- Volume 51 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effect of Ascorbate on the Arsenic Uptake, ROS-scavenging Capacity, and Antioxidant Homeostasis in Rice
- Received : 2018.03.12
- Accepted : 2018.05.10
- Published : 2018.05.31
Environmental pollution with arsenic (As) in croplands causes agricultural and health problems worldwide. Rice is an important crop in South Korea, and many studies have evaluated the relationship between As and glutathione (GSH) to alleviate As uptake from the soil into plants. However, information about the relationship between As and ascorbate (AsA) in rice seedlings is still limited with regard to As phytotoxicity. We therefore investigated changes in reactive oxygen species (ROS) and antioxidant levels in rice (Oryza sativa L. cv 'Dasan') seedlings with toxic As and/or AsA application. The exposure of rice seedlings to
Antioxidant homeostasis;Arsenic;Ascorbate;Reactive oxygen species (ROS);Rice
- Ahammed, G.J., S.P. Choudhary, S. Chen, X. Xia, K. Shi, Y. Zhou, and J. Yu. 2013. Role of brassinosteroids in alleviation of phenanthrene-cadmium co-contamination-induced photosynthetic inhibition and oxidative stress in tomato. J. Exp. Bot. 64:199-213. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/ers323
- Akram, N.A., F. Shafiq, and M. Ashraf. 2017. Ascorbic acid-a potential oxidant scavenger and its role in plant development and abiotic stress tolerance. Front. Plant Sci. 8:613. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2017.00613
- Buege, J.A. and S.D. Aust. 1978. Microsomal lipid peroxidation. Methods Enzymol. 52:302-310.
- Dave, R., R.D. Tripathi, S. Dwivedi, P. Tripathi, G. Dixit, Y.K. Sharma, P.K. Trivedi, F.J. Corpas, J.B. Barroso, and D. Chakrabarty. 2013. Arsenate and arsenite exposure modulate antioxidants and amino acids in contrasting arsenic accumulating rice (Oryza sativa L.) genotypes. J. Hazard. Mater. 15:1123-1131.
- Elstner, E.F. and A. Heupel. 1976. Inhibition of nitrite formation from hydroxylammonium-chloride: a simple assay for superoxide dismutase. Anal. Biochem. 70:616-620. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(76)90488-7
- Farooq, M.A., R.A. Gill, F. Islam, B. Ali, H. Liu, J. Xu, S. He, and W. Zhou. 2016. Methyl jasmonate regulates antioxidant defense and suppresses arsenic uptake in Brassica napus L. Front. Plant Sci. 7:468.
- Fergusson, J.E. 1990. The heavy elements: Chemistry, environmental impact and health effects. Pergamon Press.
- Foyer, C.H. and G. Noctor. 2011. Ascorbate and glutathione: the heart of the redox hub. Plant Physiol. 155:2-18. https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.110.167569
- Galiulin, R.V., V.N. Bashkin, R.R. Galiulina, and P. Birch. 2001. A critical review: Protection from pollution by heavy metals phytoremediation of industrial wastewater. Land Contam. Reclam. 9:349-358.
