- Volume 22 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Seismic Performance of Steel Industrial Storage Racks Subjected to Korea Earthquakes
국내 발생지진에 의한 물류창고 강재 적재설비의 내진성능 평가
- Jeon, Jong-Su (Department of Civil Engineering, Andong National University) ;
- Choi, Hyoungsuk (Korea Construction Engineering Development Collaboratory Management Institute) ;
- Seo, Youngdeuk (Korea Construction Engineering Development Collaboratory Management Institute) ;
- Kim, Chunggil (Department of International Civil and Plant Engineering, Konyang University) ;
- Heo, Gwanghee (Department of International Civil and Plant Engineering, Konyang University)
- 전종수 (안동대학교 토목공학과) ;
- 최형석 (국토교통연구인프라운영원) ;
- 서영득 (국토교통연구인프라운영원) ;
- 김충길 (건양대학교 해외건설플랜트학과) ;
- 허광희 (건양대학교 해외건설플랜트학과)
- Received : 2018.02.23
- Accepted : 2018.03.29
- Published : 2018.04.30
This study experimentally and analytically examines the seismic vulnerability of steel rack storage frames subjected to Korea earthquakes (2016 Gyeongju earthquake and 2017 Pohang earthquake). To achieve this aim, this study selects a three-story, one-bay steel rack frame with a typical configuration of rack frame in Korea. Firstly, the local behavior for frame components is examined by performing monotonic and/or cyclic load tests and the global response and dynamic characteristics of the subject rack frame are investigated by conducting a shaking table test. The analytical model of the rack frame is then created based on the experimental results and is used to perform nonlinear time history analyses with recorded Korea earthquakes. The seismic demand of the rack frame is considerably affected by the spectral acceleration response, instead of peak ground accelerations (peak floor accelerations). Moreover, the collapse fragility curve of the rack frame is developed using incremental dynamic analyses for the Gyeongju and Pohang earthquakes. Fragility results indicate that the ground motion characteristics of these earthquakes do not significantly affect the frame vulnerability at the collapse state.
Supported by : 국토교통과학기술진흥원
- Dragan D, Momcilo M. Some Safety Aspects of Pallet Racks. 1st Logistics International Conference, Belgrade, Serbia. c2012 Nov. 184p.
- EUR 23744. Storage Racks in Seismic Areas. European Commision. c2009.
- FEM 10.2.02. The Design of Static Steel Pallet Racking. European Racking Federation (ERF). c2009.
- Rack Manufacturers Institute (RMI). Specification for the Design, Testing and Utilization of Industrial Steel Storage Rack. Material Handling Industry. MH16.1-2012. Charlotte, NC.
- EN 15512. Steel Static Storage Systems-Adjustable Pallet Racking Systems-Principles for Structural Design. European Committee for Standardization, Brussels, Belgium. c2009.
- Standards Australia. Steel Storage Racking. AS4084. Sydney, Australia. c2012.
- KDS 41 10 15. Design Loads. Korea Construction Standard.
- Saritas A, Koseoglu A. Distributed In-elasticity Planar Frame Element with Localized Semi-rigid Connections for Nonlinear Analysis of Steel Structures. Int. J. Mech. Sci. 2015 Jun;96-97:216-231. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2015.04.005
- JIS Z 0620. Industrial Racks. Japanese Standards Association. c1998.
- Bograd S, Reuss P, Schmidt A, Gaul L, Mayer M. Modeling the Dynamics of Mechanical Joints. Mech. Syst. Signal Process. 2011 Nov; 25(8):2801-2826. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2011.01.010
- KS T 2027:2009. Industrial Racks. Korean Agency for Technology and Standards. ICS 53.080. c2014.
- FEMA 460. Seismic Considerations for Steel Storage Racks Located in Areas Accessible to the Public. Building Seismic Safety Council, Federal Emergency Management Agency. c2005.
- Carlo AC. Seismic Behavior of Steel Storage Pallet Racking Systems. Springer; c2016, p. 11-19.
- Yun DW, Jeon JS, Kim CG, Kim MU. Static Tests for the Seismic Design of the Steel Storage Racks. Proceedings of EESK Conference 2017, Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea. c2017
- de Lima LRO, de Andrade SAL, da S. Vellasco PCG, da Silva LS. Experimental and Mechanical Model for Predicting the Behaviour of Minor Axis Beam-to-column Semi-rigid Joints. Int. J. Mech. Sci. 2002 Jun;44(6):1047-1065. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7403(02)00013-9
- Markazi FD, Beale RG, Godley MHR. Experimental Analysis of Semirigid Boltless Connectors. Thin-walled struct. 1997 May;28(1):57-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8231(97)00003-7
- Bernuzzi C, Castiglioni CA. Experimental Analysis on the Cyclic Behaviour of Beam-to-column Joint Sin Steel Storage Pallet Racks. Thin-Walled Struct. 2001 Oct;39(10):841-859. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8231(01)00034-9
- Bajoria KM, Talikoti RS. Determination of Flexibility of Beam to Column Connectors used in Thin Walled Cold Formed Steel Pallet Racking Systems. Thin-walled Struct. 2006 Mar;44(3):372-380. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2006.01.007
- Sleczka L, Kozlowski A. Experimental and Theoretical Investigations of Pallet Racks Connections. Adv. Steel Constr. 2007;3(2):607-627.
- Kozlowski A, Sleczka L. Preliminary Component Method Model of Storage Rack Joint. In: Proc. Connections in Steel Structures V2004. Amsterdam.
- Filiatrault A, Higgins PS, Wanitkorkul A, Courtwright J. Experimental Stiffness of Pallet Type Steel Storage Rack Tear Drop Connectors. Practice Periodical on Structural Design and Construction. 2007 Nov;12(4):210-215. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0680(2007)12:4(210)
- Yuil F. A Co. Ltd. Homepage [Internet]. Pallet Rack Product. Available from: http://www.yuilfa.co.kr/02/view.php?category=1&uid=1.
- AC156:2010. Acceptance Criteria for Seismic Certification by Shaketable Testing of Nonstructural Components. International Code Council Evaluation Service. c2015.
- FEMA 356. Prestandard and Commentary for the Seismic Rehabilitation of Buildings. Federal Emergency Management Agency. c2000.
- Eriten M, Kurt M, Luo G, McFarland MD, Bergman LA, Vakakis AF. Nonlinear System Identification of Frictional Effects in a Beam with a Bolted Joint Connection. Mech. Syst. Signal Process. 2013 Aug-Sep; 39(1-2):245-264. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2013.03.003
- John A. Blume & Associates. Seismic Investigation of Steel Industrial Storage Racks. Report prepared for the Rack Manufacturer's Institute, San Francisco. CA, c1973.
- Korea Meteorological Administration. Available from: http://web.kma.go.kr.
- Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources. Available from: http://www.kigam.re.kr.
- Lee DH, Jeon J-S. Seismic Performance Assessment of a Mid-rise RC Building Subjected to 2016 Gyeongju Earthquake. EESK J. Earthquake Eng 2016 Dec;20(7):473-483.
- Vamvatsikos D, Cornell AC. Incremental Dynamic Analysis. Earthquake Eng. Struct. Dyn. 2002 Mar;31(3):491-514. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.141
- McKenna F. OpenSees: A Framework for Earthquake Engineering Simulation. Comput. Sci. Eng. 2011 July-Aug;13(4):58-66.
- Lowes LN, Altoontash A. Modeling Reinforced Concrete Beam-column Joints Subjected to Cyclic Loading. J. Struct. Eng. 2003 Dec;129(12): 1686-1697. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2003)129:12(1686)