- Volume 19 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Nursing Students' Consciousness of Biomedical Ethics, Good Death Recognition, and Self-Esteem on the Attitude toward Withdrawal of Life-Sustaining Treatment
간호대학생의 생명의료윤리 의식, 좋은 죽음 인식, 자아존중감이 연명치료 중단에 대한 태도에 미치는 영향
- Choi, Eun Jeong (College of Nursing, Chungnam National University) ;
- Jeong, Hye Sun (Department of Nursing, Kongju National University)
- Received : 2018.02.21
- Accepted : 2018.05.04
- Published : 2018.05.31
This study was a descriptive study to investigate the effects of nursing students' consciousness of biomedical ethics, good death recognition, and self-esteem on attitudes toward withdrawal of life-sustaining treatment. The subjects of this study were 204 nursing students attending university. The data were collected from October 24 to October 31, 2017 and analyzed using the SPSS Win. 22.0 program. Attitudes toward withdrawal of life-sustaining treatment scored
Life-sustaining treatment;Biomedical ethics;Good death;Self-esteem;Nursing student
- S. M. Kim, K. S. Kim, I. S. Lee, S. Y. Kim, "Perception Towards Advance Directives, Hospice-Palliative Care, Life-Sustaining Treatment among the Middle Aged Adults", Korean J Soc Welf Res, vol. 37, pp. 21-44, 2013.
- M. L. Olsen, K. M. Swetz, P. S. Mueller, "Ethical Decision Making with End-of-Life Care: Palliative Sedation and Withholding or Withdrawing Life-Sustaining Treatments", Paper presented at the Mayo Clinic Proceedings, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4065/mcp.2010.0201
- S. N. Kim, H. J. Kim, "Recognition of Good Death, Attitude Towards the Withdrawal of Life-Sustaining Treatment, and Attitude Towards Euthanasia in Nurses", Korean Journal of Hospice and Palliative Care, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 136-144, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14475/kjhpc.2016.19.2.136 https://doi.org/10.14475/kjhpc.2016.19.2.136
- A. A. Wright, B. Zhang, A. Ray, J. W. Mack, E. Trice, T. Balboni, S. L. Mitchell, V. A. Jackson, S. D. Block, P. K. Maciejewski. "Associations between End-of-Life Discussions, Patient Mental Health, Medical Care near Death, and Caregiver Bereavement Adjustment", Jama, vol. 300, no. 14,, pp. 1665-1673, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.300.14.1665 https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.300.14.1665
- H. M. Jung, J. h. Kim, D. S. Heo, S. K. Baek, "Health Economics of a Palliative Care Unit for Terminal Cancer Patients: A Retrospective Cohort Study", Supportive Care in Cancer, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 29-37, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-010-1047-y https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-010-1047-y
- C. Y. Chang, Y. S. Kim, "Attitude toward Forgoing Life-Sustaining Treatment among Cancer Patient Families" Ment Health Soc Work, vol. 38, no. -, pp. 5-30, 2011.
- H. K. Lee, H. S. Kang, "Attitudes and Awareness Towards the Withdrawal of Life-Sustaining Treatment among Nurses, Physicians, and Families of Intensive Care Unit Patients", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 85-98, 2010.
- U. K. Braun, M. E. Ford, R. J. Beyth, Laurence. B. McCullough, "The Physician's Professional Role in End-of-Life Decision-Making: Voices of Racially and Ethnically Diverse Physicians", Patient education and counseling, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 3-9, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2009.10.018 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2009.10.018
- K. H, Jo, G. M. Kim, "Understanding the Attitude of Korean Adults toward Dignified Dying: Q-Methodological Approach", Korean J Med Ethics, vol. 14, pp. 29-43, 2011.
- E. K. Byun, H. R. Choi, A. L. Choi, N. M. Kim, K. H. Hong, H. S. Kim, "An Investigative Research on the Attitudes of Intensive Care Unit Nurses and Families on Terminating Life Support", Clinical Nursing Research, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 112-124, 2003.
- G. M. Kim, K. S. Sung, E. J. Kim, "Awareness of Nursing Students'Biomedical Ethics and Attitudes toward Withdrawal of Life-Sustaining Treatment", Child Health Nursing Research, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 292-299, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2017.23.3.292 https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2017.23.3.292
- S. B. Kim, "Knowledge to interruption of life-sustaining treatment and advance directives in nursing students [Master's Thesis]," Chonbuk: Chonbuk National University, pp. 17-29, 2011.
- K. J. Lee, S. Y. Yoo, "Relationships between Nurses' Ethical Dilemma, Coping Types, Job Satisfaction and Turnover Intention in Korea", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 1-15, 2011.
- S. Y. Kim, S. S. Hur, B. H. Kim, "Study of Subjective View on the Meaning of Well-Dying Held by Medical Practitioners and Nursing Students: Based on Q-Methodology", The Korean Journal of Hospice and Palliative Care, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 10-17, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14475/kjhpc.2014.17.1.10 https://doi.org/10.14475/kjhpc.2014.17.1.10
- M. Rosenberg, Society and the Adolescent Self-Image., vol. 11: Princeton university press Princeton, NJ, 1965. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/9781400876136
- A. K. Han, "A Study on Professional Attitudes and Self-Esteem in Nursing Students", Annual Bulletin of Seoul Health Junior College, vol. 14, pp. 149-158, 1994.
