- Volume 33 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Modeling and Discussing the Accident Rate Model of Rotary and Roundabout by Type of Land Use
토지이용별 로터리 및 회전교차로 사고율 모형개발 및 논의
- Lee, Min Yeong (Department of Urban Engineering, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Park, Byung Ho (Department of Urban Engineering, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2017.09.20
- Accepted : 2018.01.29
- Published : 2018.02.28
Rotary that causes traffic delays and safety issues by high-speed entry vehicles is currently being improved to roundabout. The operational difference between rotary and roundabout can cause driver's confusion and traffic accident. The purpose of this study is to develop the accident rate models which explain the factors related to the accidents by land use and intersection type. The main results are as follows. First, the null hypotheses that the type of land use and two intersections do not affect the accident rate are rejected. Second, the conflicting factors such as the number of crosswalk and bicycle lane should be carefully considered to reduce traffic accident at rotary. In the case of roundabout, greater than 3.5 m in circulatory lane width and two circulatory lane are analyzed to be important to prevent the accidents. Finally, the commercial and mixed areas are evaluated to be weak to traffic accidents than residential area.
- Ministry of Public Safety and Security, Installation of Roundabout-Greater Impact on the Traffic Safety and Operation, 2017.
- Ministry of Land Infrastructure and Transport, Roundabout Design Guidelines, 2014.
- Ministry of Land Infrastructure and Transport, Intersection Design Guidelines, 2004.
- B. H. Park and S. O. Ryu, "Planning and Design of Roundabout", Yeawonsa, 2008.
- B. H. Park, J. K. Lim and T. H. Back, "Traffic Accident Models of Domestic Rotary by Day and Nighttime", J. Korean Soc. Saf., Vol. 27, No. 2, pp.104-109, 2012.
- A. H. Cho and B. H. Park, "Analysis and Discussion of Small-size Roundabout Accidents by Vehicle Type", J. Korean Soc. Saf., Vol. 32, No. 6, pp.131-136, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14346/JKOSOS.2017.32.6.131
- D. M. P. Wedagama, R. N. Bird and A. V. Metcalfe, "The Influence of Urban Land-use on Non-motorized Transport Casualties", Accident Analysis & Prevention, Vol. 38, No. 6, pp. 1049-1057, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2006.01.006
- D. M. P Wedagama, R. N. Bird and D. Dissanayake, "The Influence of Urban Land use on Pedestrians Casualties -Case Study Area: Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK-", IATSS Research, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp.62-73, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0386-1112(14)60201-6
- M. Wier, J. Weintraub, E. H. Humphreys, E. Seto and R. Bhatia, "An Area-level Model of Vehicle-pedestrian Injury Collisions with Implications for Land use and Transportation Planning", Accident Analysis and Prevention, Vol. 41, pp. 137-145, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2008.10.001
- J. Y. Jang, S. T. Choi, H. S. Lee, S. J. Kim and S. H. Choo, "A Comparison Analysis of Factors to Affect Pedestrian Volumes by Land-use Type using Seoul Pedestrian Survey Data", Journal of The Korea Institute of Intelligent Transport Systems, Vol.14, No. 2, pp. 39-53, 2015. https://doi.org/10.12815/kits.2015.14.2.039
- J. E. Lee and M. H. Lee, "Analyzing the Landuse Characteristics in Seoul - Focused on Distribution of the Building Area in 2008", Journal of Contents, Vol. 11, No. 5, pp. 467-473, 2011.
- J. G. Sung and D. G. Kim, "Identifying the Effects of Jurisdiction-related Characteristics on the Highway Safety of Vulnerable Users", Crisisonomy, Vol. 12, No. 9, pp. 107-117, 2016.
- T. Y. Kim and B. H. Park, "Analysis on the Effectiveness of Roundabout by Flare of Entry and Exit", Journal of Korea Transportation Research Society, No. 62, pp. 457-462, 2010.
- M. G. Jee, G. Y. Jee, E. C. Kim and B. Y. Shin, "Introduction and Enhancement Directions of Modern Roundabout by Analyzing Current Rotary Operations, Transportation Technology and Policy, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 65-80, 2009.