- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Characteristics and Side effects Relevance of Physically Restrained Elderly Patients with Dementia in the Nursing Hospitals
요양병원에서 신체억제대를 적용한 일부 치매노인 환자의 특성과 부작용 관련성
- Kim, Su-Youn (Department of Medical Non-Commissioned Officer, Gangdong University) ;
- Chae, Kyung-Suk (Department of Nursing, Shinsung University)
- Received : 2018.02.09
- Accepted : 2018.04.20
- Published : 2018.04.28
The purpose of this study was to identify the characteristics and side effects relevance of physically restrained elderly patients with dementia in the nursing hospitals. The data were collected from nursing care providers working at the 5 nursing hospitals with survey and analyzed 190 data using SPSS 21.0 program. The finding showed that age of '75 to 84' years occupied 58.3%, '17-24' hours of the total restrained time of the day 22.6%, night time 57.4% and no fall down history 54.2%. Age showed relevance with local edema and problem of joint construction(p<.05), specifically '85 and over' years having 25% occurrence in the problem of joint construction. Walking ability showed relevance with pressure ulcer, but in the patients who could walk it showed more frequency than in the patients who could not walk. The total restrained time of the day showed relevance with skin redness, local edema, problem of joint construction(p<.05). Based on this finding, it would be necessary to apply differential care policies according to the characteristics of patients when we care the restrained patients with dementia.
- Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service. (August. 1. 2017). Healthcare bigdata hub, dementa., Healthcare bigdata hub(online). http://opendata.hira.or.kr
- Korea Health Industry Development Institute Korean Health Industry Statistics System. (August. 2, 2017). National health insurance service Annual Medical Insurance Statistics for 2015 and 2010. KHISS(online). https://www.khiss.go.kr
- Bundang Seoul National University Hospital /Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2011). Dementia elderly survey final report, Bundang publishing.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. (March. 31, 2018). National Health and Medical Care Survey final, Ministry of Health and Welfare(online), http://www.mohw.go.kr
- A. P. Retsas. (1998). Survey findings describing the use of physical restraints in nursing homes in Victoria. Australia. International Journal of Nursing Study, 35(3), 184-191. DOI :http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7489(98)00027-3 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7489(98)00027-3
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. (December. 23. 2013). Guideline for safe use of physical restraint in geriatric hospitals, Ministry of health and Welfare(online). http://www.mohw.go.kr
- D. H. Kim, C. M. Kim, E. M. Kim & M. S. Park. (2011). Application of Physical Restraints by Health personnel in Nursing Homes. Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, 13(2), 131-141.
- S. Marangos-Frost & D. Wells. (2000). Psychiatric nurses'Thoughts and Feelings about Restraint Use: a Decision Dilemma. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 31(2), 362-369. DOI : http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.200X.01290. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2000.01290.x
- A. R. Yoo & H. S. Kim. (2016). Physical restraints use and associated factors among older adults in nursing homes. Korean Health Economic Review, 22(1), 39-58.
- R. Nay & S. Koch. (2006). Overcoming restraint use: Examining barriers in Australian aged care facilities. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 32(1), 33-38. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3928/0098-9134-20060101-13 https://doi.org/10.3928/0098-9134-20060101-13
- E. Bellenger, JE. Ibrahim, L. Bugeja & B. Kennedy. (2017). Physical restraint deaths in a 13-year national cohort of nursing home residents. Age Ageing, Jan 3. [Epub ahead of print] DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afw246. https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afw246
- H. J. Lee & K. H. Kim. (2016). Perceptions and Intention of Nurses in Using Physical Restraints for Dementia Patients in Geriatric Hospitals. Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, 18(3), 159-171. https://doi.org/10.17079/jkgn.2016.18.3.159
- C. H. Kim. (2006). Characteristics of geriatric diseases. Korean Journal of Internal Medicine, Symposium. 71(2), S844-S847.
- O. Kirkevold, L. Sandvik & K. Engedal. (2004). Use of contraints and their correlates in Norwegian nursing homes, International Jouranl of Geriatric Psychiatry, 19(10), 980-988. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/gps.1197 https://doi.org/10.1002/gps.1197
- N. G. Castle, B. Fogel & V. Mor. (1997). Risk factors for physical restraint use in nursing homes: pre-and post implementation of the nursing home reform Act. Gerontologist, 37, 737-747. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/geront/37.6.737 https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/37.6.737
- M. H. Lim & I. S. Ko. (2012). Risk Factors leading to Accidents associated with the use of Physical Restraints in Nursing Homes. Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, 14(1), 1-11.
- J. Y. Kang, E. N. Lee, E. Y. Park, Y. Lee & M. M. Lee. (2013). Emotional Response of ICU Patients'Family toward Physical restraints. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing 25(1), 148-156. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2013.25.2.148 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2013.25.2.148
- S. M. Kim, Y. J. Lee, D. H. Kim, S. Y. Kim, H. Y. Ahn & S. J. Yoo. (2009). Perception, Attitude, and Knowledge about Physical Restraints among Nursing Personnel in Long Term Care Facilities, Journal of Korean Academic Society Nursing Education, 15(1), 62-71. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2009.15.1.062
- M. H. Lim & I. S. Ko. (2013). Protocol for Physical Restraints of Patients in Nursing Homes. Journal of Korean Academic Fundamental Nursing, 20(4), 345-358. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2013.20.4.345 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2013.20.4.345
- M. Yamada, et al. (2008). Incidence of Dementia, Alzheimer Disease, and Vascular Dementia in a Japanese Population: Radiation Effects Research Foundation Adult Health Study. Neuroepidemiology, 30(3), 152-160. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1159/000122332. https://doi.org/10.1159/000122332
- H. Hofmann, E. Schorro, B. Haastert & G. Meyer. (2015). Use of physical restraints in nursing homes: a multicentre cross-section al study. BioMedCentral Geriatrics, 15(129), Published online DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s12877-015-0125-x. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12877-015-0125-x
- K. Lam, et al. (2017). Factors Associated With the Trend of Physical and Chemical Restraint Use Among Long-Term Care Facility Residents in Hong Kong: Data From an 11-Year Observational Study. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, Aug 23. [Epub ahead of print]. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jamda.2017.06.018 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamda.2017.06.018
- S. H. Lim. (2016. October.31.). Domestic deme ntia patient increase by 20% annual average, The most(online). http://www.monews.co.kr
- K. J. Lee, G. S. Park & Y. S. Park. (2016). Family Member's Perceptions of Side Rail Use in Geriatric Hospital. Journal of Digital Convergence, 14(12), 503-513. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.12.503 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.12.503
- H. S. Song. (2016). A study on the Relationship among Depression, Walking and Quality of Life for the Elderly-Focusing on the Moderation Effects of Walking. Journal of Digital Convergence, 14(8), 515-525. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.8.515 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.8.515
- H. Hofmann & S. Hahn. (2014). Caracteristics of nursing home residents and physical restraint: a systematic literature review. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 23(21-22), 3012-3024. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jocn.12384 https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.12384
- R. Mohler & G. Meyer. (2014). Attitudes of nurses towards the use of physical restraints in geriatric care: a systematic review of qualitative and quantitative studies. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 51(2), 274-288. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2013.10.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2013.10.004
- S. K. Chung & E. Y. Jeong. (2016). Accidental self-removal of medical devices according to use of physical restraints: systematic review. Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, 6(11), 253-267. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2016.11.06 https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2016.11.06