- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
'Son of God' : Perception and Experience on Military Service Exception of Male Dancers in Korea
'신의 아들': 남성 무용수들의 병역특례 인식과 경험
- Kwon, Yea-Jin (Graduate School, Korea National Sport University) ;
- Lee, Jong-Young (Community Sport, Korea National Sport University)
- Received : 2018.03.14
- Accepted : 2018.04.20
- Published : 2018.04.28
The purpose of this study is to ponder men's perception and experience of military service revealed in Korean society by looking into the military service exception cases of a Korean male dancer. this study used non-participation observation, in-depth interviews and bibliographic data, etc. targeting a total of 6 persons covering 3 male dances who received military service privileges by winning a prize at home & overseas dance concours, and another 3 male dancers who fulfilled military duties. Then, this study did a qualitative analysis of the collected data. The deducted results through this process are as follows: First, all the surveyed male dancers consented to the necessity of military service as Korean people, but it was found that they wished to get miliary service privileges in order to maintain the career they actually had achieved. Second, the male dancers, who fulfilled military service, were found to make endless effort to catch up with the tendencies of dance suited for the relevant period after returning to society due to career discontinuity and social severance caused in the process of fulfilling military service.
- Y. K. Yun & J. Y. Jeon. (2010). Psychological Influences of Experience in Olympic Participation. Korean Journal of Sport Psychology, 21(3), 93-109.
- Military Manpower Administration.(2018). Selective service. http://www.mma.go.kr/
- National Law Information Center(2018). http://www.law.go.kr
- D. H. Kim & M. J. Sung. (2015). Improving military sport policy for young talented athletes. The Korean Association of Sports Law, 18(3), 51-73.
- S. J. Yun. (2008). Ballerino and military service exception. segyeilbo. retired from http://www.segye.com/newsView/20080121002074
- S. J. Shon.(2011). A legal study on the special case of military service in athletes. Journal of Korean Society of Sport Policy, 9(2), 109-121.
- J. K. Lee & J. S. Yang. (2015) Theoretical Perspectives of Justice on the Military Service Privileges of Korean Athletes. Korean journal of physical educationn, 54(6), 63-79.
- H. J. Lee. (2017). Measures to Secure Equity of the Special Case of Military Service for Athletes. The Korean Association of Sports Law, 20(1), 71-95.
- J. H. Moon. (2011). A Study on the Status of the Korean Government Dance Contest. Master's degree. Daejin University, Pocheon.
- B. C. Jin. (2014). A Proposal for Improving Military Service Exemption for Dancers. Master's degree. Kyung Hee University, Seoul.
- Patton, M. Q.(2002). Qualitative Research and Evaluation Methods (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Y. C. Kim (2006). qualitative researchmethodology 1, Seoul: Moonumsa.
- Glesne, C.(2006). Becoming qualitative researcher: An introduction (p. 6). White Plain, NY: Longman
- Denzin, N. K. & Lincoln, Y. S.(2011). The sage handbook of qualitative research (4th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Creswell, J. W.(2013). Qualitative inquiry and research design: Choosing among five approaches. Sage.
- S. J. Kang(2008). 'Abolishment of military service for Korean dance concours' Diffuse repulsion of dance Academia. The Dong-A Ilbo. retired from http://news.donga.com/3/all/20080116/8534067/1
- M. S. Park, H. S. Tae & B. C. Jin. (2014).A Proposal for Improving Military Service Exemption for Dancers. The Korean Association of Sports Law, 17(2), 195-237.
- S. Y. Lee, Y. W. Choi & S. W. Hwang. (2017). The Relationship with the Motivation, Anxiety, and Achievement while Dance Major Students are Participating in Concours. Official Journal of the Korean Society of Dance Science, 34(2), 1-15. https://doi.org/10.21539/ksds.2017.34.1.1
- H. J. Kim & Y. K. Yun. (2017). Psychological capitals arisen from an olympic medal. Korean Journal of Sport Science, 28(2), 461-473. https://doi.org/10.24985/kjss.2017.28.2.461