- Volume 13 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Empowerment on Job Satisfaction for Physical Therapists in General Hospitals
종합병원 물리치료사의 임파워먼트가 직무만족에 미치는 영향
- Park, Sun-Wook (Department of Physical Therapy, Samsung Medical Center)
- 박선욱 (삼성서울병원 물리치료실)
- Received : 2018.04.17
- Accepted : 2018.04.21
- Published : 2018.05.31
PURPOSE: This study aimed to investigate the effect of empowerment on job satisfaction for physical therapists in general hospitals. METHODS: A total of 297 physical therapists working in general hospitals throughout the country participated in the study survey using self-administered questionnaires. The questionnaires comprised three major parts, i.e., questions about general characteristics, empowerment, and job satisfaction, which were rated using a 5-point Likert scale. Statistical analysis was performed to analyze the frequency and percentage of participants, and the independent t-test and analysis of variance were performed to determine the difference in job satisfaction according to the general characteristics. Stepwise multiple regression was used to evaluate the factors that affect job satisfaction. RESULTS: The average of total empowerment, including two subordinate concepts, was 3.29 points, that of psychological empowerment was 3.53 points, and that of structural empowerment was 3.05 points. The average job satisfaction of the participants was 3.43 points, and it showed a significant difference in age, overall work experience, current work experience, position, annual salary, and daily work hours. Moreover, job satisfaction increased as the subordinate factors for empowerment, i.e., support, resources, chance, and competence, increased. Other factors that affect job satisfaction were daily work hours, number of colleagues, type of work, annual salary, and therapeutic assistance. CONCLUSION: This study demonstrated that job satisfaction of physical therapists working in general hospitals was related to empowerment, thereby indicating that job satisfaction and work performance can be increased by improving their empowerment.
- Ahn SY, Kim WJ, Hur YB. Working conditions, job satisfaction and organizational commitment of physicla therapist. J Korean Phys Ther. 2002;14(4):233-44.
- Bae WS, Lee GC, Oh HW. Effects of the emotional suppression and burnout on the job satisfaction among physical therapists. J Korean Soc Phys Med. 2011;6(2):177-87.
- Chandler GE. The relationship of nursing work environment to empowerment and powerlessness. Dissertation Abstracts International. 1987;47(12):4822-B.
- Chang MS. the Impact of Empowerment on Job Involvement and Organizational Commitment of Physical Therapists who working at the hospital which established department of rehabilitation medicine. Master's Degree. Catholic university of Pusan. 2010.
- Cheon JK. A study on the service performance and job satisfaction of physical therapists. J Korean Phys Ther. 1991;3(3):9-38.
- Choi HK. The relationship between leadership style and empowerment on job satisfaction and job involvement of nurses. Master's Degree, Sookmyung Women's University. 2000.
- Goo BD. The effects of transformational leadership and patriarchal leadership on empowerment and organizational commitment. Doctor's Degree. Hankuk university of foreign studies. 1999.
- Goo OH. Clinical nurses's perception of empowerment structural model in nursing organization. Doctor's Degree. Chungnam university. 2000.
- Ha GG. A study on the improvement of working environments in social welfare organizations: focused on physical therapists. Master's Degree. Konkuk university. 2000.
- Hong MA. The relationship among demographical variables, career interest, and job satisfaction in physiotherapists. Master's Degree. Myongji university. 2002.
- Huh YB. Job stress of physical therapists and organizational effectiveness. Master's Degree. Inje University. 2002.
- Jeong J. Relationship of self-efficacy, empowerment and job satisfaction by dental hygienists. Master's Degree. Hanyang University. 2006.
- Kanter RM. Power failure in management circuits. Harv Bus Rev. 1979;57(4):65-75.
- Kim HH. Nurses perceptions of job-related empowerment, job satisfaction, organizational commitment and self efficacy. Master's Degree. Chungnam National University. 2005.
- Kim JG. A Study on the measurement and related variables of the job satisfaction. Korean J Ind Organ Psychol. 1988;1(1):55-78.
- Kim MH. A study on the job satisfaction and turnover intention of physical therapist. J Korean Phys Ther Sci. 2001;8(1):107-14.
- Kim YK, Choi MS, Jung KT, et al. A study on relation to empowerment of dental hygienist and immersion of duty and devotion of organization. Korea J Hosp Manage. 2003;8(4):76-110.
- Kirkman BL, Rosen B. Beyond self-management: Antecedents and consequences of team empowerment. Acad Manage J. 1999;42(1):58-74. https://doi.org/10.2307/256874
- Lee H, Song H, Kim H. The study work conditions and job satisfaction of physical therapist in Jeonnam east area. J Korean Phys Ther. 2005;17(17):80-95.
- Lee Sang M. The effect of job characteristics and personal factors on work stress, job satisfaction and turnover itention. J Korean Acad Nurs. 1995;25(4):790-806.
- McDermott D. Professional burnout and its relation to job characteristics, satisfaction, and control. J Hum Stress. 1984;10(2):79-85. https://doi.org/10.1080/0097840X.1984.9934962
- Nam KH, Park JH. A Study on the relationship of epowerment with job satisfaction and organizational commitment perceived by nurses. J Korean Acad Nurs Admin. 2002;8(1):137-50.
- Oh J. The Relationship between the empowerment and the job satisfaction of gastrointestinal endoscopy nurses. Master's Degree. Hanuang University, Seoul. 2007.
- Park HS, Choi MH. A Study on empowerment and job satisfaction, perceived by dental hygienist. Nursing Science Research Institute. Chungang university. 2003;7(2):67-76.
- Park JS, Park BN. The influence of empowerment on job satisfaction, task performance and turnover intention by hospital nurses. J Korean Acad Nurs Admin. 2008;14(2):150-8.
- Park SH, Jeong HS, Choi WH. A study on the job satisfaction of physical therapist’s in chungbuk. J Korean Phys Ther. 2002;14(4):214-23.
- Park YG, Park MJ. Job satisfaction and factors affecting to job satisfaction of physical therapists. J Korean Phys Ther. 1990;11(2):49-63.
- Shim J. A study on the effects of the social and psychological attributes of physical therapists on empowerment, job satisfaction and organizational commitment. Doctor's Degree. Hanyang University. 2009.
- Shim J, Cha T, Oh D. A study on empowerment, job satisfaction and organizational commitment perceived by clinical occupational therapists. J Korean Soc Occup Ther. 2009;17(3):111-20.
- Spreitzer GM. Psychological empowerment in the workplace: Dimensions, measurement, and validation. Acad manage J. 1995;38(5):1442-65.
- Thomas KW, Velthouse BA. Cognitive elements of empowerment: An “interpretive” model of intrinsic task motivation. Acad Manage Rev. 1990;15(4): 666-81. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.1990.4310926
- Uh KH, Yi CH. Job satisfaction and job understanding of physical therapists in korea. J Korean Phys Ther. 1986;7(2):53-63.
- Yang KM. Analysis of the relationship between the empowerment, the job-related individual characteristics and the work performance of nurses. J Korean Acad Nurs Admin. 1999;5(1):39-61.
- Yoo SO, Lee SY, Han SO, et al. Empowerment, performance and Job satisfaction Prceived by hospital nurses. J Korean Acad Nurs Admin. 2006;12(3):406-14.
- Yoon BS, Lee HJ. Mediating role of empowerment in the relations to job and organizational factors, and job satisfaction and organizational commitment empirical evidence from national university hospital employees. Journal of Prev Med Public Heal. Yebang Uihakhoechi. 2005;38(3):315-24.
- Yoon CG. A study on the job satisfaction of physical therapist. Master's Degree Hanyang university. 1991.