- Volume 22 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Seismic Response Analysis of Nuclear Power Plant Structures and Equipment due to the Pohang Earthquake
포항지진에 대한 원자력발전소 구조물 및 기기의 지진응답분석
- Eem, Seung-Hyun (Structural and Seismic Safety Research Team, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Choi, In-Kil (Structural and Seismic Safety Research Team, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute)
- Received : 2018.02.19
- Accepted : 2018.03.14
- Published : 2018.04.30
The probabilistic seismic safety assessment is one of the methodology to evaluate the seismic safety of the nuclear power plants. The site characteristics of the nuclear power plant should be reflected when evaluating the seismic safety of the nuclear power plant. The Korea seismic characteristics are strong in high frequency region and may be different from NRC Regulatory Guide 1.60, which is the design spectrum of nuclear power plants. In this study, seismic response of a nuclear power plant structure by Pohang earthquake (2017.11.15. (KST)) is investigated. The Pohang earthquake measured at the Cheongsong seismic observation station (CHS) is scaled to the peak ground acceleration (PGA) of 0.2 g and the seismic acceleration time history curve corresponding to the design spectrum is created. A nuclear power plant of the containment building and the auxiliary buildings are modeled using OPENSEES to analyze the seismic response of the Pohang earthquake. The seismic behavior of the nuclear power plant due to the Pohang earthquake is investigated. And the seismic performances of the equipment of a nuclear power plant are evaluated by the HCLPF. As a result, the seismic safety evaluation of nuclear power plants should be evaluated based on site-specific characteristics of nuclear power plants.
Pohang earthquake;Nuclear power plant;Floor response spectrum;Seismic analysis
Supported by : 한국에너지기술평가원(KETEP)
- Choi IK. Review and Proposal for Seismic Safety Assessment of Nuclear Power Plants Against Beyond Design Basis Earthquake. Transactions of the Korean Society of Pressure Vessels and Piping. 2017;13(1):1-15. https://doi.org/10.20466/KPVP.2017.13.1.001
- The U.S. Geological Survey [Internet]. [cited 2018 Feb 6]. Available from: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/e
- Bommer JJ, Martinez-Pereira A. The Effective Duration of Earthquake Strong Motion. Journal of Earthquake Engineering 1999; 3(2):127-172. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469909350343
- ASCE. Seismic Analysis of Safety-Related Nuclear Structures and Commentary. ASCE Standard 4-98, c1999.
- Lee CH, Park JH, Kim T, Kim SY, Kim DK. Damage Potential Analysis and Earthquake Engineering-related Implications of Sep. 12, 2016 M5.8 Gyeongju Earthquake. EESK J. Earthquake Eng. 2016 Dec;20(7):527-536.
- XU JIM. Probabilistic Computer Analysis for Rapid Evaluation of Structures. Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States). c2007.
- Reed JW, Kennedy RP. Methodology for Developing Seismic Fragilities, EPRI TR-103959. c1994.
- Korea Meteorological Administration. Earthquake notification - 2017. 11.15. Official notice. c2017.
- Central Disaster Safety Measures Headquarters, Press Releases: Recovery cost of Pohang earthquake; c2017 Dec 6.
- Choi IK, Kim J, Park J, Kim M, Jeon J. Transactions of the Korean Nuclear Society Spring Meeting. Seismic Fragility Reevaluation of SSCs in NPP with Site-specific Response Spectrum. May 18-19; Jeju Korea. c2017.
- Sursock J. Seismic Probabilistic Risk Assessment Implementation Guide. EPRI Report 3002000709. c2013.
- US Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Regulatory Guide 1.60: Design Response Spectra for Seismic Design of Nuclear Power Plants. c2014.