- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Stochastic Stability Analysis of the Power System Incorporating Wind Power using Measurement Wind Data
- Parinya, Panom (The Joint Graduate School of Energy and Environment) ;
- Sangswang, Anawach (Department of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi) ;
- Kirtikara, Krissanapong (CES Solar Cells Testing Center, King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi) ;
- Chenvidhya, Dhirayut (CES Solar Cells Testing Center, King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi)
- Received : 2016.12.14
- Accepted : 2018.02.01
- Published : 2018.05.01
This paper proposes an alternative method to evaluate the effect of wind power to the power system stability with small disturbance. Alternatively, available techniques for stability analysis of a power system based on deterministic methods are less accurate for high penetration of wind power. Numerical simulations of random behaviors are computationally expensive. A stochastic stability index (SSI) is proposed for the power system stability evaluation based on the theory of stochastic stability and energy function, specifically the stochastic derivative of the relative well-defined energy function and the critical energy. The SSI is implemented on the modified nine-bus system including wind turbines under different conditions. A doubly-fed induction generator (DFIG) wind turbine is characterized and modeled using measured wind data from several sites in Thailand. Each of the obtained wind power data is analyzed. The wind power effect is modeled considering the aggregated effect of wind turbines. With the proposed method, the system behavior is properly predicted and the stability is quantitatively evaluated with less computational effort compared with conventional numerical simulation methods.
Supported by : Joint Graduate School of Energy and Environment (JGSEE), CES Solar Cells Testing Center (CSSC), King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi (KMUTT)
- U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), 2016 Wind Technologies Market Report, August 2017.
- Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC), Global Wind Report: Annual Market Update 2016.
- Joint Research Centre(JRC), JRC Wind Energy Status Report 2016 Edition, 2017.
- J.L. Rueda and F. Shewarega, "Small Signal Stability of Power Systems with Large Scale Wind Power Integration," in Proceedings of XIII Eriac Decimo Tercer Encuentro Regional Iberoamericano De CIGRE, Puerto Iguazu, Argentina, May 2009.
- Olimpo Anaya-Lara, Nick Jensens, Janaka Ekanayake, Phill Cartwright, Mike Hughes, Wind Energy Generation Modeling and Control, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., UK, 2009.
- T.R. Ayodele , A.A. Jimoh , J.L Munda, J.T Agee, "The Influence of Wind Power on the Small Signal Stability of a Power System," in Proceedings of International Conference on Renewable Energies and Power Quality (ICREPQ'11), Las Palmas, Spain, April 2011.
- S.Q. Bu, W. Du, H. F. Wang, Z. Chen, L. Y. Xiao and H. F. Li, "Probabilistic Analysis of Small-signal Stability of Large-scale Power Systems as Affected by Penetration of Wind Generation," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 27, No. 2, May 2012.
- R.C. Burchett and G. T. Heydt, "Probabilistic Methods for Power System Dynamic Stability Studies," IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. PAS-97, no. 3, May/June 1978.
- Bo Yuan, Ming Zhou, Gengyin Li, and Xiao-Ping Zhang, "Stochastic Small-Signal Stability of Power Systems With Wind Power Generation," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 30, July 2015.
- R. Billinton and W. Li, Reliability assessment of electric power systems using Monte Carlo methods, New York: Plenum Press, 1994.
- Z. Xu, Z. Y. Dong, and P. Zhang, "Probabilistic Small Signal Analysis using Monte Carlo Simulation," in Proceedings of Power Engineering Society General Meeting, IEEE, vol. 2, pp. 1658-1664, June 2005.
- Theresa Odun-Ayo, and Mariesa L. Crow, "Structure-Preserved Power System Transient Stability Using Stochastic Energy Functions," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 27, no. 3, August 2012.
