- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Facilitating Interdisciplinary Research: An Analysis of Grant Proposal Acceptance Rates in South Korea
학제 간 융합연구 활성화 방안 연구
- Received : 2018.04.23
- Accepted : 2018.05.16
- Published : 2018.05.28
Interdisciplinary, or convergence, research has been a priority for the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) and many scholars in Korea have proposed interdisciplinary projects. Of the 4,930 proposals for the submitted in 2017, 2,575 (52.2%) of these proposals could be considered interdisciplinary projects. However, interdisciplinary projects had an acceptance rate of 35.0%, compared to an acceptance rate of 42.1% for single-discipline proposals. According to the study, despite the large share of research projects that appear to be interdisciplinary research, the characteristics of interdisciplinary studies was not reflected properly in the evaluation. I would suggest that it is required to prepare the criteria for classification of interdisciplinary studies in the classification system of research fields so that the characteristics of interdisciplinary research projects may be duly considered.
- L. Bomham, R. Dinnage, and X. Hua, "Interdisciplinary Research Has Lower Funding Success," Nature, Vol.534, pp.684-687, Jun. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature18315 https://doi.org/10.1038/nature18315
- D. E. Trussell, S. Paterson, S. Hebblethwaite, T. M. K. Xing, and M. Evans, "Negotiating the Complexities and Risks of Interdisciplinary Qualitative Research," International Journal of Qualitative Methods, Vol.16, No.1, pp.1-10, Jun. 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/1609406917711351 https://doi.org/10.1177/1609406917711351
- E. T. Yeh, "'How can experience of local residents be "knowledge"?' Challenges in interdisciplinary climate change research," Area, Vol.48, No.1, pp.1-7, 2015. https://doi: 10.1111/area.12189. https://doi.org/10.1111/area.12189
- A. Yegros-Yegros, I. Rafols, and P. D'Este, "Does Interdisciplinary Research Lead to Higher Citation Impact: The Different Effect of Proximal and Distal Interdisciplinarity," PLoS ONE, Vol.10, No.8, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0135095 https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0135095
- S. W. Lee, "Several branches of cognitive science: Cognitive Revolution, Polyscientific Studies, and Selective Cooperation," Knowledge Integration and Future Scientific Technology and Social Research Institute's 3rd Annual Seminar Announcement, 2011.
- S. W. Hong, Creative convergence 'Vector Model'. S. W. Hong (Ed.) What is convergence Seoul: Science Books, 2012.
- H. S. Kim, Engagement: the key to the communicative effectiveness of science and ideas. B. Schiele, M. Claessens and S. Shi (Eds.). Science Communication in the World, 2012.
- K. H. Kim, "New Horizons of Psychological Interventions in Health: Roles of Psychology and Maum Model in Convergence Approach," Korean Journal of Health Psychology, Vol.18, No.2, pp.251-266, 2013. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2013.18.2.001 https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2013.18.2.001
- S. W. Park, How much fusion is possible with theoretical possibilities and practical barriers. S. W. Hong (Ed.) What Is Convergence, Seoul: Science Books, 2012.