- Volume 54 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Reproduction characteristics of hagfish Eptatretus burgeri in the South Sea of Korea
한국 남해에 출현하는 먹장어 Eptatretus burgeri의 재생산 특성
- KIM, Doo-Nam (Distant Water Fisheries Resources Research Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- HWANG, Kang-Seok (Jeju Fisheries Research Institute, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- CHA, Hyung-Kee (Coastal Water Fisheries Resources Research Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- PARK, Jun-Su (Fisheries Resources Research Center, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- KIM, Jung-Nyun (Fisheries Resources Research Center, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- MOON, Seong-Yong (Fisheries Resources Research Center, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- LEE, Jeong-Hoon (Dokdo Fisheries Research Center, National Institute of Fisheries Science)
- 김두남 (국립수산과학원 원양자원과) ;
- 황강석 (국립수산과학원 제주수산연구소) ;
- 차형기 (국립수산과학원 연근해자원과) ;
- 박준수 (국립수산과학원 수산자원연구센터) ;
- 김정년 (국립수산과학원 수산자원연구센터) ;
- 문성용 (국립수산과학원 수산자원연구센터) ;
- 이정훈 (국립수산과학원 독도수산연구센터)
- Received : 2017.10.19
- Accepted : 2018.05.09
- Published : 2018.05.31
The reproduction characteristics of hagfish Eptatretus burgeri were examined using individuals caught in the South Sea of Korea. The spawning season and size at minimum sexual maturity of this species were characterized based on a gonad-somatic index (GSI) and monthly variation egg size (long axis). From monthly variation of GSI, the spawning season was estimated to be from August to September. Developing eggs larger than 10 mm were found in March, and the largest egg size was found in July. The first spawning length was 34.2 cm TL. Batch fecundity ranged from 13 to 117 eggs for hagfish sized from 34.2 cm TL to 77.0 cm TL, respectively, and increased linearly with total length.
Hagfish;First spawning length;Spawning season
Supported by : 국립수산과학원
- Harada M, Tokai T, Uchida K and Shimizu T. 2006. Distribution of white-spotted conger eel Conger myriaster and hagfish Eptatretus burgeri in the shallow region of Tokyo Bay. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 72, 894-904. (DOI:10.2331/suisan.72.894) https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.72.894
- Kim IS, Choi Y, Lee CY, Lee YJ, Kim BJ and Kim JH. 2005. Illustrated book of Korean Fishes. Kyohak Publishing Co. Ltd, 1-44.
- Kobayashi H, Ichikawa T, Suzuki H and Sekimoto M. 1972. Seasonal migration of the hagfish, Eptatretus burgeri. Jap J Ichthyol 19, 191-194. (DOI:10.2108/zsj.17.217) https://doi.org/10.2108/zsj.17.217
- Martini FH. 1998. The ecology of hagfishes. In J.M. Jorgensen, J.P. Lomholt, R.E. Weber, and H. Malte, eds. The biology of hagfishes. Chapman & Hall, London, 57-77.
- MOF. 2017. Fisheries Information Service, http://www.fips.go.kr/
- Nozaki M, Ichikawa T, Tsuneki K and Kobayashi H. 2000. Seasonal development of gonads of the hagfish, Eptatretus burgeri, correlated with their seasonal migration. Zool Sci 17, 225-232. (DOI:10.2108/zsj.17.225) https://doi.org/10.2108/zsj.17.225
- Okamura A, Utoh T, Zhang H, Yamada Y, Horie H, Mikawa N, Tanaka S, Motonobu T and Oka H. 2000. Seasonal changes in maturity in the conger eel Conger myriaster at the pacific coast of Atumi peninsula, central Japan. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 66, 412-416. (DOI:10.2331/suisan.66.412) https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.66.412
- Ota KG, Kuraku S and Kuratani S. 2007. Hagfish embryology with reference to the evolution of the neural crest. Nature 446, 672-675. (DOI:10.1038/nature05633) https://doi.org/10.1038/nature05633
- Spitzer RH and Koch EA. 1998. Hagfish skin and slime glands. In JM Jorgensen, JP Lomholt, RE Weber, and H Malte, eds. The biology of hagfishes. Champman & Hall, London., 109-132.
- Tsuneki K, Ouji M and Saito H. 1983. Seasonal migration and gonadal changes in the hagfish Eptatretus burgeri. Jap J Ichthyol 29, 429-440.
- Yuki Y, Ishida K and Yasugi S. 2003. The ecology of hagfish Eptatretus burgeri and the fisheries actual condition in the Japan Sea off Shimane Prefecture. Bull Shimane Pref Fish Expl Stn 11, 1-6.