- Volume 52 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Recognition of LIS Students about Public Library's Subject Special Services and Subject Special Librarian
공공도서관의 주제전문서비스와 주제전문사서에 대한 문헌정보학과 재학생 인식 조사
- Received : 2018.04.16
- Accepted : 2018.05.21
- Published : 2018.05.31
This study is a broad examination researchon LIS students' perception about public library's subject special services and subject special librarian. Students majoring in Library and Information Science as respondents, it examined the recognition level of subject special services and subject special librarian, cognition level of necessity, competencies of subject special librarians and students and opinions on special status system of subject psecial librarians. Main factors shown in the results include the the level of students' understanding and necessity of subject special services and subject special librarian, students' willingness to work as a subject special librarian, the willingness to put additional effort into equip themselves with competencies as subject special librarians. There were respondents who have equipped competencies as subject special librarians through courses provided by the department of Library and Information Science and school curriculum but have not done anything further. Respondents responded that there is a need to systematize special status system of subject special librarian and that subject specialty is important in implementing subject special services but that there is a lack of subject specialty. Based on the research results, this study suggests that there is a need to put more emphasis on developing curriculum that can help overcoming difficulties faced by students majoring in Information Sciecne and help them become competent subject special librarians.
Subject Special Services;Subject Special Librarian;LIS Students;Librarian Competencies;Public Library
- Kang, mia-hye. 2002. "A Study on the Assignment of the Subject Bibliography Course for the Education of the Subject Specialist Librarian." Journal of the Korean Society for Library and Information Science, 36(3): 49-68. https://doi.org/10.4275/KSLIS.2002.36.3.049
- Nam, Young-Joon and Heo, Oun-Soon. 2005. "A Study on the Curriculums of Library and Information Science for Subject Specialist." Journal of Korean Library and Information Science Society, 36(3): 39-64.
- Noh, Younghee. 2005. "A Study on Development and Utilization of Specialized Programs in Curriculum of Library and Information Science." Journal of the Korean Society for Library and Information Science, 39(1): 59-80. https://doi.org/10.4275/KSLIS.2005.39.1.059
- Park, Soo-Hee and Jeong, Dong-Youl. 2012. "A Study on Developing a Model of a Liaison Training Program for Academic Librarians in Korea." Journal of the Korean Society for Library and Information Science, 46(4): 311-339. https://doi.org/10.4275/KSLIS.2012.46.4.311
- Shim, Wonsik. 2009. "Curriculum Development of Training Librarians for Subject Liaison Service." Journal of Korean Library and Information Science Society, 40(1): 541-560. https://doi.org/10.16981/kliss.40.1.200903.541
- Ahn, In-Ja et al. 2009. "Competency Based Curriculum Development of Subject Specialist Librarians." Journal of the Korean Society for Library and Information Science, 43(1): 333-361. https://doi.org/10.4275/KSLIS.2009.43.1.333
- Oh, Eui-Kyung. 2016. "A Study on Improving Perception of Subject-Special Librarian and Subject-Special Services: Focusing on Survey Targeting Students Who Take 'Medical Terms and MeSH' and 'Health & Medical Information Sources'." Journal of the Korean Society for Library and Information Science, 50(1): 437-456. https://doi.org/10.4275/KSLIS.2016.50.1.437
- Yoon, Yung-Dai. 2003. "A Study of Education for Medical Librarianship." Journal of Korean Library and Information Science Society, 34(1): 131-146.
- Jeong, Dong-Youl. 2002. "A Study on the Role Model of Subject Specialization in Academic Libraries." Journal of the Korean Society for Library and Information Science, 36(3): 5-23. https://doi.org/10.4275/KSLIS.2002.36.3.005
- Korean Library Association. 2010. The Glossary of Library and Informationn Science. Seoul: Korean Library Association.
- Hong, myung-ja. 2001. "A Study on the Education of Specialized Law Librarian." Journal of Korean Library and Information Science Society, 32(3): 249-274.
- Hong, hee-kyeong. 2008. A Study on the Present Status and the Developmental Plans of the Specialization of the Public Libraries. M.A. thesis, Korea National University of Education.
- Michael Levine-Clark and Toni, M. C. 2014. ALA Glossary of Library and Information Science. Chicago, IL: American Library Association