- Volume 27 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Bearing capacity of an eccentric tubular concrete-filled steel bridge pier
- Sui, Weining (School of civil engineering, Shenyang Jianzhu University) ;
- Cheng, Haobo (Traffic Engineering College, Shenyang Jianzhu University) ;
- Wang, Zhanfei (Traffic Engineering College, Shenyang Jianzhu University)
- Received : 2017.07.06
- Accepted : 2018.03.04
- Published : 2018.05.10
In this paper, the bearing capacity of a non-eccentric and eccentric tubular, concrete-filled, steel bridge pier was studied through the finite element method. Firstly, to verify the validity of the numerical analysis, the finite element analysis of four steel tube columns with concrete in-fill was carried out under eccentric loading and horizontal cyclic loading. The analytical results were compared with experimental data. Secondly, the effects of the eccentricity of the vertical loading on the seismic performance of these eccentrically loaded steel tubular bridge piers were considered. According to the simulated results, with increasing eccentricity ratio, the bearing capacity on the eccentric side of a steel tubular bridge pier (with concrete in-fill) is greatly reduced, while the capacity on the opposite side is improved. Moreover, an empirical formula was proposed to describe the bearing capacity of such bridge piers under non-eccentric and eccentric load. This will provide theoretical evidence for the seismic design of the eccentrically loaded steel tubular bridge piers with concrete in-fill.
Supported by : Education Department of Liaoning Province, Shenyang Jianzhu University
- Aoki, T., Suzuki, S., Watanabe, S., Suzuki, M., Usami, T. and Ge, H. (2003), "Experimental study on strength and deformation capacity of inverted L-shaped steel bridge piers subjected to out-of-plane cyclic loading", Struct. Eng. Earthq. Eng., JSCE, 724(62), 213-223. [In Japanese]
- Gao, S.B., Usami, T. and Ge, H.B. (2000a), "Eccentrically loaded steel columns under cyclic in-plane loading", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 126(8), 964-973. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2000)126:8(964)
- Gao, S.B., Usami, T. and Ge, H.B. (2000b), "Eccentrically loaded steel columns under cyclic out-of-plane loading", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 126(8), 974-981. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2000)126:8(974)
- Ge, H., Watanabe, S., Usami, T. and Aoki, T. (2003), "Analytical study on strength and deformation capacity of inverted L-shaped steel bridge piers subjected to out-of-plane cyclic loading", Struct. Eng. Earthq. Eng., JSCE, 738(64), 207-218. [In Japanese]
- Goto, Y., Kumar, G. and Kawanishi, N. (2010), "Nonlinear Finite-Element Analysis for Hysteretic Behavior of Thin-Walled Circular Steel Columns with In-Filled Concrete", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 136(11), 1413-1422. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000240
- Goto, Y., Mizuno, K. and Prosenjit Kumar, G. (2012), "Nonlinear Finite Element Analysis for Cyclic Behavior of Thin-Walled Stiffened Rectangular Steel Columns with In-Filled Concrete", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 138(5), 571-584. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000504
- Goto, Y., Ebisawa, T. and Lu, X. (2014), "Local Buckling Restraining Behavior of Thin-Walled Circular CFT Columns under Seismic Loads", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 140(5), 1-14.
- Iura, M., Orino, A. and Ishizawa, T. (2002), "Elasto-plastic behavior of concrete-filled steel tubular columns", Struct. Eng. Earthq. Eng., JSCE, 696(58), 285-298. [In Japanese]
- Japan Road Association (2016), Specifications for Highway Designs Part V Seismic Design (English Version), Maruzen, Tokyo, Japan.
- Kim, D., Jeon, C. and Shim, C. (2016), "Cyclic and static behaviors of CFT modular bridge pier with enhanced bracings", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 20(6), 1221-1236. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.20.6.1221
- Kinoshita, K., Miki, C. and Ichikawa, A. (2008), "Study on seismic performance of existing steel bridge frame piers with circular column", Struct. Eng. Earthq. Eng., JSCE, 64(3), 571-587. [In Japanese]
- Mamaghani, I.H., Khavanin, M., Erdogan, E. and Falken, L. (2008), "Elasto-plastic analysis and ductility evaluation of steel tubular columns subjected to cyclic loading", Proceedings of Structures Congress, Vancouver, Canada, April.
- Michel, B. and Julia, M. (2004), "Seismic design of concrete-filled circular steel bridge piers", J. Bridge Eng., ASCE, 9(1), 24-34. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2004)9:1(24)
- Moon, J., Roeder, C.W., Lehman, D.E. and Lee, H.E. (2012), "Analytical modelling of bending of circular concrete-filled steel tubes", Eng. Struct., 42, 349-361. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.04.028
- Nie, J.G., Wang, Y.H. and Fan, J.S. (2012), "Experimental study on seismic behavior of concrete filled steel tube columns under pure torsion and compression-torsion cyclic load", J. Constr. Steel Res., 79, 115-126. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2012.07.029
- Perea, T., Leon, R.T., Hajjar, J.F. and Denavit, M.D. (2014), "Fullscale tests of slender concrete-filled tubes: Interaction behavior", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 140(9), 1249-1262.
- Sakimoto, T., Nakayama, M., Kawabata, T., Watanabe, H. and Eyama, E. (2002), "Hysteretic behavior of inverted-shaped steel bridge piers subjected to out-of-plane cyclic loading", Struct. Eng. Earthq. Eng., JSCE, 696(54), 215-224. [In Japanese]
- Shimaguchi, Y. and Suzuki, M. (2015), "Seismic performance evaluation of circular steel bridge piers which have damage and concrete filled repair", Proceedings of IABSE Conference Nara 2015, Nara, Japan, May.
- Susantha, K.A.S., Ge, H.B. and Usami, T. (2002), "Cyclic analysis and capacity prediction of concrete-filled steel box columns", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 31(2), 195-216. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.105
- Wang, Z.F. and Yamao, T. (2011), "Ultimate strength and Ductility of Stiffened Steel Tubular Bridge Piers", Int. J. Steel Struct., 11(1), 81-90. https://doi.org/10.1007/S13296-011-1007-5
- Wang, Z.F., Wu, Q. and Sui, W.N. (2011), "Effect of Filledconcrete Height on Ultimate Strength and Ductility of Steel Tubular Bridge Pier with Partial Filled-concrete", Adv. Mater. Res., 368.
- Wang, Z.F., Sui, W.N., Li, G.C., Wu, Q. and Ge, L. (2015), "Mechanical Behavior of Partially Concrete-filled Steel Circular Bridge Piers Under Cyclic Lateral Load", China J. Highway Transport, 28(1), 62-70. [In Chinese]
- Wang, Z.F., Zhang, X. and Li, G.C. (2016), "A simple method to calculate the concrete-filled height of steel tubular bridge piers with concrete-filled based on the ductility performance", J. Shenyang Jianzhu Univ. (Natural Science), 32(5), 827-837. [In Chinese]
- Wei, H., Wang, H.J. and Hasegawa, A. (2014), "Experimental study on reinforced concrete filled circular steel tubular columns", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 17(4), 517-533. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2014.17.4.517