- Volume 22 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Application of Hydrodynamic Pressure for Threedimensional Earthquake Safety Analysis of Dam Intake Towers
댐 취수탑 3차원 내진안전성 평가에서의 동수압 적용방법에 관한 연구
- Song, Gwang-Seok (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Dongguk University-Seoul) ;
- Min, Kyoung-Uk (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Dongguk University-Seoul) ;
- Bea, Jungju (Korea Infrastructure Safety Corporation) ;
- Lee, Jeeho (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Dongguk University-Seoul)
- Received : 2018.02.19
- Accepted : 2018.03.28
- Published : 2018.04.30
In the present study, effective hydrodynamic pressure modeling methods for three-dimensional earthquake safety analysis of a dam intake tower structure are investigated. Time history analysis results using the Westergaard added mass and Chopra added mass methods are compared with the one by the CASI (Coupled Acoustic Structural Interaction) method, which is accepted as giving almost exact solutions, to evaluate the difference in displacement response, stress and dynamic eccentricity. The 3D time history analysis of a realistic intake tower, which has the standard geometry widely used in Korea, shows that the Chopra added mass method gives similar results in displacement and stress and less conservative results in dynamic eccentricity to CASI ones, while the Westergaard added mass yields much more conservative results in all measures. This study suggests to use the CASI method directly for three-dimensional earthquake safety analysis of a dam intake tower, if computationally possible.
Earthquake safety;Intake tower;Hydrodynamic pressure;Added mass;Fluid-structure interaction;Acoustic element
Supported by : 한국시설안전공단
- Dassault SystSms. Abaqus 6.13 Analysis User's Manual. Dassault Systems. USA. c2013.
- Westergaard HM. Water pressure on dams during earthquake. Transaction of the American Society of Civil Engineers. 1933;98: 418-433.
- Chopra AK, Goyal A. Earthquake analysis and response of intakeoutlet towers, EERC-89/04, University of California at Berkeley. c1989.
- Muto M, Gersdorff N, Duron Z, Knarr M. Effective modeling of dam-Reservoir interaction effects using acoustic finite elements. USSD Conference: Innovative Dam and Levee Design and Construction for Sustainable Water Management. LA, USA. 2012;1161-1167.
- Chopra AK, Liaw CY. Earthquake resistant design of intake-outlet towers. Journal of Structural Division. ASCE. 1975;101:1349-1366.
- USACE. Structural Design and Evaluation of Outlet Works. EM 1110-2-2400. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. c2003.
- USACE. Earthquake Design and Evaluation of Concrete Hydraulic Structures. EM 1110-2-6053. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. c2007.
- Ministry of Environment. Waterway facilities standard, Korean Association of Waterway and Sewage. c2010.
- Ministry of Environment. Research for provision of seismic design standard of waterway facilities. Ministry of Environment. c1999.
- KISTEC. Seismic capacity evaluation and retrofitting manual for existing dams (draft). Korea Infrastructure Safety and Technology Corporation. c2011.
- NISA. Seismic capacity investigation on power generation facilities. Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency of Japan. c2012.
- MOLIT. Dam design standard, Ministry of Land. Infrastructure and Transport. c2011.