- H. S. Kim, S. R. Shin, "The Influence of Social Support among Community Dwelling Elderly and Their Attitude Towards the Withdrawal of Life-Sustaining Treatment: A Mediating Effect of Self-Esteem", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 373-381, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2017.29.4.373 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2017.29.4.373
- Y. S. Lee, "A Study of the Ethical Values of Korean Nurses", The Journal of Nurses Academic Society, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 249-270, 1990. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4040/jnas.19184.108.40.206 https://doi.org/10.4040/jnas.19220.127.116.11
- S. J. Kwon, "A study on consciousness of bioethics of the nursing students and medical students [Master's Thesis]", Daegu: Keimyung Universuty, 2003.
- C. E. Schwartz, K. Mazor, J. Rogers, Y. Ma, G. Reed, "Validation of a New Measure of Concept of a Good Death", Journal of Palliative Medicine, vol. 6, no. 4, pp 575-584, 2003. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1089/109662103768253687 https://doi.org/10.1089/109662103768253687
- H. S. Jeong, "Recognition Towards Good Death among Physicians and Nurses in an Area [Master's Thesis]", Busan: Catholic University of Pusan, 2010.
- B. J. Jon, "Self-Esteem: A Test of Its Measurability", Yonsei Nonchong, vol. 11, no. 1,, pp. 107-130, 1974.
- G. S. Park, "The Study of Consciousness of Euthanasia among Health Professionals: Q-Methodological Approach [Master's Thesis]" Seoul: Dankook University, 2000.
- S. Y. Kim, "Effects of Biomedical Ethics Education Using Movies on Biomedical Ethics Awareness of Nursing Students", The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 281-290, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.07.281 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.07.281
- M. S. Yoo, K. C. Shon, "Effects of Nursing Ethics Education on Biomedical Ethics Awareness, Moral Sensitivity and Moral Judgment of Nursing Students", J Korean Bioethics Assoc, vol. 12, no. 2,, pp. 61-76, 2012.
- Y. H. Kim, Y. S. Yoo, O. H. Cho, "Nursing Students' Awareness of Biomedical Ethics and Attitudes toward Death of Terminal Patients", The Korean Journal of Hospice and Palliative Care, vol. 16, no. 1, pp 1-9, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14475/kjhpc.2013.16.1.001 https://doi.org/10.14475/kjhpc.2013.16.1.001
- M. S, An, K. J. Lee. "Awareness of Good Death and Attitudes toward Terminal Care among Geriatric Hospital Nurses", Korean Journal of Hospice and Palliative Care, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 122-133, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14475/kjhpc.2014.17.3.122
- M. h. Lim, C. S. Park, "Factors Affecting the Consciousness of Biomedical Ethics of Nursing Students", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 4423-4431, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.7.4423 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.7.4423
- G. S. Jeong, "The Effect of Gender, Ethical Values and Characteristics of Biomedical Ethics on the Consciousness of Biomedical Ethics on Nursing Students in One Nursing College", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 5672-5681, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.11.5672 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.11.5672
- C. S. Park, "An Attitude of the Withholding Treatment [Master's Thesis]", The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, 2004.
- I. S. Kim, "Effects of Bioethics Education on the Consciousness of Bioethics of Freshman Nursing and Health Students", J of Korean Bioeth, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 1-13, 2013.
- W. Y. Choi, "Awareness of Biomedical Ethics and Attitudes Regarding Human Tissue Donation and Transplantation of Nursing Students [Dissertation]" Daegu: Kyungpook National Univ, 2012.
- J. Y. Ha, D. H. Kim, S. K. Hwang, "The Perception of Biomedical Ethics in Nurses", The Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 216-224, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2009.15.2.216 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2009.15.2.216
- E. H. Kim, E. J. Lee, "A Comparison of First-Year and Senior Nursing Students' Ethical Values and Understanding of Biomedical Ethics", Korean Journal of Medical Ethics, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 78-95, 2012.
- S. Y. Lee, J. S. Lee, Y. Y. Kim, "The Effects of Self-Esteem and Self-Efficacy on Ego-Resilience of Nursing Students", Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 401-409, 2017. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.5.401 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.5.401
- K. H. Kim, K. D. Kim, H. S. Byun, B. Y. Chung, "Spiritual Well-Being, Self Esteem, and Attitude to Death among Nursing Students" Journal of Korean Oncology Nursing, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 1-9, 2010.
- J. G. Kim, S. M. Oh, E. Y. Cheon, J. H, Yoo, "Factors Influencing the Attitude toward Death in College Nursing Student", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 676-683, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.1.676 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.1.676
- E. J. Yeun, Y. P. Hong, J. H. An, "Attitudes toward Life Sustaining Treatment(Lst) of Health Professionals and General Public : A Co-Orientational Look", The Journal of Korea Society for Wellness, vol. 11, no. 2, 1-14, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.21097/ksw.2016.11.11.4.1
- D. S. Heo, "Patient Autonomy and Advance Directives in Korea", Journal of the Korean Medical Association, vol. 52, no. 9, pp. 865-870, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2009.52.9.865 https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2009.52.9.865