- Volume 12 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Total energy intake according to the level of skeletal muscle mass in Korean adults aged 30 years and older: an analysis of the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys (KNHANES) 2008-2011
- Jang, Bo Young (Department of Food and Nutrition, Daegu University) ;
- Bu, So Young (Department of Food and Nutrition, Daegu University)
- Received : 2017.11.28
- Accepted : 2018.04.12
- Published : 2018.06.01
BACKGROUND/OBJECTIVES: Since gain or loss of skeletal muscle mass is a gradual event and occurs due to a combination of lifestyle factors, assessment of dietary factors related to skeletal muscle is complicated. The aim of this study was to investigate the changes in total energy intake according to the level of skeletal muscle mass. SUBJECTS/METHODS: A total of 8,165 subjects
Supported by : Daegu University
- Gallagher D, Heymsfield SB. Muscle distribution: variations with body weight, gender, and age. Appl Radiat Isot 1998;49:733-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0969-8043(97)00096-1
- Ministry of Health and Welfare (KR); The Korean Nutrition Society. Dietary Reference Intakes for Koreans 2015. Sejong: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2016.
- Han JE, Lee JY, Bu SY. The level of serum cholesterol is negatively associated with lean body mass in Korean non-diabetic cancer patients. Clin Nutr Res 2016;5:126-36. https://doi.org/10.7762/cnr.2016.5.2.126
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Guidelines for Utilization of Raw Data from the Fifth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (2010-2012). Cheongwon: Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2012.
- Studenski SA, Peters KW, Alley DE, Cawthon PM, McLean RR, Harris TB, Ferrucci L, Guralnik JM, Fragala MS, Kenny AM, Kiel DP, Kritchevsky SB, Shardell MD, Dam TT, Vassileva MT. The FNIH sarcopenia project: rationale, study description, conference recommendations, and final estimates. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2014;69:547-58. https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/glu010
- Rural Development Administration (KR). Food Composition Table. 7th ed. Suwon: Rural Development Administration; 2006.
- Cameron JD, Sigal RJ, Kenny GP, Alberga AS, Prud'homme D, Phillips P, Doucette S, Goldfield G. Body composition and energy intake - skeletal muscle mass is the strongest predictor of food intake in obese adolescents: the HEARTY trial. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 2016;41:611-7. https://doi.org/10.1139/apnm-2015-0479
- Phillips SM. Nutritional supplements in support of resistance exercise to counter age-related sarcopenia. Adv Nutr 2015;6:452-60. https://doi.org/10.3945/an.115.008367
- Janssen I, Heymsfield SB, Wang ZM, Ross R. Skeletal muscle mass and distribution in 468 men and women aged 18-88 yr. J Appl Physiol (1985) 2000;89:81-8. https://doi.org/10.1152/jappl.2000.89.1.81
- Hughes VA, Frontera WR, Roubenoff R, Evans WJ, Singh MA. Longitudinal changes in body composition in older men and women: role of body weight change and physical activity. Am J Clin Nutr 2002;76:473-81. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/76.2.473
- Cermak NM, Res PT, de Groot LC, Saris WH, van Loon LJ. Protein supplementation augments the adaptive response of skeletal muscle to resistance-type exercise training: a meta-analysis. Am J Clin Nutr 2012;96:1454-64. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.112.037556
- Okazaki K, Yazawa D, Goto M, Kamijo YI, Furihata M, Gen-no H, Hamada K, Nose H. Effects of macronutrient intake on thigh muscle mass during home-based walking training in middle-aged and older women. Scand J Med Sci Sports 2013;23:e286-92.
- Satia-Abouta J, Patterson RE, Schiller RN, Kristal AR. Energy from fat is associated with obesity in U.S. men: results from the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial. Prev Med 2002;34:493-501. https://doi.org/10.1006/pmed.2002.1018
- Ferreira SR, Lerario DD, Gimeno SG, Sanudo A, Franco LJ. Obesity and central adiposity in Japanese immigrants: role of the Western dietary pattern. J Epidemiol 2002;12:431-8. https://doi.org/10.2188/jea.12.431
- Rosato V, Edefonti V, Parpinel M, Milani GP, Mazzocchi A, Decarli A, Agostoni C, Ferraroni M. Energy contribution and nutrient composition of breakfast and their relations to overweight in free-living individuals: a systematic review. Adv Nutr 2016;7:455-65. https://doi.org/10.3945/an.115.009548
- Ferrando AA, Tipton KD, Bamman MM, Wolfe RR. Resistance exercise maintains skeletal muscle protein synthesis during bed rest. J Appl Physiol (1985) 1997;82:807-10. https://doi.org/10.1152/jappl.19184.108.40.2067
- Kalyani RR, Tra Y, Yeh HC, Egan JM, Ferrucci L, Brancati FL. Quadriceps strength, quadriceps power, and gait speed in older U.S. adults with diabetes mellitus: results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1999-2002. J Am Geriatr Soc 2013;61:769-75. https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.12204
- Ryan AM, Power DG, Daly L, Cushen SJ, Ni BE, Prado CM. Cancerassociated malnutrition, cachexia and sarcopenia: the skeleton in the hospital closet 40 years later. Proc Nutr Soc 2016;75:199-211. https://doi.org/10.1017/S002966511500419X