- Jan, A.T., M. Azam, K. Siddiqui, A. Ali, I. Choi, and Q.M. Haq. 2015. Heavy metals and human health: mechanistic insight into toxicity and counter defense system of antioxidants. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 16:29592-29630. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms161226183
- Jana, S. and M.A. Choudhuri. 1982. Glycolate metabolism of three submerged aquatic angiosperms during aging. Aquat. Bot. 12:345-354. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3770(82)90026-2
- Jung, H.I., B.R. Lee, M.J. Chae, M.S. Kong, C.H. Lee, S.S. Kang, and Y.H. Kim. 2017. Sulfur alleviates cadmium toxicity in rice (Oryza sativa L.) seedlings by altering antioxidant levels. J. Crop Sci. Biotech. 20(3):213-220. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12892-017-0072-0
- Jung, H.I., M.J. Chae, M.S. Kong, S.S. Kang, and Y.H. Kim. 2016. Effect of rice straw compost on cadmium transfer and metal-ions distribution at different growth stages of soybean. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 49(6):644-650. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2016.49.6.644
- Jung, H.I., M.J. Chae, S.J. Kim, M.S. Kong, S.S. Kang, D.B. Lee, H.J. Ju, and Y.H. Kim. 2015. Effects of cadmium and arsenic on physiological responses and copper and zinc homeostasis of rice. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 48(5):397-403. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2015.48.5.397
- Kamachi, K., T. Yamaya, T. Mae, and K. Ojima. 1991. A role for glutamine synthetase in the remobilization of leaf nitrogen during natural senescence in rice leaves. Plant Physiol. 96(2):411-417. https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.96.2.411
- Law, M.Y., S.A. Charles, and B. Halliwell. 1983. Glutathione and ascorbic acid in spinach (Spinacia oleracea) chloroplasts: the effect of hydrogen peroxide and of paraquat. Biochem. J. 210:899-903. https://doi.org/10.1042/bj2100899
- Luwe, M. 1996. Antioxidants in the apoplast and symplast of beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) leaves: seasonal variations and response to changing ozone concentrations in air. Plant Cell Environ. 19:321-328. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-3040.1996.tb00254.x
- Meharg, A.A. and J. Hartley-Whitaker. 2002. Arsenic uptake and metabolism in arsenic resistant and nonresistant plant species. New Phytol. 154:29-43. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1469-8137.2002.00363.x
- Meister, A. and M.E. Anderson. 1983. Glutathione. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 52:711-760. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.bi.52.070183.003431
- Nagajyoti, P.C., K.D. Lee, and T.V.M. Sreekanth. 2010. Heavy metals, occurrence and toxicity for plants: a review. Environ. Chem. Lett. 8:199-216. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10311-010-0297-8
- Park, S.W., J.S. Yang, S.W. Ryu, D.Y. Kim, J.D. Shin, W.I. Kim, J.H. Choi, and S.L. Kim. 2009. Uptake and translocation of heavy metals to rice plant on paddy soils in "Top-rice" cultivation areas. Korean J. Environ. Agic. 28(2):131-138. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2009.28.2.131
- Petrov, V., J. Hille, B. Mueller-Roeber, and T.S. Gechev. 2015. ROS-mediated abiotic stress-induced programmed cell death in plants. Front. Plant Sci. 6:69.
- Piotrowska, A., A. Bajguz, B. Godlewska-yłkiewicz, R. Czerpak, and M. Kamin'ska. 2009. Jasmonic acid as modulator of lead toxicity in aquatic plant Wolffia arrhiza (Lemnaceae). Environ. Exp. Bot. 66:507-513. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envexpbot.2009.03.019
- Semida, W.M., K.A. Hemida, and M.M. Rady. 2018. Sequenced ascorbate-proline-glutathione seed treatment elevates cadmium tolerance in cucumber transplants. Ecotoxicol. Environ. Saf. 154:171-179. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoenv.2018.02.036
- Shekhawat, G.S., K. Verma, S. Jana, K. Singh, P. Teotia, and A. Prasad. 2010. In vitro biochemical evaluation of cadmium tolerance mechanism in callus and seedlings of Brassica juncea. Protoplasma. 239:31-38. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00709-009-0079-y
- Singh, R.P. and M. Agrawal. 2010. Biochemical and physiological responses of rice (Oryza sativa L.) grown on different sewage sludge amendments rates. Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 84:606-612. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00128-010-0007-z
- Singh, V.P., P.K. Srivastava, and S.M. Prasad. 2013. Nitric oxide alleviates arsenic-induced toxic effects in ridged Luffa seedlings. Plant Physiol. Biochem. 71:155-163. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plaphy.2013.07.003
- Singh, V.P., S. Singh, J. Kumar, and S.M. Prasad. 2015. Investigating the roles of ascorbate-glutathione cycle and thiol metabolism in arsenate tolerance in ridged Luffa seedlings. Protoplasma. 252(5):1217-1229. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00709-014-0753-6
- Srivastava, S., S. Mishra, S. Dwivedi, R.D. Tripathi. 2010. Role of thiol metabolism in arsenic detoxification in Hydrilla verticillata (L.f.) Royle. Water Air Soil Pollut. 212:155-165. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11270-010-0329-9
Grant : Cooperative Research Program for Agriculture Science & Technology Development
Supported by : Rural Development Administration