- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A study on the Recognition of Material Safety Data Sheets and Safety of Handling Harmful Chemicals in Dental Hygienists
치과위생사의 물질안전보건자료 인식도와 유해화학물질 취급 시 안전 실태에 관한 연구
- Kim, Eun-Kyoung (Dept. of Preventive Dentisrty, Chonnam National University) ;
- Chung, Kyung-Yi (Dept. of Dental Hygiene, Honam University)
- Received : 2018.01.30
- Accepted : 2018.04.20
- Published : 2018.04.28
The purpose of this study was to understand the dental hygienist's perception of dental materials and to understand the safety status of harmful chemicals. The study was conducted from January to February 2015 for 250 dental hygienists working in Gwangju Metropolitan City. as a result, the degree of recognition of MSDS for dental materials was higher with age (P <0.05) and higher in dental hygienist (P <0.001) working at dental hospital. (P <0.001), and the factors affecting the perception of first aid treatment were positively correlated with experience of hazard education (P <0.001). Therefore, by understanding the MSDS awareness of dental materials by dental hygienists and the safety situation in the handling of hazardous chemical substances, we provide basic data for establishing proper recognition of safety in the handling of harmful chemical substances and developing educational programs to prevent accidents.
Dental hygienist;Dental material;MSDS;Harmful chemical substance;Safety
- Peter A. leggat et al. (2007.9.3). Occupational Health Problems in Modern Dentistry : A review , Industral healt, 45, 611-621. https://doi.org/10.2486/indhealth.45.611
- M. H. Kang & S. J. Jang. (2017). Convergent relationship between emotional labor, burnout, Job satisfaction and turnover intention in the dental hygienists. Journal of the korea convergence society. 8(8), 95-103 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.8.095
- M. S. Choi & D. H. Ji. (2015). The comparative study on changes in job satisfaction and turnover intention according to the convergence mediating factors and the level of emotional labor in dental hygienists. Journal of the korea convergence society, 6(6), 27-34 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.027
- Murray PE et al, (2007). A review of current status and a call for action. J. Endod, 33, 377-90, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joen.2006.09.013
- Hagverg S et al, (2005). Exposure to volatile methacrylates in dental personnel. j. Occup Environ Hyg, 2, 302-06, https://doi.org/10.1080/15459620590958732
- Ministry of Employment and Labor Notice No. 2013-37.
- D. G. Jang. (2010). Glossary of terms. NAVER(Online). https://www.terms.naver.com
- H. K. Kim. (2015). Hazard communication of dental materials for dental hygienists in daegu or gyeongsandbuk-do province area. Catholic University Ph.D. dissertation. Daegu.
- Enforcement Rule of Industrial Safety and Health Act Article 98 Clause 2.
- Enforcement Rule of Industrial Safety and Health Act Article 99 Clause 2.
- S. CH. Shin. (2004). Facters affecting respiratory symptoms of dental laboratory technicians, Kosin university graduate school.
- S. M. Hwang. (2016). A study on the necessity of the awareness and education of material safety data sheets of chemical substance handlers. Kyonggi University, Suwon.
- O. H. Kwon. (2016). A study on the recognition of material safety data sheets of laboratory workers. Yonsei University. Suoul.
- Kang, S. M. (2016). A study on the recognition of msds(material safety data sheets) for the health professionals , Dankook University, Chuan.
- H. K. Kim. (2014). Assessment of work-related symptoms and occupational exposure to methyl methacrylate for dental hygienists, Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Catholic University Ph.D. dissertation. Daegu.
- S. J. Moon. (2014). Requlatory policies of toxic chemical substances in korea, 19(2), 249-259.
- H. G. Joo. (2014). A Study on Effectiveness of MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) Information for Safety of Chemical Substance Treatment and Accident Prevention, doctoral dissertation, Sejong Univertity Ph D. Seoul.
- N. R. Oh & H. K. Kim. (2017). The effects of recognition of material safety data sheets in dental hygienist, Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(2), 215-223. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.2.215
- E. J. Bae. (2010) The management actual condition and recognition of material safety data sheets in dental laboratories, Korean journal of dental technology, 32(3), 20-21,
- A. T. Tiooberg, B.G . Jarvholm & A. D. Berglund. (2008). Risks with dental materials. Elsevier, 24, 940-943. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dental.2007.11.009
- Adebola Fasunloro & Foluso John Owotade. (2004). Occupational Hazards Among Clinical Dental Stsff, The Journal of contemporary dental practice, 5(2), 1-10.
- SNUS nusre. (2017). spill kit's Configuration.NAVER(Online). https://blog.naver.com/zzxxcvzzxxcv/30073562941
- M. T. Polovich & S. S. Martin. (2011) Nurses'Use of Hazardous Drug-Handling Precautions and Awareness of National Safety Guilelines. Oncology Nufsing Society, 38(6), 718-726. DOI : 10.1188/11.ONE.718-726
- T. S. Keegel, H. L. Saunders, A. T. Lamontagne & R. M. Nixon. (2007). Are material safety data sheets (MSDS) useful in the diagnosis and management of occupational contact dermatitis?. Contact dermatitis, 57, 331-336. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0536.2007.01231.x