- Shad BJ, Wallis G, van Loon LJ, Thompson JL. Exercise prescription for the older population: the interactions between physical activity, sedentary time, and adequate nutrition in maintaining musculoskeletal health. Maturitas 2016;93:78-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2016.05.016
- Reidy PT, Rasmussen BB. Role of ingested amino acids and protein in the promotion of resistance exercise-induced muscle protein anabolism. J Nutr 2016;146:155-83. https://doi.org/10.3945/jn.114.203208
- Smith GI, Yoshino J, Stromsdorfer KL, Klein SJ, Magkos F, Reeds DN, Klein S, Mittendorfer B. Protein ingestion induces muscle insulin resistance independent of leucine-mediated mTOR activation. Diabetes 2015;64:1555-63. https://doi.org/10.2337/db14-1279
- Tinker LF, Sarto GE, Howard BV, Huang Y, Neuhouser ML, Mossavar-Rahmani Y, Beasley JM, Margolis KL, Eaton CB, Phillips LS, Prentice RL. Biomarker-calibrated dietary energy and protein intake associations with diabetes risk among postmenopausal women from the Women's Health Initiative. Am J Clin Nutr 2011;94:1600-6. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.111.018648
- Kalyani RR, Tra Y, Egan JM, Ferrucci L, and Brancati F. Hyperglycemia is associated with relatively lower lean body mass in older adults. J Nutr. Health Aging 2014;18:737-43. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12603-014-0538-9
- Blundell JE, Caudwell P, Gibbons C, Hopkins M, Naslund E, King NA, Finlayson G. Body composition and appetite: fat-free mass (but not fat mass or BMI) is positively associated with self-determined meal size and daily energy intake in humans. Br J Nutr 2012;107: 445-9. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114511003138
- Hopkins M, Finlayson G, Duarte C, Whybrow S, Ritz P, Horgan GW, Blundell JE, Stubbs RJ. Modelling the associations between fat-free mass, resting metabolic rate and energy intake in the context of total energy balance. Int J Obes (Lond) 2016;40:312-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/ijo.2015.155
- Janssen I, Shepard DS, Katzmarzyk PT, Roubenoff R. The healthcare costs of sarcopenia in the United States. J Am Geriatr Soc 2004;52:80-5. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2004.52014.x
- World Health Organization. World Report on Ageing and Health. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2015.
- Poggiogalle E, Lubrano C, Sergi G, Coin A, Gnessi L, Mariani S, Lenzi A, Donini LM. Sarcopenic obesity and metabolic syndrome in adult caucasian subjects. J Nutr Health Aging 2016;20:958-63. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12603-015-0638-1
- Stephens FB, Chee C, Wall BT, Murton AJ, Shannon CE, van Loon LJ, Tsintzas K. Lipid-induced insulin resistance is associated with an impaired skeletal muscle protein synthetic response to amino acid ingestion in healthy young men. Diabetes 2015;64:1615-20. https://doi.org/10.2337/db14-0961
- Slusher AL, Mock JT, Whitehurst M, Maharaj A, Huang CJ. The impact of obesity on pentraxin 3 and inflammatory milieu to acute aerobic exercise. Metabolism 2015;64:323-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.metabol.2014.10.022
- McNeil J, Lamothe G, Cameron JD, Riou ME, Cadieux S, Lafreniere J, Goldfield G, Willbond S, Prud'homme D, Doucet E. Investigating predictors of eating: is resting metabolic rate really the strongest proxy of energy intake? Am J Clin Nutr 2017;106:1206-12.
- Min HS, Kang JY, Sung J, Kim MK. Blood triglycerides levels and dietary carbohydrate indices in healthy Koreans. J Prev Med Public Health 2016;49:153-64. https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.16.014
- Ha K, Kim K, Chun OK, Joung H, Song Y. Differential association of dietary carbohydrate intake with metabolic syndrome in the US and Korean adults: data from the 2007-2012 NHANES and KNHANES. Eur J Clin Nutr. Forthcoming 2018.
- Kim K, Yun SH, Choi BY, Kim MK. Cross-sectional relationship between dietary carbohydrate, glycaemic index, glycaemic load and risk of the metabolic syndrome in a Korean population. Br J Nutr 2008;100:576-84. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114508904372
- Meyer KA, Kushi LH, Jacobs DR Jr, Slavin J, Sellers TA, Folsom AR. Carbohydrates, dietary fiber, and incident type 2 diabetes in older women. Am J Clin Nutr 2000;71:921-30. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/71.4.921
- Song SJ, Lee JE, Paik HY, Park MS, Song YJ. Dietary patterns based on carbohydrate nutrition are associated with the risk for diabetes and dyslipidemia. Nutr Res Pract 2012;6:349-56. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2012.6.4.349
- Rozenek R, Ward P, Long S, Garhammer J. Effects of high-calorie supplements on body composition and muscular strength following resistance training. J Sports Med Phys Fitness 2002;42:340-7.
- A Vegetables and Fish Dietary Pattern Is Positively Associated with Skeletal Muscle Mass in Korean Men vol.8, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.7762/cnr.2019.8.1.1
- Sarcopenic obesity can be negatively associated with active physical activity and adequate intake of some nutrients in Korean elderly: Findings from the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (2008–2011) vol.13, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2019.13.1.47