- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Influencing Factors on Performance for Standard Precaution of Healthcare Workers of General Hospital for Infection Control
종합병원 의료종사자의 감염관리 표준주의 수행도 영향요인
- Oh, Ji Eun (College of Nursing, Konyang University) ;
- Park, Ju Young (College of Nursing, Konyang University)
- Received : 2018.02.12
- Accepted : 2018.04.20
- Published : 2018.04.28
The purpose of this study is analyze the factors affecting the standard precaution(SP) performance on the knowledge, awareness, attitude and safety environment for SP of healthcare workers of general hospitals. The research method was a descriptive research study. The subject were 262 of healthcare workers of general hospitals. The data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, t-test, Chi-square test, ANOVA, Person's correlation coefficient and Multiple regression analysis using the SPSS program. As a result of the correlation analysis SP Performance was positively correlated with attitude (r=.18, p=.003), safety environment (r=.42, p<.001) and awareness (r=.63, p<.001). As a result of the stepwise multiple regression analysis on the factors influencing SP performance were SP awareness and safety environment. Therefore, in order to improved performance of SP, it's important to improve a awareness and safety environment of SP. Different and persistent infection management educational programs that consider the occupational characteristics and monitoring are required.
- Korean Society for Healthcare-associated Infection Control and Prevention. (2010). Nosocomial Infection Control(3rd). Seoul : Hanmi medical publishing co.
- J. S. Jeong, J. W. Choi, S. H. Lee & Y. S. Kim. (2003). Hand hygiene effects measured by hand culture in intensive care unit. The Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 5(2), 21-30.
- Korean Association of Infection Control Nurses. (2006). Text of Infection Control(1st). Seoul : Hyunmoon corporation.
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2010). http://www.cdc.go.kr.
- Centers Disease Control and Prevention. (2011). 2011 Guideline for Isolation precaution : Preventing Transmission of Infectious Agents in Healthcare Setting from CDC. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/pdf/isoldation2011.pdf
- P. Nagliate, P. C. Nogueira, S. Godoy & I. A. Mendes. (2013). Measures of knowledge about standard precaution: a literature review in nursing. Nurse Eduction in Practice, 13(4), 244-9. DOI : 10.1016/j.nepr.2013.02.011 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2013.02.011
- O. M. Kweon et. al. (2012). A three-year study of the effectiveness of hand-hygiene protocol implementation at a university hospital. Korean Journal of Nosocomial Infection Control, 17(2), 53-60.
- E. M. Beltrami, I. T. Williams, C. N. Shapiro & M. E. Chamberland. (2000). Risk and management of blood-borne infections in health care workers. Clinical Microbiology Review. 13(3), 385-407. DOI : 10.1128/CMR.13.3.385-407.2000. https://doi.org/10.1128/CMR.13.3.385-407.2000
- S. Osborne. (2003). Influences on compliance with standard precautions among operating room nurses. American Journal of Infection Control, 31(7), 415-423. DOI : 10.1067/mic.2003.68 https://doi.org/10.1067/mic.2003.68
- G. Ji, H. Yin & Y. Chen. (2005). Prevalence of and risk factors for non-compliance with glove utilization and hand hygiene among obstetrics and gynecology workers in rural China. The Journal of Hospital Infection, 59(3), 235-241. DOI : 10.1016/j.jhin.2004.09.027 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2004.09.027
- G. Bennett & I. Mansell. (2004). Universal precautions : a survey of community nurses' experience and practice. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 13(4), 1017-1019. DOI : 10.1046/j.1365-2702.2003.00889.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2702.2003.00889.x
- D. L. Taylor. (2006). Bloodborne pathogen exposure in the OR what research has taught us and where we need to go. Association of Operating Room Nurses Journal, 83(4), 834-838. DOI : 10.1016/s0001-2092(06)60004-5 https://doi.org/10.1016/s0001-2092(06)60004-5
- R. Chan et al. (2002). Nurses' knowledge of and compliance with universal precautions in an acute care hospital. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 39(2), 157-163. DOI : 10.1016/S0020-7489(01)00021-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7489(01)00021-9
- G. L. Jo. (2007). Influencing factors on the compliance about standard precautions among ICU and ER nurses. Unpublished master's thesis. Seoul University. Seoul.
- L. Temime, L. Opatowski, Y. Pannet, C. Brun-Buisson, P. Y. Boelle & D. Guillemot. (2009). Peripatetic health-care workers as potential superspreaders. Journal of American Proceeding of the National Aademy of Sciences, 106, 18420-18425. DOI:10.1073/pnas.0900974106 https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0900974106
- B. H. Kim. (2003). A study on the degrees of awareness and performance of the hospital infection control among clinical nurses in a middle-sized and in a small-sized hospital. Unpublished master's thesis. Yonsei University. Seoul.
- Y. H. Seo. (2009). Influencing factors on the hospital nurses' compliance with standard precautions for infection control. Unpublished master's thesis. Eulji University. Daejeon.
- M. H. Seong, N. L. Kim & H. Y. Choi. (2007). Factors influencing performance of the nurses about the management of nosocomial infection. Journal of Korean Association of Occupational Health Nurses, 16(1), 5-14.
- K. A. Lee, H. S. Kim, Y. W. Lee & O. K. Ham. (2012). Factors influencing compliance with standard precautions in intensive care unit and emergency room nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. 19(3), 302-312. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.3.302
- S. Y. Jeong. (2011). Standard precaution guideline among recent isolation guideline. Korean Society for Nosocomial Infection Control 13th Conference, 3-8.
