- Volume 22 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Seismic Behavior of Domestic Piloti-type Buildings Damaged by 2017 Pohang Earthquake
2017년 포항지진으로 피해를 입은 국내 필로티형 건물의 지진 거동
- Kim, Taewan (Department of Architectural Engineering, Kangwon National University) ;
- Chu, Yurim (Department of Architectural Engineering, Kangwon National University) ;
- Kim, Seung Re (Department of Architectural Engineering, Kangwon National University) ;
- Bhandari, Diwas (Department of Architectural Engineering, Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2018.02.07
- Accepted : 2018.04.05
- Published : 2018.04.30
Pohang earthquake occurred on November 15, 2017, with a magnitude of 5.4. The damage of the structure caused by the Pohang earthquake was the most significant in 4-story piloti-type buildings, where the damage patterns were different according to the location of columns and walls at the first story. One building with a staircase at a corner shows shear failure at columns, and Another building with a staircase in the middle shows no failure or shear failure at staircase walls. Therefore, two different piloti-type buildings were selected; one has a staircase at a corner and another has in the middle, and the seismic behavior of the buildings were examined by nonlinear dynamic analysis applying a ground motion measured at Pohang. Analytical model well simulated the actual behavior of the piloti-type buildings during the earthquake. Analysis results showed that walls have an insufficient shear strength wherever the location of the staircase is and columns with insufficient transverse reinforcement could be failed when the staircase is located at a corner. Conclusively, structural engineers should design columns and walls in piloti-type buildings to possess sufficient capacity according to the location of staircase.
Supported by : 강원대학교
- Yoo CH, Kim TW, Chu YR. Seismic Performance Evaluation of Smallsize Pilloti-type Reinforced Concrete Buildings using Nonlinear Dynamic Analysis. Journal of the Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea. 2016;20(4):191-199. https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2016.20.4.191
- Kim DH, Kim TW, Chu YR. Collapse Probability of a Low-rise Pilotytype Building Considering Domestic Seismic Hazard. Journal of the Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea. 2016;20(7):485-494. https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2016.20.7.485
- RMS. Chi-Chi, Taiwan Earthquake (Event report). Risk management solutions, Inc. c2000.
- Danish K, Aruna R. Nonlinear Seismic Analysis of Masonry Infill RC Buildings with Eccentric Bracings at Soft Storey Level. Scinece Direct. World multidisciplinary civil engineering-architecture-urban planning symposium 2016 (WMCAUS 2016), Procedia engineering. 161(2016);9-17.
- PEER Report. Preliminary Reconnaissance Report on Building Damage (2016 Kumamoto earthquake). Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center (PEER). 2016;7-10.
- Emrah E. Assessment of Current Nonlinear Static Procedures on the Estimation of Torsional Effects in Low-rise Frame Buildings. Scinece Direct. Engineering structures. 30(2008):2548-2558. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2008.02.008
- CSI. Perform-3D, Nonlinear Analysis and Performance Assessment for 3D Sturctures. user guide version 5. Berkeley. CA: Computers and Structures Inc. c2011.
- AIK. Guidelines for Performance-based Seismic Design of Residential Buildings. 2016;13-33.
- ASCE. Seismic Evaluation and Retrofit of Existing Buildings (ASCE/ SEI 41-13). American Society of Civil engineers, Reston, Virginia. c2013.
- AIK. KBC 2016, Korean Building Code-structural. Seoul, Korea; codestructural. c2016.
- BSSC. NEHRP Recommended Provisions for Seismic Regulations for New Buildings and Other Structures (FEMA 450). 2003 Edition. Part 2: Commentary. The Building Seismic Safety Council. 2003;317-330.
- Investigation of Structural Damage in Bearing Wall Buildings with Pilotis by 2017 Pohang Earthquake vol.23, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2019.23.1.009
- Considerations for Seismic Design of Low-Rise Residential Bearing Wall Buildings with Pilotis vol.23, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2019.23.1.031