- Volume 29 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Response Surface Modeling for the Adsorption of Dye Eosin Y by Activated Carbon Prepared from Waste Citrus Peel
폐감귤박으로 만든 활성탄을 이용한 염료 Eosin Y 흡착에서 반응표면 모델링
- Received : 2017.12.27
- Accepted : 2018.02.11
- Published : 2018.06.10
The adsorption of Eosin Y by the activated carbon (WCAC) prepared from waste citrus peel was investigated by using response surface methodology (RSM) and Box-Behnken design (BBD) statistical procedures. Experiments were carried out as per BBD with three input parameters, the Eosin Y concentration (Conc. : 30~50 mg/L), the solution temperature (Temp. : 293~313 K), and the adsorbent dose (Dose : 0.05~0.15 g/L). Regression analysis showed a good fit of the experimental data to the second-order polynomial model with coefficients of the determination (
adsorption;eosin Y;activated carbon;citrus peel waste;response surface methodology
- S. S. Azhar, A. G. Liew, D. Suhardy, K. F. Hafiz, and M. D. I. Hatim, Dye removal from aqueous solution by using adsorption on treated sugarcane bagasse, Am. J. Appl. Sci., 2, 1499-1503 (2005). https://doi.org/10.3844/ajassp.2005.1499.1503
- G. Crini, Non-conventional low-cost adsorbents for dye removal: A review, Bioresour. Technol., 97, 1061-1085 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2005.05.001
- C. Namasivayam, N. Muniasamy, K. Gayatri, M. Rani, and K. Ranganathan, Removal of dyes from aqueous solutions by cellulo- sic waste orange peel, Bioresour. Technol., 57, 37-43 (1996). https://doi.org/10.1016/0960-8524(96)00044-2
- M. Arami, N. Y. Limaee, N. M. Mahmoodi, and N. S. Tabrizi, Removal of dyes from colored textile wastewater by orange peel adsorbent: Equilibrium and kinetic studies, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 288, 371-376 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2005.03.020
- V. Gomez, M. S. Larrechi, and M. P. Callao, Kinetic and adsorp- tion study of acid dye removal using activated carbon, Chemosphere, 69, 1151-1158 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2007.03.076
- R. Ahmad, Studies on adsorption of crystal violet dye from aqueous solution onto coniferous pinus bark powder (CPBP), J. Hazard. Mater., 171, 767-773 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2009.06.060
- T. Anitha, K. P. Senthil, and K. K. Sathish, Synthesis of nano-sized chitosan blended polyvinyl alcohol for the removal of eosin yellow dye from aqueous solution, J. Water Process Eng., 13, 127-136 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jwpe.2016.08.003
- M. G. Lee, S. K. Kam, and K. H. Suh, Adsorption of non-degrad- able eosin Y by activated carbon, J. Environ. Sci. Int., 21, 623-631 (2012). https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2012.21.5.623
- S. Budavari, The Merck Index, 11th ed., Merck & Co., 564, NJ, USA (1996).
- S. H. Jang and E. H. Kim, A fundamental study color removal of dyeing wastewater using low cost adsorbents, Korean J. Sanit., 14, 40-45 (1999).
- Y. S. Ho and G. Mckay, Batch lead (II) removal from aqueous solution by peat: Equilibrium and kinetics, Process Saf. Environ. Prot., 77, 165-173 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1205/095758299529983
- S. Elemen, E. P. Akcakoca Kumbasar, and S. Yapar, Modeling the adsorption of textile dye on organoclay using an artificial neural network, Dyes Pigm., 95, 102-111 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dyepig.2012.03.001
- S. Nawaz, H. N. Bhatti, T. H. Bokhari, and S. Sadaf, Removal of novacron golden yellow dye from aqueous solutions by low-cost agricultural waste: batch and fixed bed study, Chem. Ecol., 30, 52-65 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1080/02757540.2013.841898
- M. Ozacar and I. A. Sengil, Adsorption of metal complex dyes from aqueous solutions by pine sawdust, Bioresour. Technol., 96, 791-795 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2004.07.011
- K. S. Low and C. K. Lee, Quaternized rice husk as sorbent for reactive dyes, Bioresour. Technol., 61, 121-125 (1997). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(97)00054-0
- L. Borah, M. Goswami, and P. Phukan, Adsorption of methylene blue and eosin yellow using porous carbon prepared from tea waste: Adsorption equilibrium, kinetics and thermodynamics study, J. Environ. Chem. Eng., 3, 1018-1028 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jece.2015.02.013
- M. R. Mafra, L. Igarashi-Mafra, L. Zuim, E. C. Vasques, and M. A. Ferreira, Adsorption of remazol brilliant blue on an orange peel adsorbent, Braz. J. Chem. Eng., 30, 657-665 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1590/S0104-66322013000300022
- S. K. Ponnusamy, R. Subramaniam, and S. Kannaiyan, Removal of methylene blue dye from aqueous solution by activated carvon prepared from cashew nut shell as a new low cost adsorbent, Korean J. Chem. Eng., 28, 149-155 (2010).
