- Volume 22 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Reservoir Vulnerability Based on Geological Structure Around Pohang Earthquake
포항지진 발생 주변지역 지질특성에 따른 저수지 취약성 해석
- Lim, Sung Keun (Rural Research Institute, Korea Rural Community Corporation) ;
- Song, Sung-Ho (Rural Research Institute, Korea Rural Community Corporation) ;
- Yu, Jaehyung (Department of geology and earth environmental sciences, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2018.02.20
- Accepted : 2018.04.09
- Published : 2018.04.30
A total of 594 reservoirs (17%), which are managed by KRC, equipped with earthquake-resistant facilities whereas remaining ones did not. In addition, reservoirs were placed without the effect of geological structures (i.e., fault and lineament). Therefore, development on technique for alleviating the potential hazards by natural disasters along faults and lineaments has required. In addition, an effective reinforcement guideline related to the geological vulnerabilities around reservoirs has required. The final goal of this study is to suggest the effective maintenance for the safety of earth fill dams. A radius 2 km, based on the center of the reservoir in the study area was set as the range of vulnerability impacts of each reservoir. Seismic design, precise safety diagnosis, seismic influence and geological structure were analyzed for the influence range of each reservoir. To classify the vulnerability of geological disasters according to the fault distribution around the reservoir, evaluation index of seismic performance, precise safety diagnosis, seismic influence and geological structure were also developed for each reservoir, which were a component of the vulnerability assessment of geological disasters. As a result, the reservoir with the highest vulnerability to geological disasters in the pilot district was analyzed as Kidong reservoir with an evaluation index of 0.364. Within the radius of 100km from the epicenter of the Pohang earthquake, the number of agricultural infrastructure facilities subject to urgent inspections were 1,180 including reservoirs, pumping stations and intakes. Four reservoirs were directly damaged by earthquake among 724 agricultural reservoirs. As a result of the precise inspection and electrical resistivity survey of the reservoir after the earthquake, it was reported that cracks on the crest of reservoirs were not a cause of concern. However, we are constantly monitoring the safety of agricultural facilities by Pohang aftershocks.
- Lee DS. Chemical composition of petrographic assemblages of igneous and relate rocks in southKorea. J. Korea. Inst. Mining Geol. 1977;10:75-92 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Song Y et al. Development of deep, low-enthalpy geothermal energy. Research Report OAA2003001-2006 (4). KIGAM. Korea. c2006 (in Korean).
- Jang BS, Im ES, Oh BH. Methodologies for survey and retrofit of small dams pierced by diversion tunnel. J. Korea Inst. for Structural Maintenance and Inspection. 2008;12:75-82 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Thannoun RG. Automatic extraction and geospatial analysis of lineaments and their tectonic significance in some areas of Northern Iraq using remote sensing techniques and GIS. International Journal of Enhanced Research In Science Technology & Engineering Bulletin, 2. c2013.
- Park SG, Kim JH, Seo GW. Application of electrical resistivity monitoring technique to maintenance of embankments. Geophys. and Geophys. Explor. 2005;8:177-183 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Korea rural community corporation, Statistical yearbook of agricultural production infrastructure maintenance. 2015 Ed. c2016 (in Korean).
- Wang CY, Manga M. Hydrologic responses to earthquakes and a general metric. Geofluids. 2010;10 (1-2):206-216. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-8123.2009.00270.x
- Bae SH. Urban change analysis using the 1:50,000 topographical map which is produced at 1910’s. Journal of the Korean Association of Geographic Information Studies. 2007;10 (3):93-103 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Hubbard BE, Mack TJ, Thompson AL. Lineament analysis of mineral areas of interest in Afghanistan. US Geological Survey. c2012 (No. 2012-1048).
- Kassou A, Essahlaoui A, Aissa M. Extraction of structural lineaments from satellite images landsat 7 ETM+ of tighza mining district (central morocco). Research Journal of Earth Sciences. 2012; 4 (2):44-48.