- Volume 13 Issue 3
Droop control schemes have been widely employed in the control strategies for Multi-Terminal Direct Current (MTDC) system for its high reliability. Under the conventional DC voltage-active power droop control, the droop slope applies a proportional relationship between DC voltage error and active power error for power sharing. Due to the existence of DC network impedance and renewable resource fluctuation, there is inevitably a DC voltage deviation from the droop characteristic, which in turn results in inaccurate control of converter's power. To tackle this issue, a piecewise droop control with DC voltage dead band or active power dead band is implemented into controller design. Besides, an advanced droop control scheme with versatile function is proposed, which enables the converter to regulate DC voltage and AC voltage, control active and reactive power, get participated into frequency control, and feed passive network. The effectiveness of the proposed control method has been verified by simulation results.
VSC;MTDC;Droop control;Power fluctuation;Frequency regulation;Dead band
- Li H, Liu C, Li G, et al. "An Enhanced DC Voltage Droop-Control for the VSC-HVDC Grid," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, pp. (99):1-1, 2017.
- Silva B, Moreira C L, Seca L, et al. “Provision of Inertial and Primary Frequency Control Services Using Offshore Multiterminal HVDC Networks,” IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, vol. 3, pp. 800-808, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2012.2199774
- L. Weixing and O. Boon-Teck, “Optimal acquisition and aggregation of offshore wind power by multiterminal voltage-source HVDC,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 18, pp. 201-206, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2002.803826
- J. Beerten and R. Belmans, "Development of an open source power flow software for high voltage direct current grids and hybrid AC/DC systems: MATACDC," IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, vol. 9, pp. 966-974, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2014.0545
- M. Araguees-Penalba, A. Egea-Alvarez, S. Galceran Arellano, and O. Gomis-Bellmunt, "Droop control for loss minimization in HVDC multi-terminal transmission systems for large offshore wind farms," Electric Power Systems Research, vol. 112, pp. 48-55, Jul 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2014.03.013
- B. Badrzadeh, "Power conversion systems for modern ac-dc power systems," European Transactions on Electrical Power, vol. 22, pp. 879-906, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1002/etep.611
- Yanbo Che, Wenxun Li, Xialin Li, et al, "An Improved Coordinated Control Strategy for PV System Integration with VSC-MVDC Technology," Energies, Vol. 10, pp. 1-14, 2017.
- Friends of the Supergrid, Supergrid Phase 1. Available: http://mainstreamdownloads.opendebate.co.uk/downloads/Supergrid-Phase-1-Final.pdf.
- H. Rao, "Architecture of Nan'ao multi-terminal VSC-HVDC system and its multi-functional control," CSEE Journal of Power and Energy Systems, vol. 1, pp. 9-18, 2015.
- M. A. Perez, S. Bernet, J. Rodriguez, S. Kouro, and R. Lizana, "Circuit Topologies, Modeling, Control Schemes, and Applications of Modular Multilevel Converters," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 30, pp. 4-17, Jan 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2310127
- C. D. Barker and R. Whitehouse, "Autonomous converter control in a multi-terminal HVDC system," in 2010. ACDC. 9th IET International Conference on AC and DC Power Transmission, 2010, pp. 1-5.
- J. Zhu, C. D. Booth, G. P. Adam, and A. J. Roscoe, "Coordinated direct current matching control strategy for multi-terminal DC transmission systems with integrated wind farms," Electric Power Systems Research, vol. 124, pp. 55-64, 7// 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2015.02.015
- T. Nakajima and S. Irokawa, "A control system for HVDC transmission by voltage sourced converters," in 1999 IEEE Power Engineering Society Summer Meeting, 1999, pp. 1113-1119 vol. 2.
- R. S. Whitehouse, "Technical Challenges of Realising Multi-terminal Networking with VSC," in Proceedings of the 2011-14th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications (Epe 2011), 2011.
- Beerten J, Cole S, Belmans R. "Modeling of Multi-Terminal VSC HVDC Systems With Distributed DC Voltage Control," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 29, pp. 34-42, 2013.
- T. M. Haileselassie and K. Uhlen, "Precise control of power flow in multiterminal VSC-HVDCs using DC voltage droop control," in 2012 IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting, 2012, pp. 1-9.
Supported by : China Southern Power Grid