- Volume 22 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Earthquake Damage Assessment of Buildings Using Opendata in the Pohang and the Gyeongju Earthquakes
Opendata 기반 포항 및 경주지진에 의한 건물손상 평가
- Received : 2018.02.19
- Accepted : 2018.03.27
- Published : 2018.04.30
Severe earthquakes can cause damage to society both socially and economically. An appropriate initial response can alleviate damage from severe earthquakes. In order to formulate an appropriate initial response, it is necessary to identify damage situations in societies; however, it is difficult to grasp this information immediately after an earthquake event. In this study, an earthquake damage assessment methodology for buildings is proposed for estimating damage situations immediately after severe earthquakes. A response spectrum database is constructed to provide response spectra at arbitrary locations from earthquake measurements immediately after the event. The fragility curves are used to estimate the damage of the buildings. Earthquake damage assessment is performed from the response spectrum database at the building scale to provide enhanced damage condition information. Earthquake damage assessment for Gyeongju city and Pohang city were conducted using the proposed methodology, when an earthquake occurred on September 12, 2016, and November 15, 2017. Results confirm that the proposed earthquake damage assessment effectively represented the earthquake damage situation in the city to decide on an appropriate initial response by providing detailed information at the building scale.
Earthquake damage assessment;Pohang earthquake;Gyeongju earthquake;Response spectrum
- Tseng CP, Chen CW. Natural Disaster Management Mechanisms for Probabilistic Earthquake Loss. Natural Hazards. 2012;60(3):1055-1063. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11069-011-9889-2
- Bruneau M, Chang SE, Eguchi RT, et al. A Framework to Quantitatively Assess and Enhance the Seismic Resilience of Communities. Earthquake Spectra. 2003;19(4):733-752. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1623497
- Ferreira TM, Maio R, Vicente R, Costa A. Earthquake Risk Mitigation: The Impact of Seismic Retrofitting Strategies on Urban Resilience. International Journal of Strategic Property Management. 2016;20(3):291-304. https://doi.org/10.3846/1648715X.2016.1187682
- Sahar L, Muthukumar S, French SP. Using Aerial Imagery and GIS in Automated Building Footprint Extraction and Shape Recognition for Earthquake Risk Assessment of Urban Inventories. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing. 2010;48(9):3511-3520. https://doi.org/10.1109/TGRS.2010.2047260
- Scawthorn C, Blais N, Seligson H, Tate E, Mifflin E, Thomas W, Murphy J, Jones C. HAZUS-MH Flood Loss Estimation Methodology. I: Overview and Flood Hazard Characterization. Natural Hazards Review. 2006;2(60):60-71.
- Frigerio I, Ventura S, Strigaro D, et al.A GIS-based Approach to Identify the Spatial Variability of Social Vulnerability to Seismic Hazard in Italy. Applied Geography. 2016;74:12-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apgeog.2016.06.014
- Eem SH, Yang BJ, Jeon H. Simplified Methodology for Urban Flood Damage Assessment at Building Scale Using Opendata. JCR 2018 Accepted.
- Davies T, Sharif RM, Alonso JM. Open Data Barometer Global Report. World Wide Web Foundation and Data Institute. c2015.
- Canares M, Maail G, Pawelke A, Robinsonl K. Open Data Barometer Regional Report: East Asia and the Pacific. World Wide Web Foundation. c2016.
- Song TJ. Information Inside: National Earthquake Comprehensive Information System, Convergence of Earthquake and IT. Local Informatization. 2014;87:42-45.
- Eem SH, Jung HJ, Kim MK, Choi IK. Seismic Fragility Evaluation of Isolated NPP Containment Structure Considering Soil-structure Interaction Effect. Journal of the Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea. 2013;17(2):53-59. https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2013.17.2.053
- Shinozuka M, Feng MQ, Lee J, Naganuma T. Statistical Analysis of Fragility Curves. Journal of Engineering Mechanics. 2000;126(12): 1224-1231. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2000)126:12(1224)
- National Emergency Management Agency. Development of seismic fragility function for buildings in Korea. Report. c2009.
- Architectural institute of Korea, CODE, Korea Building, Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime. c2009.
- Bai JW, Hueste MD, Gardoni P. Probabilistic Assessment of Structural Damage due to Earthquakes for Buildings in Mid-america. Journal of Structural Engineering. 2009;135(10):1155-1163. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2009)135:10(1155)
- Korea Meteorological Administration. Earthquake Notification - 2016. 9.12 20:37. Official notice. c2016.
- The U.S. Geological Survey [Internet]. [cited 2018 Feb 6]. Available from: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/e
- Central Disaster Safety Measures Headquarters, Press Releases: Recovery cost of Pohang earthquake. c2017 Dec 6.
Grant : 복합자연재해 리스크 평가 기술 개발