- S. K. Kam, K. H. Kang, and M. G. Lee, Adsorption characteristics of activated carbon prepared from waste citrus peels by KOH activation, Appl. Chem. Eng., 28(6), 649-654 (2017). https://doi.org/10.14478/ACE.2017.1073
- S. K. Kam, K. H. Kang, and M. G. Lee, Adsorption characteristics of acetone, benzene, and metylmercaptan by activated carbon prepared from waste citrus peel, Appl. Chem. Eng., 28(6), 663-669 (2017). https://doi.org/10.14478/ACE.2017.1074
- S. K. Kam, K. H. Kang, and M. G. Lee, Adsorption characteristics of acetone, benzene, and metylmercaptan in the fixed bed reactor packed with activated carbon prepared from waste citrus peel, Appl. Chem. Eng., 29(1), 28-36 (2018). https://doi.org/10.14478/ACE.2017.1094
- M. K. Purkait, S. DasGupta, and S. De, Adsorption of eosin dye on activated carbon and its surfactant based desorption, J. Environ. Manage., 76, 135-142 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2005.01.012
- S. Lagergren, About the theory of so-called adsorption of soluble substances, Kunglia Svenska Vetenskapsakademiens Handlingar, 24, 1-39 (1898).
- I. Langmuir, The adsorption of gases on plane surface of glass, mica and platinum, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 40, 1361-140 (1918). https://doi.org/10.1021/ja02242a004
- H. M. F. Freundlich, Over the adsorption in solution, J. Phys. Chem., 57, 385-470 (1906).
- A. Demirbas, Agricultural based activated carbons for the removal of dyes from aqueous solutions: A review, J. Hazard. Mater., 167, 1-9 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2008.12.114
- R. Gong, X. Liu, M. Feng, J. Liang, W. Cai, and N. Li, Comparative study of methylene blue sorbed on crude and monosodium glutamate functionalized sawdust, J. Health Sci., 54, 623-628 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1248/jhs.54.623
- M. Hema and S. Arivoli, Comparative study on the adsorption kinetics and thermodynamics of dyes onto acid activated low cost carbon, Int. J. Phys. Sci., 2, 10-17 (2007).
- G. O. El-Sayed, Removal of methylene blue and crystal violet from aqueous solutions by palm kernel fiber, Desalination, 272, 225-232 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2011.01.025
- R. Gong, Y. Ding, M. Li, C. Yang, H. Liu, and Y. Sun, Utilization of powdered peanut hull as biosorbent for removal of anionic dyes from aqueous solution, Dyes Pigm., 64, 187-192 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dyepig.2004.05.005
- U. R. Lakshmi, V. C. Sreivastava, I. D. Mall, and D. H. Lataye, Rice husk ash as an effective adsorbent: evaluation of adsorptive characteristics for indigo carmine dye, J. Environ. Manage., 90, 710-720 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2008.01.002
- K. Porkodi and K. V. Kumar, Equilibrium, kinetics and mechanism modeling and simulation of basic and acid dyes sorption onto jute fiber carbon: Eosin yellow, malachite green, crystal violet single component systems, J. Hazard. Mater., 143, 311-327 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2006.09.029
- G. Annadurai, R. S. Juang, and D. J. Lee, Use of cellulose-based wastes for adsorption of dyes from aqueous solutions, J. Hazard. Mater., 92, 263-274 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3894(02)00017-1
- R. Sivaraj, C. Namasivayam, and K. Kadirvelu, Orange peel as an adsorbent in the removal of Acid Violet 17 (acid dye) from aqueous solutions, Waste Manag., 21, 105-110 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0956-053X(00)00076-3