- Volume 22 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Application Studies on Structural Modal Identification Toolsuite for Seismic Response of Shear Frame Structure
SMIT를 활용한 지진하중을 받는 전단 구조물의 응답모드 특성에 관한 연구
- Chang, Minwoo (New Transportation Innovative Research Center, Korea Reailroad Research Institute)
- 장민우 (철도기술연구원 신교통혁신연구소)
- Received : 2018.02.21
- Accepted : 2018.04.25
- Published : 2018.04.30
The improvement in computing systems and sensor technologies devotes to conduct data-driven structural health monitoring algorithms for existing civil infrastructures. Despite of the development of techniques, the uncertainty oriented from the measurement results in the discrepancy to the actual structural parameters and let engineers or decision makers hesitate to adopt such techniques. Many studies have shown that the modal identification results can be affected by the uncertainties due to the applied methods and the types of loading. This paper aims to compare the performance of modal identification methods using Structural Modal Identification Toolsuite (SMIT) which has been developed to facilitate multiple identification methods with a user-friendly designed platform. The data fed into SMIT processes three stages for the comprehensive identification including preprocessing, eigenvalue estimation, and post-processing. The seismic and white noise response for shear frame model was obtained from numerical simulation. The identified modal parameters is compared to the actual modal parameters. In order to improve the quality of coherence in identified modal parameters, several hurdles including modal phase collinearity and extended modal amplitude coherence were introduced. Numerical simulation conducted on the 5 dof shear frame model were used to validate the effectiveness of using these parameters.
Supported by : 국토교통과학기술진흥원
- Stoica P. Introduction to spectral analysis. Prentice hall; c1997.
- Vicario F, Phan MQ, Betti R, Longman RW. Output‐only Observer/Kalman Filter Identification (O3KID). Structural Control and Health Monitoring. 2015 May 1;22(5):847-872. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.1719
- Chang PC, Flatau A, Liu SC. Health Monitoring of Civil Infrastructure. Structural Health Monitoring. 2003 Sep;2(3):257-267. https://doi.org/10.1177/1475921703036169
- Carden EP, Fanning P. Vibration Based Condition Monitoring:A Review. Structural Health Monitoring. 2004 Dec;3(4):355-377. https://doi.org/10.1177/1475921704047500
- Peeters B, De Roeck G. Reference-based Stochastic Subspace Identification for Output-only Modal Analysis. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing. 1999 Nov 1;13(6):855-878. https://doi.org/10.1006/mssp.1999.1249
- Flynn EB, Kpotufe S, Harvey D, Figueiredo E, Taylor S, Dondi D, Mollov T, Todd MD, Rosing TS, Park G, Farrar C. SHMTools: A New Mbeddable Software Package for SHM Applications. In Sensors and Smart Structures Technologies for Civil, Mechanical, and Aerospace Systems. International Society for Optics and Photonics. 2010 Apr 1;7647:764717.
- Reynders E, Schevenels M, De Roeck G. MACEC 3.2: A Matlab Toolbox for Experimental and Operational Modal Analysis. Leuven University, Belgium Google Scholar. c2011 Feb.
- Chang M, Leonard RL, Pakzad SN. Structural Modal Identification Toolsuite (SMIT). Lehigh University. c2012.
- Dorvash S, Pakzad SN. Effects of Measurement Noise on Modal Parameter Identification. Smart Materials and Structures. 2012 May 18;21(6):065008. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/21/6/065008
- Chaudhary MT, Abe M, Fujino Y, Yoshida J. System Identification of Two Base-isolated Bridges using Seismic Records. Journal of Structural Engineering. 2000 Oct;126(10):1187-1195. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2000)126:10(1187)
- Smyth AW, Pei JS, Masri SF. System Identification of the Vincent Thomas Suspension Bridge using Earthquake Records. Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics. 2003 Mar 1;32(3):339-367. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.226
- Beck JL, Jennings PC. Structural Identification using Linear Models and Earthquake Records. Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics. 1980 Jan 1;8(2):145-160. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290080205
- Pappa RS, Elliott KB, Schenk A. Consistent-mode Indicator for the Eigensystem Realization Algorithm. Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics. 1993 Sep;16(5):852-858. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.21092
- Yun GJ, Lee SG, Shang S. An Improved Mode Accuracy Indicator for Eigensystem Realization Analysis (ERA) Techniques. KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering. 2012 Mar 1;16(3):377-387. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-012-1236-y
- Farrar CR, Worden K. An Introduction to Structural Health Monitoring. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences. 2007 Feb 15;365 (1851):303-315. https://doi.org/10.1098/rsta.2006.1928
- Juang JN, Pappa RS. An Eigensystem Realization Algorithm for Modal Parameter Identification and Model Reduction. Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics. 1985 Sep;8(5):620-627. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.20031
- Juang JN. Applied system identification. Englewood Cliff's, NJ, USA: Prentice Hall; c1994. 394 p.
- Chang M, Pakzad SN. Observer Kalman Filter Identification for Output-only Systems using Interactive Structural Modal Identification Toolsuite. Journal of Bridge Engineering. 2013 Jul 4;19(5):04014002. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000530
- Juang JN, Cooper JE, Wright JR. An Eigensystem Realization Algorithm using Data Correlations (ERA/DC) for Modal Parameter Identification. Control Theory and Advanced Technology. 1988 Mar;4(1):5-14.
- James GH, Carne TG, Lauffer JP. The Natural Excitation Technique (NExT) for Modal Parameter Extraction from Operating Structures. Modal Analysis-the International Journal of Analytical and Experimental Modal Analysis. 1995 Oct 1;10(4):260.
- Naganuma T, Deodatis G, Shinozuka M. ARMA Model for Twodimensional Processes. Journal of Engineering Mechanics. 1987 Feb;113(2):234-251. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1987)113:2(234)
- Chen CW, Huang JK, Phan M, Juang JN. Integrated System Identification and State Estimation for Control Offlexible Space Structures. Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics. 1992 Jan;15(1):88-95. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.20805
- Pandit SM. Modal and Spectrum Analysis: Data Dependent Systems in State Space. Wiley-Interscience; c1991 Apr 25.
- Van Overschee P, De Moor B. N4SID: Subspace Algorithms for the Identification of Combined Deterministic-stochastic Systems. Automatica. 1994 Jan 1;30(1):75-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-1098(94)90230-5