- Volume 52 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Comparative Study of the Perceptions on Public Libraries between Librarians and Users: A Survey of the Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education Public Libraries
공공도서관에 대한 사서와 이용자 인식 비교 연구- 서울시교육청 소속 공공도서관을 대상으로 -
- Received : 2018.05.01
- Accepted : 2018.05.17
- Published : 2018.05.31
The purpose of this study was to provide basic information necessary for establishing library development plan and service direction by comparing and analyzing the perception of librarian and user's public library. For this purpose, a questionnaire survey was conducted with 270 librarians and 820 public users of the Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education Public Libraries regarding the current environment of the library, the role and status of the future library, and the library policy. The results showed librarians viewed the long history and accumulated information resources as strengths, while users had the highest satisfaction with human resources. As for the role of the public library and its future status, both librarians and users perceived reading and education as more important, confirming that the two groups had common expectations for public libraries. Yet the two groups had different perceptions about the policy for enhancing future library roles. Librarians suggested the needs for the improvement of old facilities and continuing education for librarians, users indicated the collections and enlargement of reading room as more important, which suggested the library policy development considering the difference of the perceptions between the two groups.
- Gang, Ju-Yeon et al. 2018. "A Study on the Users Perception about the Future of Libraries in the era of the 4th Industrial Revolution: Comparing with Librarians." Journal of the Korean Biblia Society for Library and Information Science, 29(1): 125-152. https://doi.org/10.14699/KBIBLIA.2018.29.1.125
- Lee, Jiyoung, Kim, Giyeong and Park, Young-sook. 2016. "A Study on the Categorization of Citizens' Information Needs." Journal of the Korean Society for Library and Information Science, 50(2): 245-269. https://doi.org/10.4275/KSLIS.2016.50.2.245
- Lee, Hee-soo and Kim, Giyeong. 2014. "Study on the Needs of Local Residents for Library Services Based on Community Characteristics: Focusing on Three Types of Local Communities." Journal of the Korean Society for Information Management, 31(1): 207-230. https://doi.org/10.3743/KOSIM.2014.31.1.207
- Jeon, Dong-Youl et al. 2008. The Middle-and Long-Term Development Plan of Public Libraries in Seoul. Seoul: Jungdok Public Library.
- Joeng, Mi-Yeon et al. 2013. "The Master Plan of Publick Library and Life Long Learning Center.2014-2018." The Research of Library, 30: 55-95.
- Choi, Kwon-Jung and Choi, Hyun-Jae. 2004. A Study on the Development Directions for Public Libraries in Seoul. Seoul: Seoul Development Institute.
- Cha, Mi-Kyeong and Pyo, Soon-Hee. 2008. "A Study on the Development of Enjoyment Indicators of Public Libraries." Journal of the Korean Society for Library and Information Science, 42(4): 329-354. https://doi.org/10.4275/KSLIS.2008.42.4.329
- Noh, Y. H. 2013. "Differing Perceptions of Public Librarians and Users in Assessing and Developing Korean Consumer Health." Reference and User Services Quarterly, 52(3): 231-242.
Involve, Dialogue by Design. 2013. Envisioning the Library of the Future Phase 3: Understanding What People Value about Libraries. London: Arts Council England. [online] [cited 2018. 3. 22.]
- Jochumsen, H., Rasmussen, C. H. and Skot-Hansen, D. 2011. "The Four Spaces: A New Model for the Public Library." New Library World, 113(11/12): 586-597.
- Mainka, A. et al. 2013. "Public Libraries in the Knowledge Society: Core Services of Libraries in Informational World Cities." Libri, 63(4): 295-319.
- Vakkari, P. et al. 2014. "Perceived Outcomes of Public Libraries in Finland, Norway and the Netherlands." Journal of Documentation, 70(5): 927-944. https://doi.org/10.1108/JD-06-2013-0072