, A.A. (2017), "Modeling and analysis of a structure semi-active tuned liquid damper system", Struct. Control Hlth. Monit., 24(2), https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.1865. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.1865
- Sun, L.M. and Fujino, Y. (1994), "A semi-analytical model for tuned liquid damper (TLD) with wave breaking", J. Fluid. Struct., 8(5), 471-488. https://doi.org/10.1006/jfls.1994.1023
- Sun, L.M., Fujino, Y., Chaiseri, P. and Pacheco, B.M. (1995), "The properties of tuned liquid dampers using a TMD analogy", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 24(7), 967-976. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290240704
- Tait, M.J., Isyumov, N. and El Damatty, A.A. (2008), "Performance of tuned liquid dampers", J. Eng. Mech., 134(5), 417-427. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2008)134:5(417)
- Tamura, Y., Fujii, K., Ohtsuki, T., Wakahara, T. and Kohsaka, R. (1995), "Effectiveness of tuned liquid dampers under wind excitation", Eng. Struct., 17(9), 609-621. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0296(95)00031-2
- Xue, M.A., Zheng, J., Lin, P. and Yuan, X. (2017), "Experimental study on vertical baffles of different configurations in suppressing sloshing pressure", Ocean Eng., 136, 178-189. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2017.03.031
- Yalla, S.K. and Kareem, A. (2001), "Beat phenomenon in combined structure-liquid damper systems", Eng. Struct., 23(6), 622-630. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(00)00085-7
- Yang, D.H., Shin, J.H., Lee, H., Kim, S.K. and Kwak, M.K. (2016), "Active vibration control of structure by active mass damper and multi-modal negative acceleration feedback control algorithm", J. Sound Vib., 392, 18-30.
- Zahrai, S.M., Abbasi, S., Samali, B. and Vrcelj, Z. (2012), "Experimental investigation of utilizing TLD with baffles in a scaled down 5-story benchmark building", J. Fluid. Struct., 28, 194-210. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2011.08.016
- Zhang, B.L., Liu, Y.J., Han, Q.L. and Tang, G.Y. (2016), "Optimal tracking control with feedforward compensation for offshore steel jacket platforms with active mass damper mechanisms", J. Vib. Control, 22(3), 695-709. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077546314532117
- Zhao, Z. and Fujino, Y. (1993), "Numerical simulation and experimental study of deeper-water TLD in the presence of screens", J. Struct. Eng., 39, 699-711.