- A. L. Choi. (2005). Recognition and performance of the clinical nurses about the management of nosocomial infection. Unpublished master's thesis. Ewha Womans University. Seoul.
- I. Y. Kim. (2012). A comparative study of nurses' knowledge, safety environment and compliance of standard precaution for infection control between university hospitals and general hospitals. Unpublished master's thesis. Inje University. Kyungnam.
- K. A. Lee. (2011). Knowledge, attitude and compliance with standard precautions among intensive care unit and emergency room nurse. Unpublished master's thesis. Inha University. Incheon.
- M. Askarian, B. Honarvar, H. R. Tabatabaee & O. Assadian. (2004). Knowledge, practice and attitude towards standard isolation precautions in Iranian medical students. Journal of Hospital Infection, 58, 292-296. DOI : 10.1016/j.jhin.2004.07.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2004.07.004
- Y. S. Kim. (2008). A study for nosocomial infection control in the emergency rooms. Foundation for Industry Cooperation. Ulsan of University. Seoul : KCDC.
- E. H. Jeong. (2011). Awareness and performance for the standard precautions among outpatient clinics nursing staffs in a university-affiliated hospital. Unpublished master's thesis. Ulsan University. Ulsan.
- M. H. Hong. (2015). Nurses' perception of accreditation, awareness and performance of the infection control in an accredited healthcare system. Unpublished master's thesis. Konyang University. Daejeon.
- K. H, Yang. (2010). Awareness and performance of the nurses to standard precautions for infection control in a university hospital. Unpublished master's thesis. Chonbuk University, Jeonju.
- S. Y. Joung. (2011). Current status of blood and body fluids exposure of nurses in special departments and associated factors of compliance with standard precautions. Unpublished master's thesis. Chosun University, Gwangju.
- K. H. Lee, J. O. Choi, K. S. Lee, J. A. Hur & T. Y. Hwang. (2014). Nurses knowledge, attitude, and compliance with hospital infection standard precautions. Korean Society of Hospital Management. 19(2), 33-42.
- R. R. Gershon et al. (2000). Hospital safety climate and its relationship with safe work practices and workplace exposure incidents. American Journal of Infection Control, 28(3), 211-221. DOI : 10.1067/mic.2000.105288 https://doi.org/10.1067/mic.2000.105288
- A. D. Stein, T. P. Makarawo & M. F. R. Ahmad. (2003). A survey of doctor' and nurses' knowledge, attitudes and compliance with infection control guidelines in Birmingham teaching hospitals. The Journal of Hospital Infection, 54(1), 68-73. DOI : 10.1016/s0195-6701(03)00074-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/s0195-6701(03)00074-4
- Y. H. Suh & H. Y. Oh. (2010). Knowledge, perception, safety climate, and compliance with hospital infection standard precautions among hospital nurses. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 16(1), 61-70.
- J. Y. Kim. (2012). Awareness and performance for standard precautions among health care workers in a general hospital. Journal of Korean Critical Care Nursing, 5(2), 49-60.
- A. Y. Kim. (2014). Awareness and performance for standards precautions by healthcare occupation at a general hospital. Unpublished master's thesis. Ajou University, Suwon.
- M. H. Lee & H. S. Kang. (2007). A comparative study on profession-specific handwashing practices of ICU health care providers. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 14(3), 297-305.
- D. Pittet et al. (2000). Effectiveness of a hospital-wide programme to improve compliance with and hand hygiene. The Lancet, 356, 1308-1312. DOI : 10.1016/s0140-6736(00)02814-2 https://doi.org/10.1016/s0140-6736(00)02814-2
- C. Salemi, M. T. Canola & E. K Eck. (2002). Handwashing and physicians: how to get them together. Infection Control and Hosp Epidermiol, 22, 5-32. DOI : 10.1086/501965
- H. J. Kim. (2000). Hospital infection surveillance and epidemic investigation. Infection, 23(4), 191-194. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01781195
- H. M. Park. (2004). A study on the level of recognition and performance of the clinical Nurses about the management of nosocomial infection. Unpublished master's thesis. Chonnam University, Gwangju.
- M. A. Choi. (2002). A study on the level of recognition and performance of the clinical nurses about the Management of Nosocomial Infection. Unpublished master's thesis. Chung-Ang University, Seoul.
- E. H. Lee, S. E. Kim, E. Y. Park, S. H. Kwon & Y. J. Ham. (2011). A study on the knowledge, performance, recognition and safety environment of the standard state for hospital infection management. Inha University Hospital Clinical Study, 7, 27-46.
- M. S. Park. (2016). Exposure to blood and body fluids and influencing factors on compliance with standard precautions among nurses in general hospital. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 17(11), 563-572. DOI : 10.5762/kais.2016.17.11.563. https://doi.org/10.5762/kais.2016.17.11.563
- M. R. Jung. (2018). Effects empowerment and regarding standard precautions for healthcare associated infection control in healthcare workers on performances. Journal of Digital Convergence, 16(2), 243-250. DOI : 10.14400/JDC,2018.16.2.243 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2018.16.2.243
- K. D. McCoy et al. (2001). Monitoring adherence to standard precautions. American Journal of Infection Control, 29(1), 24-31. DOI : 10.1067/mic.2001.111226. https://doi.org/10.1067/mic.2001.111226