- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Shunt Active Filter for Multi-Level Inverters Using DDSRF with State Delay Controller
- Rajesh, C.R. (Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, CSI Institute of Technology) ;
- Umayal, S.P. (Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Muthayammal Engineering College)
- Received : 2017.07.22
- Accepted : 2018.01.08
- Published : 2018.05.20
The traditional power control theories for the harmonic reduction methods in multilevel inverters are found to be unreliable under unbalanced load conditions. The unreliability in harmonic mitigation is caused by voltage fluctuations, non-linear loads, the use of power switches, etc. In general, the harmonics are reduced by filters. However, such devices are an expensive way to provide a smooth and fast response to secure power systems during dynamic conditions. Hence, the Decoupled Double Synchronous Reference Frame (DDSRF) theory combined with a State Delay Controller (SDC) is proposed to achieve a harmonic reduction in power systems. The DDSRF produces a sinusoidal harmonic that is the opposite of the load harmonic. Then, it injects this harmonic into power systems, which reduces the effect of harmonics. The SDC is used to reduce the delay between the compensation time for power injection and the generation of a reference signal. The proposed technique has been simulated using MATLAB and its reliability has been verified experimentally under unbalanced conditions.
- B. Singh, K. Al-Haddad, and A. Chandra, "A review of active filters for power quality improvement," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 46, No. 5, pp. 960-971, 1999.
- F. Blaabjerg, R. Teodorescu, M. Liserre, and A.V. Timbus, "Overview of control and grid synchronization for distributed power generation systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 53, No. 5, pp. 1398-409, Oct. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2006.881997
- M. Ucar, S. Ozdemir, and E. Ozdemir, "A unified series-parallel active filter system for nonperiodic disturbances," Turkish J. Electr. Eng. Comp. Sci., Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 575-596, Jun. 2011.
- R. Arseneau, Y. Baghzouz, J. Belanger, K. Bowes, A. Braun, A. Chiaravallo, M. Cox, S. Crampton, A. Emanuel, P. Filipski, and E. Gunther, "Practical definitions for powers in systems with non-sinusoidal waveforms and unbalanced loads: a discussion," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 11, No.1, pp. 79-101, Jan. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.484004
- S. A. Gonzalez, R. Garcia-Retegui, and M. Benedetti, "Harmonic computation technique suitable for active power filters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 5, pp. 2791-2796, Oct. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.894789
- K. R. Uyyuru, M. K. Mishra, and A. Ghosh, "An optimization-based algorithm for shunt active filter under distorted supply voltages," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 24, No. 5, pp. 1223-1232, May 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.2011908
- P. Garanayak, and G. Panda, "Harmonic elimination and reactive power compensation with a novel control algorithm based active power filter," J. Power Electron., Vol. 15, No. 6, pp. 1619-1627, Nov. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.6.1619
- C. Zhang, M. Gong, Y. Zhang, and Y. Li, "Multiple-period repetitive controller for selective harmonic compensation with shunt active power filter," J. Power Electron., Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 819-829, May 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.3.819
- Y. Wang, Y.-X. Xie, and X. Liu, "Analysis and design of dc-link voltage controller in shunt active power filter," J. Power Electron., Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 763-774, May 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.3.763
- M. K. Mishra, A. Ghosh, A. Joshi, and H. M. Suryawanshi, "A novel method of load compensation under unbalanced and distorted voltages," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 288-295, Jan. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2006.881579
- P. Rodriguez, J. Pou, J. Bergas, J. I. Candela, R.P. Burgos, and D. Boroyevich, "Decoupled double synchronous reference frame PLL for power converters control," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 584-592, Mar. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2006.890000
- E. Sundaram and M. Venugopal, "On design and implementation of three phase three level shunt active power filter for harmonic reduction using synchronous reference frame theory," Electr. Power Energy Syst., Vol. 81, pp. 40-47, Feb. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2016.02.008
- J. S. Kim and Y. S. Kim, "A new control method for a single-phase hybrid active power filter based on a rotating reference frame," J. Power Electron., Vol. 9, No. 5, pp. 718-25, Sep. 2009.
- H. H. Tumbelaka, L. J. Borle, C.V. Nayar, and S. R. Lee, "A grid current-controlling shunt active power filter," J. Power Electron., Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 365-76, May 2009.
- J. H. Lee, J. K. Jeong, B. M. Han, and B. Y. Bae, "New reference generation for a single-phase active power filter to improve steady state performance," J. Power Electron., Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 412-418, Jul. 2010. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2010.10.4.412
- M. Adel, S. Zaid, and O. Mahgoub, "Improved active power filter performance based on an indirect current control technique," J. Power Electron., Vol. 11, No. 6, pp. 931-937, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.6.931
- Y. Han and L. Xu, "Design and implementation of a robust predictive control scheme for active power filters," J. Power Electron., Vol. 11, No. 5, pp. 751-758, Sep. 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.5.751
- L. Zhou, M. Yang, Q. Liu, and K. Guo, "New control strategy for three-phase grid-connected LCL inverters without a phase-locked loop," J. Power Electron., Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 487-96, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2013.13.3.487
- Q. N. Trinh and H. H. Lee, "Advanced repetitive controller to improve the voltage characteristics of distributed generation with nonlinear loads," J. Power Electron., Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 409-18, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2013.13.3.409
- C. Siluvaimuthu and V. Chenniappan, "A low-cost reconfigurable field-programmable gate array based three-phase shunt active power filter for current harmonic elimination and power factor constraints," Electr. Power Compon. Syst., Vol. 42, No. 16, pp. 1811-1826, Nov. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1080/15325008.2014.949911