- Volume 18 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Performance Evaluation and Optimization of Journaling File Systems with Multicores and High-Performance Flash SSDs
멀티코어 및 고성능 플래시 SSD 환경에서 저널링 파일 시스템의 성능 평가 및 최적화
- Received : 2018.02.22
- Accepted : 2018.03.14
- Published : 2018.04.28
Recently, demands for computer systems with multicore CPUs and high-performance flash-based storage devices (i.e., flash SSD) have rapidly grown in cloud computing, surer-computing, and enterprise storage/database systems. Journaling file systems running on high-performance systems do not exploit the full I/O bandwidth of high-performance SSDs. In this article, we evaluate and analyze the performance of the Linux EXT4 file system with high-performance SSDs and multicore CPUs. The system used in this study has 72 cores and Intel NVMe SSD, and the flash SSD has performance up to 2800/1900 MB/s for sequential read/write operations. Our experimental results show that checkpointing in the EXT4 file system is a major overhead. Furthermore, we optimize the checkpointing procedure and our optimized EXT4 file system shows up to 92% better performance than the original EXT4 file system.
Flash SSD;Multicore;Journaling File System
- Junbin Kang, Benling Zhang, Tianyu Wo, Chunming Hu, and Jinpeng Huai, "MultiLanes:Prociding Virtualized Storage for OS-level Virtualization on Many Cores," In Proceedings of the 12th USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies(FAST 14), 2014.
- Junbin Kang, Benlong Zhang, Tianyu Wo, Weiren Yu, Lian Du, Shuai Ma, and Jinpeng Huai, "SpanFA:A Scalable File System on Fast Storage Devices," In Proceedings of the 2014 Annual Technical Conference (ATC 15), 2015.
- Changwoo Min, jSanidhya Kashyap, Steffen Maass, Woonhak Kang, and Taesoo Kim, "Understanding Manycore Scalability of File Systems," In Preceedings of the 2016 Annual Technical Conference (ATC 16), 2016.
- A. Mathur, M. Cao, S. Bhattacharya, A. Dilger, A. Tomas, and L. Vivier, "The new ext4 filesystem: Current status and future plans," In Proceedings of the Linux Symposium, 2007.
- Sang-Won Lee, Bongki Moon, Chanik Park, Jae-Myung Kim, and Sang-Woo Kim, "A case for flash memory ssd in enterprise database applications," In Proceedings of the 2008 ACM SIGMOD international conference on Management of data (SIGMOD '08), 2008.
- Sangwhan Moon, Jaehwan Lee, Xiling Sun, and Yang-Suk Kee, "Optimizing the Hadoop MapReduce Framework with high-performance storage devices," Journal of Supercomputing, Vol.71, No.9, pp.3525-3548, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11227-015-1447-3
- Yongseok Son, Hara Kang, Hyuck Han, and Heon Young Yeom, "An empirical evalustion and analysis of the performance of NVM express solid state drive," Cluster Computing, Vol.19, No.3, pp.1541-1553, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10586-016-0591-8
- Stepen Tu, Wenting Zheng, Eddie Kohler, Barbara Liskov, and Samuel Madden, "Speedy transactions in multicore in-memory databases," In Proceedings of the Twenty-Fourth ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP 13), 2013.
- Wenting Zheng, Stephen Tu, Eddie Kohler, and Barbara Liskov, "Fast Databases with Fast Durability and Recovery Through Multicore Parallelism," In Proceedings of the 11th USENIX conference on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI 14), 2014.
- Xiang Song, Haibo Chen, Rong Chen, Yuanxuan Wang, and Binyu Zang, "A case for scaling applications to many-core with OS clustering," In Proceedings of the sixth conference on Computer systems (EuroSys 11), 2011.
- Silas Boyd-Wickizer, Austin T. Clements, Yandong Mao, Aleksey Pesterev, M. Frans Kaashoek, Robert Morris, and Nickolai Zeldovich, "An analysis of Linux scalability to many cores," In Proceedings of the USENIX conference on Operating systems design and implementation (OSDI 10), 2010.
- Austin T. Clements, M. Frans Kaashoek, and Nickolai Zeldovich, "RadixVM: scalable address spaces for multithreaded applications," In Proceedings of the 8th ACM European Conference on Computer Systems (EuroSys 13), 2013.
- A. R. Hagmann, "Reimplementing the Cedar file system using logging and group commit," SIGOPS Oper. Syst. Rev., Vol.21, No.5, pp.155-162, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1145/37499.37518
- Daejun Park and Dongkun Shin, "iJournaling:Fine-Grained Journaling for Improving the Latency of Fsync System Call," In Proceedings of the 2017 Annual Technical Conference (ATC 17), 2017.
Supported by : 동덕여자대학교