- Volume 51 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Long-term Effects of Chemical Fertilizer and Compost Applications on Yield of Red Pepper and Soil Chemical Properties
- Received : 2018.03.16
- Accepted : 2018.05.31
- Published : 2018.05.31
A field experiment was conducted to investigate the effect of long-term (21-year) fertilizer and compost treatments on the yield of red pepper and chemical properties in top-dong, Suwon. Six treatments were chosen for this work: No fertilization (No fert.), NPK fertilizers (NPK), NPK and compost (NPK+Compost), NP and compost (NP+Compost), NK and compost (NK+Compost), PK and compost (PK+Compost). The yield of red pepper for 21 years indicated the significant differences among the No fertilization, the PK+Compost, and other treatments. The relative yield index was 13% and 59% respectively, for the No fertilization and the PK+Compost if the average yield of red pepper for the NPK regards
Chemical fertilizer;Compost;Long-term application;Red pepper;Yield
- Chung, D.Y. and K.S. Lee. 2008. Role of chemical fertilizer and change of agriculture in Korea. J. Agric. Sci. Chungnam Nat'l Univ., Korea. 35(1):69-83.
- Jenkinson, D.S. 1989. The rothamsted long-term experiment: are they still of use? Agron. J. 83(1):2-10.
- Jeong, J.H., B.W. Sin, and C.H. Yoo. 2001. Effects of the successive application of organic matters on soil properties and rice yields. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 34(2):129-133.
- Kapkiyai, J.J., N.K. Karanja, J.N. Qureshi, P.C. Smithson, and P.L. Woomer. 1999. Soil organic matter and nutrient dynamics in a Kenyan nitisol under long-term fertilizer and organic input management. Soil Biol. Biochem. 31:1773-1782. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0038-0717(99)00088-7
- Kayser, M., M. Benke, and J. Isselstein. 2012. Potassium leaching following silage maize on productive sandy soil. Plant Soil Environ. 58:545-550. https://doi.org/10.17221/523/2012-PSE
- Kim, M.S., S.C. Kim, S.G. Yun, S.J. Park, and C.H. Lee. 2017. Change in available phosphate by application of phosphate fertilizer in long-term fertilization experiment for paddy soil. Korean J. Environ. Agric. 36(3):141-146. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2017.36.3.27
- Kim, M.S., Y.H. Km, S.S. Kang, H.B. Yun, and B.K. Hyun. 2012. Long-term application effects of fertilizers and amendments on changes soil organic carbon in paddy soil. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 45(6):1108-1113. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2012.45.6.1108
- Lee, C.H., T.J. Lim, S.S. Kang, M.S. Kim, and Y.H. Kim. 2012. Relationship between cucumber yield and nitrate concentration in plastic film house with ryegrass application. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 45(6):943-948. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2012.45.6.943
- Lee, S.B., C.H. Lee, C.O. Hong, S.Y. Kim, Y.B. Lee, and P.J. Kim. 2009. Effect of organic residue incorporation on salt activity in greenhouse soil. Korean J. Environ. Agric. 28(4):397-402. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2009.28.4.397
- Liu, E., C. Yan, X. Mei, W. He, S.H. Bing, L. Ding, Q. Liu, S. Liu, and T. Fan. 2010. Long-term effect of chemical fertilizer, straw, and manure on soil chemical and biological properties in northwest China. Geoderma. 158:173-180. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2010.04.029
- Lim, T.J., S.D. Hong, S.H. Kim, and J.M. Park. 2008. Evaluation of yield and quality from red pepper for application of pig slurry composting biofiltration. Korean J. Environ. Agric. 27:171-177. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2008.27.2.171
- NIAST. 2010. Method of soil and plant analysis. p. 61-124. National Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology. Rural Development Administration. Suwon, Korea.
- Shon, J.Y., J.H. Kim, S.G. Kang, S.H. Shin, K.B. Shim, W.H. Yang, and S.G. Heu. 2016. Effects of long-term fertilization on rice yield and soil chemical properties in the mid-plain of Korea. Korean J. Crop Sci. 61(1)25-32. https://doi.org/10.7740/kjcs.2016.61.1.025
- Sharpley, A.N. 1995. Dependence of runoff phosphorus on extractable soil phosphorus. J. Environ. Qual. 24(5):920-926.
- Yang, C.H., J.H. Jeong, T.K. Kim, S. Kim, N.H. Baek, W.Y. Choi, Y.D. Kim, W.K. Jung, and S.J. Kim. 2010. Effect of long-term annual dressing of organic matter on physic-chemical properties and nitrogen uptake in the paddy soil of fluvio-marine deposit. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 43(6):981-986.
- Yeon, B.Y., H.K. Kwak, Y.S. Song, H.J. Jun, and C.H. Kim. 2007. Changes in rice yield and soil properties under continued application of chemical fertilizer for 50 years in paddy soil. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 40(6):482-487.
- Zhang, J.B., T.B. Zhu, Z.C. Cai, S.W. Qin, and C. Muller. 2012. Effects of long-term repeated mineral and organic fertilizer application on soil nitrogen transformations. Eur. J. Soil Sci. 63:75-85. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2389.2011.01410.x
- Zhao, S., P. He, S. Qiu, L. Jia, M. Liu, J. Jin, and A.M. Johnston. 2014. Long-term effects of potassium fertilization and straw return on soil potassium levels and crop yields in north-central China. Field Crops Res. 169:116-122. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fcr.2014.09.017