- J.M. Morales, L. Baringo, A.J. Conejo, and R. Minguez, "Probabilistic power flow with correlated wind sources," IET Gener. Transm. Distrib., vol. 4, Iss. 5, pp. 641-651, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2009.0639
- Changjiang Jiang, Wei Zhao, Junyong Liu, Wuxing Liang, Bazargan Masoud, Xiaohui Lu, Tao Luo, Tao Meng, "A New Numerical Simulation for Stochastic Transient Stability Analysis of Power Systems Integrated Wind Power," in Proceedings of International Conference on Power System Technology (POWERCON 2014), Chengdu, China, Oct. 2014.
Wei Wu, , Keyou Wang, Guojie Li, and Yue Hu, "A Stochastic Model for Power System Transient Stability with Wind Power," in Proceedings of PES General Meeting
$\mid$Conference & Exposition 2014, IEEE, 27-31 July 2014.
- C.O. Nwankpa, S.M. Shahidehpour, "A stochastic model for small disturbance stability analysis of electric power systems, Electrical Power & Energy Systems, vol. 13, no. 3., 1991.
- Hadiza Mohammed, Chika O. Nwankpa, "Stochastic Analysis and Simulation of Grid-Connected Wind Energy Conversion System," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 15, no. 1, Mar 2000.
- Anawach Sangswang and Chika O. Nwankpa, Member IEEE, "Effects of Switching-Time Uncertainties on Pulsewidth-Modulated Power Converters: Modeling and Analysis," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems-I: Fundamental Theory and Applications, vol. 50, no. 8, August 2003.
- Zeev Schuss, Theory and Applications of Stochastic Processes: An Analytical Approach, New York : Springer, 2010.
- P. Parinya, A. Sangswang, K. Kirtikara, D. Chenvidhya, S. Naetiladdanon, C. Limsakul, "A Study of Impact of Wind Power to Power System Stability using Stochastic Stability Index," in Proceedings of 2014 IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS 2014), Melbourne, Australia, June 2014.
- P. W. Sauer and M. A. Pai, Power System Dynamic and Stability. New Jersey: Prentice Hall, 1998.
- Tony Burton, David Sharpe, Nick Jenkins, Ervin Bossanyi , Wind Energy Handbook, John Wiley & Sons, 2001.
- Isac Van der Hoven, "Power spectrum of horizontal wind speed in the frequency range from 0.0007 to 900 cycles per hour," Journal of Meteorology, vol. 14, pp. 160-4, 1956.
- Pedro Rosas, Dynamic Influences of Wind Power on The Power System, a Thesis document, Technical University of Denmark, 2003.
- Lulian Munteanu, Antoneta Luliana Bratcu, Nicoloas-Antonio Cutululis, Emil Ceanga, Optimal Control of Wind Energy Systems, Advances in Industrial Control, Springer-Verlag London Limited, UK, 2008.
- Louie Henry, "Characterizing and modeling aggregate wind plant power output in large systems," in Proceedings of IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting, Minesota, USA, July 2010.
- George J. Anders, Probability Concepts in Electric Power Systems, John Wiley & Sons, 1990.
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), Long-Term Wind Power Variability, Technical Report No. NREL/TP-5500-53637, January 2012.
- Atsushi Ishigame and Tsuneo Taniguchi, "Transient Stability Analysis for Power System Using Lyapunov Function with Load Characteristics," in Proceeding of Power Engineering Society General Meeting, IEEE, July 13-17, 2003.
- Glenn W. Stagg and Ahmed H. El-Abiad, Computer methods in power system analysis, McGraw-Hill, 1968.
- Hsiao-Dong Chiang, Direct Methods for Stability Analysis of Electric Power Systems : Theoretical Foundation, BCU Methodologies, and Applications, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., UK., 2011.
- M. A. Pai, Power System Stability Analysis by the Direct Method of Lyapunov, North-Holland Publishing Company, Amsterdam, 1981.
- M. Ribbens-Pavella, B. Lemal, "Fast determination of stability regions for online transient power-system studies," PROC. IEE, Vol.123, No.7, 1976.
- Measurement and Control Laboratory, Stochastic Systems, Swiss Federal Institue of Technology Zurich, April 14, 2011.
- Phil Napier-Moore, "Producing wind power in Thailand: Industry status and challenges," in Proceeding of Renewable Energy Asia 2014, June 4, 2014.