- Volume 20 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Change of Gojong(高宗)'s Architectural View and the Aspect of the Constructions of Architectures Working: Through the Change of the Architectures in the Royal Palace
- Seo, Dongchun (Department of Architecture, Hanyang University)
- Received : 2017.08.23
- Accepted : 2018.03.23
- Published : 2018.03.30
Gojong(高宗) had experienced extravagant change during a period of reign and he was located in the center of the change. He was the king who also experienced various changes in construction and accomplished a large number of construction activities aggressively. Gojong could acquire the information and details about anarchitecture, through the experience of a lot of large-scale construction activities in a regency period of Heungseon-Daewongun(興宣大院君). After opening of a port, as the western culture and technology was flowed in Korea, the knowledge of western architecture also was introduced. Gwanmungak(觀文閣) was constructed in Kyeongbokgung Palace under that influence in 1888, but the construction was not successfully finished. Due to the failure of Gwanmungak, Gojong no more constructed a western architecture until 1897. He was aware of the merits of western architectures while living in the western architecture during Agwanpacheon(俄館播遷). And he led a lot of constructions of the western architectures in Kyeongungung(慶運宮). It is possible to arrange in two reasons about the interest in an architecture of Gojong. Firstly, Gojong was individually interested in the architectures, and he constantly accomplished constructions of new buildings from childhood. And secondly, Gojong thought that western architecture has an advantage in the international situations. He held out the tendencies to construct the western architectures with excessive investments.
- Cho, J. (2007) "The Reconstruction of KyeongBok-Gung Palace(景福宮) in the year of Kojong(高宗) and the Standardization of Architectural Norms" The Journal of Seoul Studies, 29.
- Cho, J. & Jeon, B. (2000) "A Study on the Reconstruction of Kyeongbokgung-Palace in the years of Kojong, Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea" Planning and Design Section, 16(4).
- Cultural Heritage Administration of Korea (2006) Report of Construction of Kyongbokgung Guncheongung (景福宮 乾淸宮重建報告書): 122-123.
- Demand Proposal of Each Department(各部請議書存案).
- Gojong Sillok(高宗實錄).
- Homes, B. (2012) trans. Lee, J. Seoul, The Capital of Korea, Pureungil: 98.
- Hong, S. (2007) "The Political Meaning of Reconstruction Gyeongboggung in the Regin of Gojong" The Journal of Seoul Studies, 29: 57-82.
- Jang, Y. (2009) "Study of Gojong's Political Philosophy in the Dehan Imperial Period" Studies of Korean Mordern History, 51: 182.
- Jeong, S. (2006) "A study on the Original form and changing process of Wongudan in Daehan Empire Period" The Journal of Seoul Studies, 27.
- Kim, S. (2010) "A study on process of actual proclamation of Kojong's direct rule" DAEDONG MUNHWA YEON'GU, 72: 358, 360.
- Kim, T. (1996) "A Study on the Russian Architect, Seredin Sabatin, engaged by the Korean Government in the Late 19th century" Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea, Planning and Design Section, 12(7).
- Kang, S. & Kim, J. (2008) "Seokjojeon in Deoksugung Palace, Documentation of the Original Plans and the Relevance for the History of Construction Technology, Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea" Planning and Design Section, 24(4).
- Kim, U. (2014) "Seokjojeon: Forgotten the Imperial Palace of Korean Empire" Minsokwon: 22-30.
- Kim, Y. (2014) "A study on the Construction of Seokjojeon Hall of Deoksugung Palace and the influx of Western Furniture, on the Daehan Empire" Munhwa-jae: Korean Journal of Cultural Heritage Studies, 47(3): 5-8.
- Kokusho, I. (1921) "A Study on the Yukijeon of Keijo(京城六 矣廛について)" The Economic Review (Kyoto University), 12(2): 323-325.
- Kwon, J. (2013) "A Study on the Architectural Characteristic of Nam-kwan-wang-myo(南關王廟) and it's Reconstruction" Journal of Architectural History, 22(4).
- Kyosu-sinmun (2005) The Historical Hearing of Emperor Gojong, Blue History.
- Lee, G. (2009) "Relocation and Alteration of the Military Reservations in Seoul during the Korean Empire Period" The Journal of Seoul Studies, 35.
- Lee, H. (2014) "Character of the Byeolgan-yeok(別看役) figures who participated in the renovation of the Gyeongbokgung( 景福宮) palace" Journal of Choson dynasty history, 70.
- Lee, K. (2014) "A Study on the change of Chandeokgung Palace in the latter part of Late Joseon Dynasty, 1834-1910" The Lecture of History of Art, 42.
- Lee, S. (2015) "Problems and Tasks of Historiography of Modern Architecture in Korea" Journal of Architectural History, 24(2).
- National Palace Museum of Korea (2010) The Korean Empire, Memories of 100 years ago: 70.
- Ota, S. (1938) History of Deoksugung, Yiwangjik: 70, 80.
- Park, H. (2010) "A Study on the Symbolic Spatial Representation of the Daehan Empire, Wongudan" The Journal of Seoul Studies, 40.
- Park, H. (2014) "A study on the power and change of urban space: With focus on Jeong-dong from the Korean Empire Period to the Japanese colonial period" Studies in Urban Humanities, 6(2).
- Rhee, W. (2008) "The Paradigm Shift of Political Thoughts from 'Rule of Ritual' to 'Rule of Ritual' in Korea (1895-1905)" The Korean Review of Political Thought, 14(2): 72.
- Savage-Landor, A. H. (1999), trans. Shin, B. Corea or Cho-sen: The Land of the Morning Calm, Jibmundang: 51, 168-169.
- Seo, D. (2011) "The nature and Aspect of the Construction Works in Early Kojong(高宗): Focused on the Shift of the Central of Hansungbu" Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea, Planning and Design Section, 27(1).
- Seo, D. (2014) A Study on the Architecural Activities and Urban Changes in Seoul during 1864-1910 (1864年-1910年のソウルにおける建築活動と都市変化に関する歴史的研究), Ph.D. Dissertation, The University of Tokyo: 87-90, 94-97.
- Seo, D. (2015) "Seoul of Opening-Port Period, Space of Special Modernization" The 11th Symposium, The Most Advanced Modern Architectural History, Architectural Institute of Japan: 35-37.
- Seungjeongwon Ilgi (承政院日記).
- The Official Gazette (官報).
- Whigham, H. J. (2009), trans. Lee, Y. Manchuria and Korea, Salim: 250-251.
- Yeon, K. (1992) "The Characteristics of Daewongun Ruling and the Change of Power Structure" Studies of Korean History, 27: 274-275.
- Yi, T. (2000) Review of Gojong Period, Taehaksa.
- Yi, H. (2009) A Study on the Changes to the Jeonggak Complex after the reconstruction of Kyeongbokgung: With a focus on Kyeongbokgung Baechido and Bukgwoldohyeong, Ph.D. Dissertation, Kyonggi University: 93.