- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
High-Performance Elevator Traction Using Direct Torque Controlled Induction Motor Drive
- Arafa, Osama Mohamed ;
- Abdallah, Mohamed Elsayed ;
- Aziz, Ghada Ahmed Abdel
- Received : 2017.08.22
- Accepted : 2017.11.06
- Published : 2018.05.01
This paper presents a detailed realization of direct torque controlled induction motor drive for elevator applications. The drive is controlled according to the well-known space vector modulated direct control scheme (SVM-DTC). As the elevator drives are usually equipped with speed sensors, flux estimation is carried out using a current model where two stator currents are measured and accurate instantaneous rotor speed measurement is used to overcome the need for measuring stator voltages. Speed profiling for a comfortable elevator ride and other supervisory control activities to provide smooth operation are also explained. The drive performance is examined and controllers' parameters are fine-tuned using MATLAB/SIMULINK. The blocks used for flux and torque estimation and control in the offline simulation are compiled for real-time using dSPACE Microlabox. The performance of the drive has been verified experimentally. The results show good performance under transient and steady state conditions.
Direct Torque Control (DTC);DSP;Elevator drives;Induction motor drives;Stator voltage reconstruction;Voltage source inverter nonlinearity
- C. Lascu, I. Boldea and F. Blaabjerg, "Variable-structure DTC-a class of fast and robust controllers for IM drives," in IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 785-792, Aug. 2004.
- G. Wang, and D. Xu, "Robust Low-Cost Control Scheme of Direct-Drive Gearless Traction Machine for Elevators Without a Weight Transducer," in IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 9-16, 2012.
- E. Levi, "Multiphase Machines for Variable-Speed Applications," in IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 10-17, 2008.
- G. S. Buja and M. P. Kazmierkowski, "Direct torque control of PWM inverter-fed AC motors-a survey," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 744-757, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2004.831717
- L. Bin, W. Jianru, L. Mingshui and G. Ang, "Research on elevator drive device with super capacitor for energy storage," 2011 4th International Conference on Power Electronics Systems and Applications, Hong Kong, 2011, pp. 1-5.
- Kuo-Kai Shyu, Ming-Ji Yang and Te Wei Wang "Global Minimum Torque Ripple Design for DTC of Induction Motor Drives," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 57, no. 9, pp. 3148-3155, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2038401
- M. Ping, "Self-Tuned NFC and Adaptive Torque Hysteresis-Based DTC Scheme for IM," in IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 10-20, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2013.2288225
- K. B. Lee and F. Blaabjerg, "Sensorless DTC-SVM for IM driven by a matrix converter using a parameter estimation strategy," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 512-521, Feb. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.911940
- B. El Badsi, and A. Masmoudi, "DTC Scheme for a Four-Switch Inverter-Fed IM Emulating the Six-Switch Inverter Operation," in IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 3528-3538, 2013.
- A. Berzoy; J. Rengifo; O. Mohammed, "Fuzzy Predictive DTC of IM with Reduced Torque Ripple and High Performance Operation," in IEEE Trans. on Power Elect., vol. PP, no. 99, pp. 1-10, 2017.
- S. S. Sebtahmadi, A. Radan and S. Mekhilef, "A 12-Sector Space Vector Switching Scheme for Performance Improvement of Matrix-Converter-Based DTC of IM Drive," in IEEE Trans. on Power Elect., vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 3804-3817, July 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2347457
- V. N. N, A. Panda and S. P. Singh, "A Three-Level Fuzzy-2 DTC of Induction Motor Drive Using SVPWM," in IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 1467-1479, March 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2015.2504551
- C. Ashfak and A. Hareesh, "DTC of four switch three-phase inverter fed IM drive using ANN," 2015 International Conference on Power, Instrumentation, Control and Computing (PICC), 2015, pp. 1-7.
- Y. N. Tatte and M. V. Aware, "Torque Ripple and Harmonic Current Reduction in a Three-Level Inverter-Fed DTC Five-Phase IM," in IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 64, no. 7, pp. 5265-5275, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2017.2677346
- S. Payami, and A. Iqbal, "DTC of Three-Level NPC Inverter fed Five-Phase IM with Novel Neutral Point Voltage Balancing Scheme," in IEEE Trans. on Power Elect., vol. PP, no. 99, pp.1-10, 2017.
- K.-B. Lee and F. Blaabjerg, "An improved DTC-SVM method for sensorless matrix converter drives using an over modulation strategy and a simple nonlinearity compensation," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 3155-3166, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.905914
- A. Ammar, A. Bourek and A. Benakcha, "Implementation of robust SVM-DTC for induction motor drive using second order sliding mode control," 2016 8th International Conference on Modeling, Identification and Control (ICMIC), Algiers, 2016, pp. 338-343.
- F. Ben Salem and N. Derbel, "Investigation of SM DTC-SVM performances of IM control considering load disturbances effects," 2016 13th International Multi-Conference on Systems, Signals & Devices (SSD), Leipzig, 2016, pp. 59-65.
- F. Wang, W. Xie, and R. M. Kennel, "Model-Based Predictive Direct Control Strategies for Electrical Drives: An Experimental Evaluation of PTC and PCC Methods," in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 671-681, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2015.2423154
- C. Lascu, S. Jafarzadeh, and F. Blaabjerg, "Direct Torque Control With Feedback Linearization for IM Drives," in IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 2072-2080, March 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2016.2564943
- "Isolated Current Shunt and Voltage Measurement for Motor Drives Using," TIDU755-February 2015. Downloaded from: www.ti.com
- "Phase Voltage Reconstruction Based on the Qorivva Devices," Freescale Semiconductor, Application Note, Document Number: AN4762. Application Note. Rev 0, 10/2013.
- M. Zelechowski, "Space Vector Modulated DTC Inverter - Fed IM Drive," Ph.D. Thesis, Warsaw University of Technology, 2005.